Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Travel, Travel, Travel...the NEW old job!

OK, guys, and our Lady in Virginia - I have been on the road the past two weeks. It was Florida again last week, and this week it was Canada. I will get some time this weekend with my loved ones around here and then off toward Texas and back over the next 10 to 12 days starting Monday through Alabama.With any luck, the route will go by way of Huntsville and Mobile Monday. Tuesday will see Baton Rouge and over to Houston. Wednesday will be in Houston and to San Antonio for a business event on Thursday. Friday will be in the Austin area.And yes, I will get to see my son, his wife, and my grandson in Round Rock, Texas next weekend. After that, it is up to the DFW area, then over toward Longview and Tyler, Texas. I am pretty sure that I will end up in Shreveport and Monroe, Louisiana. The week should end with stops in Little Rock and over to Memphis before getting home near the end of the week of September 16-20.The new "old" Cadillac will get a chance to make up for the years it sat under cover at mom's place in Florida. The 96 Sedan Deville only has 22,300 miles on it now. It came to me with only 18,500 miles in July. I have had it down to Florida and back twice now.So, if any of you are along my route, sound off, and let's see if we can get some face time. Doc, I know you are a bit further west of I-35 than I plan to travel - sorry.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jerry:I have Austin plans coming up, but not in time for your arrival.Chicago twice in November I think.Doc Bryant

Wow Jerry! You're quite the Travelin' Man aren't you? I don't see where you'll be anywhere near my neck of the woods, but maybe some day. Take care with all that traveling.-Lindy :-wave (have fun)

Lindy,It has been about 8 years since I was in Virginia Beach. I will be up that way sometime this fall, but probably further north and via the Shenandoah Valley route to Philly, NYC, and Boston. I will miss you again, but hang in there, a time will come.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry, it seems like you hardly have time to deplane and get any of your NEW old work done!Dave H.

Yes but look how easy the navigating will be with that fantastic GPS system you have. Now tie that in with a fuzz buster to keep track of the radar and you're all set. :-)Have a good one,Ed "Cap'n Tall" Weber

I just navigate by what ever set of directions I get off the computer, and of course got the Valentine radar detector...and the best way to navigate, by looking out the window!And when the cigar is done it's time to stop!Doc Bryant

That is an interesting trip timer you have there Doc! And Captain Tall, the GPS Pilot is on the dash board all the way and laptop is counting down the miles each day. This is the end of day ONE in Mobile, Alabama.I have my first call here in the morning about a mile from the motel, and then the second one after lunch in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Looks like Houston is a possible target for tomorrow night, but it is not required since I have only one appointment there on Wednesday afternoon before heading for San Antonio, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry:I recall a story about an airmail pilot who used same sort of timer when flying above the clag. My kind of fellow.Or the fellow from Greece tonight who handed me a wonderful Montecristo #2. So nice.Drive safe out here! You do know we have our own airline don't you?Doc Bryant

Our own airline? Would that be a "virtual" airline?On the practical side, the boss recognizes that I am getting needed face time with customers this week and next in places that have been "sales quiet" but have bought from us in the past.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

No Jerry,It's the folks with the 737's with the orange tails. Aside from Shreveport, they pop in to most every place you have noted.Doc Bryant

Oops - Sorry... I somehow missed the paragraph about the Cadillac. When you wrote you were on the road again, I (incorrectly) assumed you meant flying -- again -- like the other job. Driving to those particular locales might actually be better than flying. By the time you consider going to the airport, the waiting, getting the rental car, blah, blah, you could be halfway to your destination. Here's wishing you and the Caddy well.So you're kind of like Chris Farley in "Tommy Boy" -- talking face-to-face to the people that matter. I recall a commercial a few years ago where the boss of the company received a call from an old loyal customer and friend. He was concerned about how communications between him and the boss's company had become more impersonal, etc., I think to the point he was going to drop the company. The boss gets everyone together, explains the situation, and hands out airline tickets and says we're going to talk to all of our customers -- in person. And when someone asks the boss where "he" is going, he replies he is going to see an old friend.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

And seeing old friends over the past two days is just what I have been doing. Tonight I am in Houston, and will be in San Antonio tomorrow night.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Yeah, they do, but from Dallas, not from ATLANTA or where I live in Chattanooga. But like Dave said, no lines, no rental cars, just cruisin' in the Caddy.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry:The way Southwest is expanding, I would expect to see their birds grace the tarmac near you one of these days.I am dreading returning to road warrior status. It's on the horizon now. I have two trips to Chicago in November already planned. And I think I will have two trips within the confines of the Republic of Texas involving overnights within the next three weeks.Then there's the upcoming Commemorative Air Force show the first weekend in October.And probably more that I do not know about, but just being kept for the right moment to dump in my lap.Doc Bryant