Sign in to follow this  

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I get a compressed folder when I download something instead of what I get now which is a file that looks like a peice of paper with the microsoft windows sign on it? This file never seems to want to open in any program so I am going to find out how it gets downloaded in a compressed folder format. Any help?? Please!!!!!!!!!!

That means you do not have Winzip installed or you did not use winzip you can download it most anywhereWhen you have it the "piece of paper " turns to a file cabinet in a clamp.Hope this is your awnser :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, what is the program that gives me a compressed folder, I don't want the clamp and file thing your talking about, the file that i'm looking for looks like a folder with a zipper on the tab. Any other help out there???

I think Anniette is correct - you need Winzip or an equivalent like Stuffit Expander. During a download, Windows stores the downloaded file in temp storage and the icon looks very similar to what you described you are getting - a piece of paper with a MS window inside. I do have Winzip on my system and when the download finishes, Winzip is automatically invoked. This brings up an open Winzip window showing the component files in the downloaded archive. At that point, I have several options. I can "Extract" the component files to a directory of my choice with or without using the author's supplied path names or, if I choose to do neither, I use the Winzip option to "Move the Archive" to a more permanent directory on my system - which leaves it as a file with a "zip" extension. It is then accessible later on at my discretion using Winzip. I believe one could call "zip" file icons "little folders with zippers around the edges" so I really do think that is what you want.Good luck,Stan V.

Same thing really, WinZip, PKZip, ZipFolders... they are all zip/unzip programs and you need at least one of them to unzip the compressed files you are looking at ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

If you are running WindowsME or WindowsXP, the operating system has built-in support for ZIP-files. It isn't very advanced, but it's easy to use. Add it through control panel->add/remove programs, select the windows componenets tab. If it is already installed, remove it, and then re-install it again.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP