Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

On the road, again!

Tonight's high speed access is complementary from the hotel via Road Runner in Tampa Bay. Just checking in to see who all is about tonight. Tomorrow I will be at the Belleview Biltmore in Clearwater, Florida for a cable vendor day. After that, heading home via the Orlando area before the run to Tennessee.Terry Dutton got his ProPilot Euro Patch installed in the UK. He seems to be very happy about having PP99 fully functional with the new flight models, etc.Does everyone have the Euro Patch, or still need it? This question is aimed at some the other newcomers checking in here.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.(in Florida tonight)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That patch is all very nice - and I should know as I have it installed - but where can all these folks get Ron Alderfer's great add-ons? Ground textures, runway textures, Philadelphia, etc.I have them in the original zipped form (still many megabytes), but with my slow modem, would be unable to send them out.Best regards.Luis

Yikes! The flak from the staff. Cease fire! I surrender.Seriously, though, Scott, thanks for the links. Everyone has been talking about the official Sierra patch, but had forgotten the really great add-ons - and there are so few - from a handful of people who believed in this game. More, it seems, than the publisher.I really like Philadelphia (Ron's ground textures, not the real city)and his ground textures change the whole look of the scenery for the better.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:I see we differ....Philadelphia. Dear oh dear. While I am quite partial to Ron's work, the City of Brotherly Love (and the City that Loves You Back) is quite a hoot to tour.....Where else can you ride "the Zooballoon"....visit the American Helicopter Museum....Eastern State Penitentiary.....Longwood Gardens...James A Michner Museum...and who could forget the Kumquat Dance Center? Dining at either Pat's or Gino's on cheesesteaks at 9th and Passyunk.The Atwater Kent Museum....the Cruiser Olympia....The Liberty Bell?Tastykakes?Oh my.Doc Bryant

Nice to hear you know about that one. A true case of management locking out the union and closing the doors for good.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Sorry Jerry,It's not Tube Radio Valhalla. This museum is on the site of the original Franklin Institute, and when the Institute moved to larger digs, A. Atwater Kent bought the place and established it as a museum of City of Philadelphia history.And since the Norman Rockwell museum closure, the collection of his works is at the Atwater Kent museum. All 300 plus of his Saturday Evening Post magazine cover illustrations are there.Doc BryantI think the night security guy listens to the Phillies games on a Philco, of course. Or is it a Stromberg Carlson?Doc Bryant

Well, Doc, those are things that only a hometown boy could say about Philadelphia. But, I guess some one has to like the place.As for me, I was raised in New Jersey (bring on the snide remarks! I shall only say that it is one of the best places to live in the U.S. and certainly no different from anywhere else - except for the West Coast. That is just too weird!)My memories of Philadelphia include getting on a school bus and being absconded on a visit to Liberty Hall and other sundry patriotic places - including numerous stops along the way at all the inns where George Washington slept. That guy spent a large part of his life sleeping, it would seem.Perhaps I should renew my memories of the place by going back to Phillie - age has a way of making one appreciate museums and history that we disdained as youth.Best regards.LuisBy the way, whatever became of the compendium of frequently-asked questions on ProPilot? - the link to these pages once appeared at the top of this Forum. I saved them and still have them as a Word document, although the Cessna performance tables were truncated in the conversion process. Although, who flies a small Cessna using performance tables?(Jerry now steps in and announces how he always flies a Skyhawk strictly by the book.)

Doc,The Norman Rockwell exhibit is traveling the country, you just caught it when it was Atwater-Kent's turn at bat. Last I heard, the Norman Rockwell Museum was still in business in Massachusetts. I went by there more than once, and caught that traveling exhibit just before it started its road trip.Yeah, I was dumbfounded that the A-K museum did not have a single example of a valve-equipped behemoth of bygone days on display. That was when I asked the guard about the name of the museum. In those days, I owned an old A-K super-het receiver, but did not have the cabinet and speaker. Incredible beauty and workmanship for an electronic box of that era: turned, stainless steel shield coils in the I.F. tuner section, copper-plated (inside) steel chassis. The tuning range was 500 to 1,500 kHz.Luis,I fly the 172 by how it feels except on take-off and approach, when I look for 70 MPH on the dash board. Other than that, I trim for climb rate or straight and level at full power unless I am doing maneuvers, then it's 100 MPH to avoid stress on me or the air frame. When I practice slow flight, it is 55-60 MPH with full flaps out. Gee, I guess I do fly by the book.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Sure, Bob, but you could have made a humorous retort about New Jersey!Glad to see you making some noise in here, though. Your comments are much too infrequent.Best regards.Luis

I don't know anything humorous about New Jersey, Luis. ;-)Actually, I visit this forum quite frequently, it's one of my normal stops. I guess I'm just not the talkative sort. Hmmm... this is post #1315 of mine since March 7... I must be jabbering incessantly somewhere. :-lol[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

That was a great jab about New Jersey, Bob. I shall remember it and repeat it often to others. Quite witty and more original than the usual "pig farms and highways" or "swamplands and concrete overshoes" jokes. Although there is a lot of that, too.Best regards.Luis

Sign in to follow this