Sign in to follow this  

Returning after a year & a half absence...with question

Hi, everybody, this is Pam C returning to the forums from a long absence filled with things like getting our first home, a new computer and--finally--my private pilot's license! I plan on being a whole lot more active here than I have been lately. I see plenty of familiar names, glad to see you are all still here and supporting each other. I was also delighted to hear that ProPilot is still alive and kicking...I read about it's new life in the April 2002 issue of Flight Training. Wish I could afford one of those motion simulators, but for now I will look forward to their promised offering of a personal computer based home version. Hope it comes out soon!!Thanks to Francois and Scott for their Hello's and to steering me back in here via the new login. My new nickname got voted in by my 5 year old, though she doesn't remember the song (and maybe I am the only one that does), Evermore is the little biplane in the children's song put out by, among others I'm sure, The Irish Rovers. Knowing as I do, especially since I got my private pilot certificate just under a month ago, that biplanes really can't outperform jumbe jets in inclement weather, the song still inspires me and I enjoy it. Just don't expect me to sing it for you all! By the way, I plan on going on to get my instrument rating and eventually a commercial-CFI/II also, but for now I must settle for the good old VFR style of flying. Which brings me to my first questions...I need to sim, and my PP98 won't run under Windows XP, will it? Our old Packard Hell--Scott remembers it well--finally gave up the ghost 2 months ago and we fell for a Hewlett Packard to replace it (I guess we thought they'd be cheaper than a Gateway or Dell, and we don't know enough about computers to have our own built, so please forgive the choice and, if you must snicker, please keep it down...).We did buy 4 years of service protection with it, so that should help me, right? It's blazing fast, though (to us anyway) at 2.26 GHZ with an Intel 4 (our old one was a 266 mhz with Cyrix), 512MB DDR SDRAM memory (some of you out there know what these letters mean, right?), and 32 MB DDR SDRAM on a NVDIA GeForce4 MX420 graphics card. (I'm just reading from the labels we haven't pulled off yet!) I was told NVDIA supports ProPilot, is that true? I was also told I could get the latest ProPilot release from a freeware site called KaZaA, but I haven't dared to try it, even to download KaZaa's search engine (any comments to that subject are welcome...). I also found out I have to replace my CH yoke and rudder pedals and get the USB models (they won't fit my ports(?)), and also replace my IP Trainer and On Top versions because they don't run under XP either. (IP & On Top I will replace later, when I know I am ready to start instrument training. I bought them thinking I would get to use them when I first started my flight lessons, but had to quit then before my first solo, over three years ago, and they never even got installed on my computer. After getting my private pilots license, though, I don't even have the money to fly for real, so here I am doing research on my impending purchases.) Oh yeah, any opinions out there on what's good for VFR sims? With PP in limbo, how about MSFS Professional, FLY, etc? Any of you have likes or dislikes? (Now that question should get LOTS of responses!) I'm so new to what's currently on the market, I don't even know what this computer and video card support. And now I even need glasses to type all this!To make a long story short, I need to get equipped to start flight simulating again, so I am back to the forums with a vengeance!! (Hey Scott, want to help me put my old Voodoo video card in this new computer?? Just kidding....) So hello again to you all, and I know I can count on you all to give lots of advice, opinions and feedback. I look forward to "flying" with you soon!!Pam Charles aka Evermore

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello PamSince you asked........And I no longer use Pro-Pilot with my newer computers----FS2002 PRO with RealAir Simulations Marchetti SF260. This flight model is by Rob Young who did all the re-programming for the original FLY models. The flight testing was also done by Peter Sidoli.Excellent flight dynamics including spins and slips. In fact, it's probably the "best" flight model in all sim land, including X-Plane, IL-2, FLY & "Pro-Pilot". Another real nice and authentic aircraft is the Dreamfleet ArcherII. It also has an excellent virtual cockpit, as does the SF260........ which makes virtual flight a whole lot more authentic!Edit again----- The above two aircraft are payware. In the last few years, models have gotten very complicated and require thousands of hours of programming, research, etc. In nearly all cases, this is now done by teams of programmers that specialize in what they do best. You will find a few good freeware planes, but not many that are up to the realism of the payware.L.Adamson

Glad to see you made it in, Pam. And I was wondering what had become of you. :-)Glad to hear you scored a much better computer and that Packard Bell gave it up. You mentioned PP98. It's been so long and I cannot remember if you had PP99 also or not. If you only have PP98, it didn't ever run in anything but software graphics acceleration. So you can install it on the new computer and it should work fine. If you are trying to run PP99 which did support running hardware graphics acceleration, it will require a 3dfx card, namely some type of Voodoo card. Running PP99 in software acceleration wasn't too pretty at all. And your NVidia card is only going to run it in software acceleration. As for downloading a copy of PP99 from the internet, any copies you find would be illegal. I don't know if it is still possible to purchase PP99 anywhere out there.I can't remember if your Voodoo card was an addon or not. If it was an addon, you could put in in your new computer alongside your new video card to run PP99.As for opinions about Fly! or MSFS, you can find things to like and dislike about all of them. Not long ago, I saw copies of Fly! 2 in Sam's for $9.99 and I believe Best Buy still caries a 5 pack of flight software for $15 and it includes Fly! 2. For that price, it's definitely worth checking out. You would likely find MSFS2002 worth it also although you won't find it real cheap. :-)But with your new system, you could certainly enjoy either Fly! or MSFS in their full glory.Finally, a big congratulations on earning your private license. That is a great achievement. And trust me, I know exactly what it is like to get that and not have enough money to fly. I've even got my instrument certification also. Sigh.....Great to have you stopping by again!

Pam.... WELCOME BACK!!! :-jumpyCongrats on the house, the new computer and your PPL. Flying is fun, isn't it? Wish I'd had a flight simulator when I was taking flight lessons.Scott gave you good info about PP98 and PP99. I regretfully no longer have PP99 installed on my machine, but I have used both Fly!2 and MS Flight Sim 2002 Pro. Both programs are excellent IMO and your computer should run either or both of them well. It's still possible I think to find Fly!2 for cheap and if you're lucky (like I was), you might even find FS2K2 Pro on sale someplace -- I got mine for $45 (instead of $70).If you want to practice VFR flying, then you definitely need to check out the Bush Flying forums here at Avsim. Bush flying uses primarily MSFS2K2 but you can use any simulator with the necessary scenery. I'll admit though the freeware bush sceneries are done mostly for FS2K2 and they are excellent. The greatest number of sceneries are set up in Alaska/Canada/Pacific Northwest.Glad to have you back with us. Just take some time to get acquainted again with the place. Come visit the bush flying forums, check out the jobs posting forum and read some of the PIREPS (especially those done by Heather Sherman!!!!) You'll find something to suit your fancy, I'm sure. Enjoy your real world flying, your new house, new computer and whatever flight sim(s) you decide on. -Lindy :-wave

The speed of your new computer is GREAT, but...We have heard some folks trying to run PP99 on machines after Windows 98 having problems, like mouse clicks not working, etc.The only drivers that work in Win2000 and later are made by die-hard Voodoo fans, not 3Dfx or STB since basically all Voodoo cards no longer are made or supported by a "factory team". There are success stories about getting Voodoo cards to run with modern machines and operating systems. But that still leaves you with PP99 software issues with later operating systems. Let us know if yours works in the blocky video mode on the clouds, then we will talk about getting a video card for you. Look at some of my posts below for Voodoo availability on www.pricewatch.com and Voodoo drivers, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

I don't want to be rotten, or put a damper on the parade. But with a new high powered CPU and video card............. I can't think of ONE reason why I'd want to run Pro-Pilot 99! As one of it's strongest supporters about four years ago, I must now say that it is really behind the times now. Especially in scenery, airport elevations, graphics, and resolution. L.Adamson

Even with its flaws, it still "feels" like an airplane. I ran FS2002 on the same machine I run PP99 on with a Voodoo 5 and I still prefer PP99. Sorry...Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>Even with its flaws, it still "feels" like an airplane. I >ran FS2002 on the same machine I run PP99 on with a Voodoo 5 >and I still prefer PP99. Sorry... >Years ago, after numerous flight simulations, it was a "turning around a point" over San Francisco in SP98 that hooked me on Pro-Pilot. The wing view and just the dampening feel of rolling motions really worked! But honestly............... if you have not tried an aircraft such as the RealAir Simulations Marchetti 260 for FS2002, then you're missing out! It's flight dynamics combined with a very well done virtual cockpit, go a long way in conveying the feel and look of slips, spins, and just good old landings! Once experiencing this, I strongly doubt you're prefence would remain with PP99............... but if it does, I think I still have two (un-used) Pro-Pilot tee-shirts!! :) Besides--- I've heard Voodoo's have problems with FS2002 anyway.L.Adamson

Hi, Scott, good to hear from you again also, and thank you for the congratulations on my license. I'm now looking for a place to rent C-172's that's reasonable, as I can't do it at the flight school I graduated from(college type situation), but hopefully I'll get up soon. Closer to the ground...It's been so long since I flew my PP I couldn't remember what I had...it's PP99, and the old Voodoo card I had was a Voodoo 2 3D card, 3dfx. I'm not sure it will even handle the new computer, but I'd be happy to try it, after I take it out of the old Packard. With all the trouble I had trying to put it in my computer before, though, I think I may check out prices on more recent Voodoos.I hope you don't mind, here's another question, will my old CH Products yoke and rudder pedals work with USB ports? I heard there was a converter I could get to plug them in with, but that sounds really iffy. They have 15 pin plugs on them currently, and I have 2 open USB ports in the front (yahoo, the front!!) of my HP. The new digital USB yokes and pedals are nice though.......Anyway, as you can see I have some catching up to do with my flight simming. Last year they had MSFS2002Pro at the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc convention here in Ft Lauderdale, but I didn't pay too much attention to the display of it because I would have needed a new computer to fly it. Now that I have one,(hmmm, that seaplane looks fun..)...By the way, that person with all the info on ProPilot and free downloads from KaZaa never e-mailed me back. That alone makes me wonder...I stick with people I can trust for information, like you and the folks here.Happy to be back!Pam

Hi, I was wondering if you were still here, good to hear from you! You are right about finding MSFS2002 for cheaper, I've already seen them with a $20 rebate. I still like my old PP99 though, but I'm just getting back into things here. I may also have to upgrade my yoke and rudder pedals to USB before I can even fly FS2002 or Fly2, so we'll see. I'm here to do some research!!I will definitely check out that bush flying forum you mentioned...what's this job's posting forum and the PIREPS from Heather?? I'll have to go see...But right now it's after 1 am and I have to go to sleep! Besides getting my license, I still work evenings from 6 to midnight and now have 2 of our 3 kids in school (instead of homeschooled). I can't sleep in with them anymore, I have to get up in 5 hours...Good to chat with you again!Pam

Pam, some things will work with a little usb adapter plug, but I'm not sure about the CH Products. If you don't get an answer hear, it may be worth an email direct to CH Products. My MS Sidewinder joystick is setup that way. Actually has a gameport plug with an adapter to usb. Then my mouse is reversed from that. It came with an adapter to go f

Pam Evermore,Welcome back. I will desist with the advice because others are better equipped to give you that. But let me say that I encourage you to try PP99 again, especially if you can get a Voodoo card to go with it. It is still quite pleasing and fun although four years on, there are better programs out there. And since you qualify as a serious simmer, with an instrument ticket in mind, get some of them too and then settle for what YOU like best. And you don't have to apologize if it is PP99 after all!!Regards,Meekal

Hi Evermore, uh I mean Pam.Welcome back and congrads on your PP license. Way to go.I won't be shy on my advise about what sim to use to prepare for the instrument ticket.With over 18,000 hrs and a couple thousand hours of actual instrument time I think I am qualified to give an opinion. I will admit I have FS2002 on my machine and it has some nice features, but I still use PP99 to practice for my instrument check ride every six months. It's the most stable and flies the most like my Baron.Glad to have you back and if you have any questions about instrument flying you can drop me a line at flyers@citlink.net.Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot/Cap'n Tall

I don't think my PP99 works on the new computer at all. I installed it once to check out the 3d effects with the NVIDEA card, and could not seem to get it to look right in full screen mode. I didn't have the chance to try it in the smaller screen version--didn't like it that way--and over the next day or so had a few programming glitches with the rest of my computer. My husband and I had to go back a few days to restore previous computer settings, and the PP was gone (except for the links to the website, which are no good anymore anyway.) So I have not reinstalled it yet. I'll check out those links for the Voodoo cards that you suggested, and just go browsing here for a while before I do much more.Thanks for the help!Pam

Thanks, Meekal, I agree with you on that! I still like PP99 because it's more a teaching program than a game (IMHO), and I sure do hope that the current owners come out with a personal home version soon, as promised. I want to get my PP99 back and running, and I will still probably get MSFS as well to try out, too. The more the merrier, while I'm on the ground flying!I do eventually want to get my Instrument rating, when the funds are more forthcoming, and plan on adding IP Trainer and On Top to my list of goodies, but I want to be careful not to get too involved with them prior to my instrument training. Don't want to learn any bad habits!!Thanks for the encouragement!Pam C