Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

A confession

I am heartened to see that we have folks coming back to the Avsim Pro Pilot forum after lengthy absences. And it's also very nice to see the welcoming committee in action. And as usual, touting the latest and greatest stuff from the other guys. That, I have come to expect, and even anticipate with great delight.Someone with more money, time and talent than I is always out there sampling the other guys stuff. I appreciate that. It has saved me a considerable amount of pesos. Rather like having a Consumer Reports feature here.*But I have fallen prey to the enticements of Microsoft. And I regret it. I bought Train Sim. It was supposed to have the latest and greatest graphics. I could understand that, Microsoft bought the code from some other outfit.With the help of a dear friend, I went on a downloading frenzy. In one folder alone I have over one half gig of locomotives, cars, add on scenery-a blimp even. Stuff beyond scope and score, to ad nauseum.And there are more folders out there on the Electron Leviathan and Leviathan Lite.I find many add on's are mere patches. Correcting the physics, correcting the sound files, correcting this, correcting that. Why, it's just like any other Microsoft product! And to think that Microsoft now has outside developers skilled in making buggy products. Technology advances unceasingly!And you go to the forums that are focusing on the product and you see people taking pot shots and nit picking. Agreeably, much of it's deserved, to make a better product. But there is a whackingly large amount of it from folks who just want to show off the fact that they know what wire gauge is used to connect the #43 console lamp cluster to the ground point. This coming from the folks that would not know when to use the train brake and when to use the independent brake. Or how to defeat the alerter...So, to get Train Sim more realistic, I have downloaded, tweaked, patched, gotten prototypical data from friends. Having done all that, it still is in my humble overweight opinion, a piece of excrement.So, I go out and fire up PP99, diddle with the CitationJet, and calm down.I had to download only some drivers for the Voodoo card. One download. One. Did I mention only 1 download? And the cost? Zilch.I am sure some of the stuff available for the other flight sims must cost a few bob. I know not all of the stuff for Train Sim was free.And as I get into the greying years, money I do not pissaway on computer stuff I can waste elsewhere. Brother Maynard, my Steyr SSG, trips hither and yon, that sort of thing all happily need assets allocated to them.I can not say honestly that these new mega downloads for the other flight sims are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I will note some of the panels look very nice. If they worked. I do know that I have yet to see anything in Train Sim that reminds me of hanging out the window, throttle in run 8, just to listen to a EMD 645 seranade me. The only place that sim has gotten good is in the air horn department.So, I am going to stick with PP, since it's pretty darn realistic in the physics department. And it demands little care, feeding and assets to make it work. I trust this will be the last time you all shall hear me speak of simulators other than Pro Pilot in the Pro Pilot forum. Please accept my deepest apologies for even mentioning some other program thingey here.Doc BryantNot the Moderator, Zoo Keeper, or what ever. I rather like "Defender of the Faith." :-sword*I can't wait to see what that stirs up. Probably some earth shoe wearing vegatarian clad in a PETA or No Fur top is going to take me to task for the misuse of CR's vital essence. Pardon me whilst I load a gun....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I trust this will be the last time you all shall hear me >speak of simulators other than Pro Pilot in the Pro Pilot >forum. Please accept my deepest apologies for even >mentioning some other program thingey here. >>It troubles me greatly................... but I'll somehow attempt to forgive!L.Adamson

Doc,I love it! After all, it only took three patches to get things in PP99 to a level we all could live with. Even if some of the field elevations and a few mountain tops are off by a few hundred feet, it still "feels right" in the stick and rudder department. Yes, I know it won't slip or spin, but then most of my flights are just plain old "cross country" even in the real world.It is nice to see some activity here again. I hope our newbies all appreciate what has transpired here. Fire retardent suits were not required, as usual. That is of course a far cry from the early days of this forum.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>I had to download only some drivers for the Voodoo card. >One download. One. Did I mention only 1 download?Well, for me it was only 1 download, but for patch 1.03 (didn't buy it soon enough for the earlier patches). I already had the V2 for another flight sim/game -- Jetfighter III (I've been supercruising the F-22 since early '98 - BTW, saw a real F-22 and its chase plane last week flying around the neighborhood. I was listening to the tower freq, and it had a cooling problem and they were bringing it in). The improvement the 3dFx chip made in that game was simply amazing. Like PP99, most notably in the clouds, but also in frame rate and smoothness. When I saw the 3dFx logo on the PP99 box, I thought "why not?", and I was not, and still am not disappointed.>I can not say honestly that these new mega downloads for the >other flight sims are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But what about that mother of all downloads - 10 superduper files for the Europe "patch?" 'Course, it wasn't necessary for the US. And, if one subscribed to their ISP option of $XX/mo for unlimited use, then those were in essense "free." But, even though I didn't intend on flying in Europe much, and still haven't, I downloaded too. It was the only way to make Gibraltar show up. I do like flying in/out of Innsbruck, though.>...it's pretty darn realistic in the physics department. And it>demands little care, feeding and assets to make it work. That's pretty much why I like it - and it's essentially ready to run out of the box. Even with the improvements in other sim's over PP99, by no means has it be relegated to "Pong" status -- and won't be for some time. But if it's good enough for real flight training, then it's good. I recall a few years ago it was either here or at the S***** PP99 forum, someone said that during his flight training his instructor had to break him of a bad habit he'd learned using PP99. I don't think he stated what habit it was - but except for the not-completely-realistic rudder, I don't know what bad habit it would have been.Some day it "will" be a "very amateurish" sim - I realize that. I'm waiting for the advent of full-color, REAL 3D, full-room holographic images complete with Dolby Digital/DTX or whatever the standard will be that day.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Doc! A Steyr SSG? A Steyr SSG!!!http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3da2c702665816cf.jpgAre you getting ready for the invasion? I hope you are not taking potshots at the gophers - sure seems like overkill!(By the way, I got the picture here:http://www.snipercountry.com/photogallery/PG_Weapons.htmin case you are making up your Christmas list.)But, I certainly agree with you that this is only a game. Some people are willing to spend thousands on computer, memory, graphics card, yoke, etc. for a $50 game. To each his own.I prefer to save up my pennies for the day when I can buy my own Raytheon light jet - no more obsessive security procedures at the airport! Or maybe I should get my own Steyr and show up at the airport with it - "you talking to me? huh, you talking to me?"Best regards.LuisS.I.C., and proud of it

Brother Luis:If you saunter through security with a weapon like that above, I would bet you would be subject to a full cavity search...My Steyr is more civilised looking than that gaudy piece. Just something I bought for the Benchrest National shooting championships.I did not go full obsessive in getting computer hardware. I did get a Voodoo five video card. And a gig of DDR memory on the Leviathian Lite. But I am still using my original Logitech Digital joystick.Doc Bryant

There was a show on, I think, the History Channel. There was a segment on a particular rifle used by the US military that was a booming .50 cal, single shot, bolt action. The bolt came completely out of the gun. The round was mounted on the bolt and reinserted.It had some sort of hi-tech sighting mounted that corrected for range and windage and could really reach out there and touch a target with accuracy.I don't want say things that are not so, but, I think I rememer the thing being effective at ranges that approached 3/4 mile.Anyone know of this rifle?Joe

I was originally thinking of including this with my other pictures in my Mt. Snow, VT, thread, but didn't think my wife would like such a clear picture of herself, and you really need a person next to the double barrel shotgun to appreciate its size. But now that the barn door is open, so-to-speak, I'm including it here. She's standing just a couple of inches in front of it. It is in the Phelps Barn, in Grafton, VT, where we listened to the jazz quartet later in the evening.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Joe:The USMC made do with the M-2 50 Cal machine gun (Ma Deuce) with an optical sight attached. It was quite accurate out to one mile. Enough to easily handle pest control duties....There is a firm making a bolt action 50 cal. One of the local constabulary officers has one. It is my firm belief that he was dropped on his head shortly after his transit through the birth canal.It's made by an outfit called Barrett. Note link below to pictures of same in action.http://www.specialoperations.com/Weapons/L...y/default2.htmlDoc Bryant

Brother Bryant,If I may call you that, sir. The honour is mine. You have made the last statement on the subject as far as I'm concerned, for me as well. I could not agree more. No more will I read these posts praising and parsing flight simulators and bite my tongue, I promise. I'll simply ignore them, yes, and move on to teasing our well-armed carribean friend. Last I checked they don't make guns with that kind of DR-Canader range (what is it, 3000 km? Too warm there anyway!) ted,faithful but not evangelical.CYHU Montr

Brother Ted of the Also Faithful:Biting one's tongue is an ignoring behavior, if only outwardly visible in that the throng and rabble here do not see the results of your mandible action in print. By all means read the posts hailing what ever new comes down the pike. You can two things with them (at least!) later:1. Hold them to see what the author says when the next sim debuts.2. Hold them to see if the author changes his mind in six weeks.On the subject of teasing Brother Luis. Do you think that is a wise course of action? I mean, he twigged to what a Steyr SSG was. The sort of fellow who knows that may well have had some experience to back up his knowledge.Upon pondering that, I say, "Oh pish posh, have after it." He's good sport, as everyone is here. And I don't mind being on the receiving end of it either. One of the places I frequent sports the regular entertainment of a wonderful jazz piano player. When he catches sight of me, he plays "Baby Elephant Walk." Reason enough that I have learned to enjoy the soap operas from astride some exercise bicycle at the local sweat shoppe/fitness boutique across the way. I have indeed learned that it is not a wise course of action to trundle in there and change the telly to CNN. Not when the room is brimming with women that have wonderfully muscular legs, also possessing the desire to keep up to the minute with "All My Children." I sometimes wonder if they know anything about Professional Wrestling. Perhaps I shall ask one of them. I know, I will bring a few Milky Way bars. That will get their attention quicker than a shower of Andrew Jacksons.....Doc Bryant

Well, Doc, I took some potshots in my youth on a BB gun, but generally, I am a small-arms man. Not fire-arms, although I do hanker after a regulation Beretta 92B (I know, they jam. So what?)Here on the farm, we have an armory of 52" razor-sharp machetes - more wicked than a Swiss army knife and seems to have just as many uses. Well, maybe it is not a small-arm.Occasionally, the police set up roadblocks and search everyone for weapons. While they do turn up a lot of illegal guns, they mostly confiscate machetes. So, I suppose it is not just an agricultural implement. Pretty amusing to see the police chief on television announcing the great success of the operation and showing 200 confiscated machetes.Just a small vignette of life in the Third World.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:So the Police set up roadblocks and confiscate machetes. How do they tell a bad machete from one that is used on your estate?I am thinking it must be difficult to conceal a machete about one's person, much less getting a concealed machete permit.I will thankfully stick where I am.Doc Bryant

>Well, Doc, I took some potshots in my youth on a BB gun, but generally, I am a small-arms man.> Not fire-arms, although I do hanker after a regulation Beretta 92B (I know, they jam. So what?) Hi Luis, well, Berettas are my personal protection weapons.All you forum old-timers know I'm a gun-nut with a concealed carry license.I just don't wear them except on bear/cougar country hikes with the dog.Can't get more politically incorrect than these pictures I just took.Dan "I own more guns than I need, but not as many as I want" PurselBeretta 92F Centurion 9mm (the big one). Beretta Tomcat 32 Auto (the little "mouse" gun).9 mm plastic "paddle" holster & mag carrier by Fobus of Israel slip over your belt. Good stuff.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3da717bd1f89aadf.jpgLong guns. Always locked in gun safe. Yes, I've got a lot more than these two.Remington 700 bolt-action in .308 Winchester, stainless fluted barrel, composite stock, 6x-24x power x 50mm scope.(I use it for target shooting. The FBI and police use it for, well, you know ...)1866 "Yellow Boy" Winchester lever-action replica in .45 Long Colt (a pistol cartridge).http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3da71c6a436b8081.jpg

Hello Dan,That Winchester is simply beautiful.Was that a limited-edition replica?If only all arms looked like that!Best regards.Luis