Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Mt. Snow Airport, VT

Well, I did surprise my wife with the trip to Vermont. I didn't even tell her we were going to VT until we got in the rental car in Albany, NY. We were there 27-30 Sep. The leaves hadn't really started changing yet - about 1 1/2 weeks behind schedule. Mt Snow airport (4V8) is not in PP99, but its NDB, VWD, is. Real elevation is 1953 ft, - PP99 will put you on the ground there at about 1990 ft. It's 1 mile SW of West Dover, 2650 x 75 ft., no taxiway, landing fee of $5, $3 for 1st passenger, etc. No real maintenance there, but they have a pool table, a couple of gas grills, and at least one resident canine.We rode a chair lift to Mt Pisgah, 3605 ft. I like the sign on the chairlift post - "Vermont State Law - Lower Safety Bar".And then there's the typical picturesque New England church - very pretty.One unexpected activity - we listened to a jazz quartet one evening in a cozy setting in an old barn-like building, called appropriately enough, Phelps Barn at the Old Tavern.One other thing I didn't expect - several windmills providing power to 2000 homes, with a small, and old, cemetery just down the hill. To the right of that picture are two markers dated 1867 and 1897. The youngest, 1997. Here's to you, Mr. O'Brien.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Charming, Dave. Simply charming.If I may ask, is there any particular reason why you chose this locale for a visit? Seems to be quite out of the way.Best regards.Luis

Hi Dave,Nice windmills! You should see their Geothermal systems though :) Quite a bit of controversy at the moment in the state about the aesthetics of wind turbines ruining the views of the Green Mountain state (we get Burlington local TV here). My new job is marketing alternative energy, ground source heat pumps in particular, so if anyone wants any information...email me off the forum. :)Thanks for the shots in general, nice ones, and it sounds like a great trip. I was looking at the leaves just today on the quickie train trip home from Ottawa -- all turned now. It's now definitely the time to do VT --> Maine --> Halifax. cheers,tedCYHU Montr

1) Because it "was" out of the way (although it does look alot like Northen GA and East TN). Haven't been in that corner of the US (except for a 3-day trip to NY City 30 yrs ago). Maybe fly in to that airport someday.2) Score lots of brownie points with the wife (can never have too many points).3) Maple syrup.4) Practise my northern and NY accents, and trade stories with people who know what a real blizzard is like (though there are a lot of transplants here in GA - just like us).5) Not a good time to go on a cruise ship in the tropics.6) Had to come up with a good excuse for not going to Reno.7) To show what the opposite of Sedona, AZ looks like. 'Course, it'd look even more opposite with about 3 ft of snow.Thanks for enquiring!PS - I do like your pictures, Dan P. - honest - that's one thing's this Forum's all about.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

>Quite a bit of controversy at the moment in the >state about the aesthetics of wind turbines ruining the >views of the Green Mountain state.I guess if they were on every ridge they'd start looking gaudy.But I thought they looked rather "natural". A real bonefide non-polluting method of generating power. Plus, I've seen them before in the plain states. They just look impressive, and as safe as a nuclear plant can be, the worst they could do is fall over (hopefully not sling a blade or two or three).Someday they'll figure out how to store all the juice from a lightning stroke. Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Well, I'm glad you don't mind the turbines up there, but get 5,000 in one spot or on absolutely every hill in the State, and you might.... Good news is that there's all kinds of great alternative technology out there, and it's now starting to become affordable, mostly due to issues of scale and cost of petrol-based resources. Windmills are among the most visible, but I spend my whole day shopping geothermals to Canadian power companies and the hard part is not the technology, it's the suits' minds stuck in the 'boost production = make money' rut. Utilities can make money on this stuff, in fact next Spring the downtown core of Toronto will be mostly geothermal-heated & cooled via basically a big open tube to the bottom Lake Ontario. More about it at http://www.enwave.com/enwave/CYHU Montr

Me thinks there are shades of Dr. Emmett Brown here! 1.21 Gigawatts?Channel that energy into the FLUX CAPACITOR, which is what makes time travel possible...Let me get this straight, Doc... You built a time machine out of a Delorean?Yeah, I figure if you're going to build a time machine, it should have a little class. Besides, the stainless steel structure makes the flux dispersal...(yada, yada, yada)Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry:You're not talking to me, I hope. I once made modern art sculpture out of a Cadillac Eldorado.......My older brother launched a Bel Air into a railway bridge....my younger brother broke a Ford 9N tractor in two....Nah, gotta be some other Doc....Doc Bryant

> 7) To show what the opposite of Sedona, AZ looks like. Hi Dave, yep, green grass and trees is a nice change.Traveled near that area in 1990 on a motorhome loop fromMich > Ontario > Quebec > Gasp Penn. > PEI > Cape Breton Isle> Nova Scotia > Maine > New Hamp/Vermont > Northern NY > home.We always planned to go back to spend more time, but never have.Nice pictures ! ! !Dan