Sign in to follow this  
XWRed5

Qualities of a dedicated flight simmer??

What sort of qualities would you say a serious and dedicated flight simulation enthusiast needs?For starters, I would say attention to flying as near as possible to real world requirements.David

I don't want to start an argument, but consider for a moment there are *lots* of different definitions as to what a "serious and dedicated flight simulation enthusiast" actually is.One of the beautiful things, IMHO, about flight simulation is that it offers so much to so many different kinds of people. Some folks want to achieve their PPL -- for them your requirements certainly apply. Others want to fly VA -- ditto there.But others may appreciate other aspects of the simulation. The appreciation (and education) for geography, enjoying flying the older planes, the creation of airplanes (modeling and/or painting), the improvement and creation of scenery, meshes, programs, etc. etc. For those individuals, no less serious and dedicated to the program, flying close to real world requirements may not be particularly important, if at all.I fall into the latter category -- I can't say I'm not serious about my sim (I've certainly spent the money and the time over the last 17 years flying some version of MSFS back before it was even MS) but I don't care about flying real world (indeed, I know I'd never be able to put up with the restrictions). I just love flying over the places that, for the most part, I'll never be able to visit in real life. I love swooping down and flying under the Golden Gate bridge. I love touch and go flying in LAX, dodging in and out of the big iron. I love landing the float planes on the smallest possible drop of water imaginable. In short, I love doing a thousand things that, in Real Life, would get my PPL license pulled in a hot N.Y. minute.For people like myself, all we need are the time and dedication (and hardware and software!) to enjoy this wonderful activity. I can't believe I'm alone in feeling this way.

Very happy to hear your comments.Simming indeed has many facets and something for everyone. My own personal likes are flight planning using Jepp and DOD publications, determining the weather off of NOAA ... and flying small 5-800 mile legs around the world. I prefer Midrange commercial aircraft like the DF 737 and my new toy the PSS Airbus ... but still use PIC when I have to fly further than 1000nm .. (who knows why .. that's my rule). I keep the world atlas open and see what I am overflying because of my interest in geography, topography and maps. I fly all the time with FS-Meteo because it adds the real weather dimension .. so I can use the NOAA weather in my flight planning. (Waiting for the day when a real weather radar is available for my flight path . understant that it is almost here with Flight Max)Have not tried a Virtual airline ot Vatsim .. finding MSFS ATC perfect for my flights (well it could be way better ..) but waiting for Radar Contact 3.0.When I an really serious about handling problems and challenges (not too often)I fly PIC with failures set up .. or for even more challenge .. fly PS1.3.So .. something for everyone // absolutely ... I never had the real desire to fly GA because of the expense. I wish I had the creative talent to design and paint aircraft ... maybe someday .. but I really appreciate the efforts of others providing me with such a variety of liveries for my aircraft. When flying short hops in Thailand it's nice to hope into a Thai 737-400 ... or a Silk Air A320.I have been doing FS since the days of the TRS-80 ... I remember a F-15 simulation way back then ... and FS on the Apple IIe, and then on the Mac for a while there was Fokker Triplane ... really great plane to fly .. then P-51 Mustang ... .every version of flight sim ..Happy Landings!