Sign in to follow this  
Guest dfoulk

voodoo2 getting along with a geforce 3?

Does anybody have a voodoo2 working along side of a geforce 3 agp, running PP99, on win98se?I have never got the two to shake hands and let me run pp99 in glorious 3d!Thanks for any bits of wisdom that might be of help :)Den

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Den, try sending both of them to their own rooms for timeout and then come back and try it again. :-)Seriously, we need a little more info. Were you successful in getting both cards installed together? If so, then we can probably assume both cards are working correctly. The next thing is to make sure once you load up PP99, you invoke the magic command to bring abount glorious 3D. Try pressing Alt+Enter and see if that flips it into 3D. If that works, it will remember to load in 3D mode next time.

Scott,It is amazing how often folks sometimes forget that little trick.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

What's more amazing is that after all this time, I actually remember it. Unfortunately, it is probably the only thing I remember. :-)

Hi Scott,It's not the magic command that's missing. I am wondering if AGP has some sort of priority over the PCI slot? The Geforce is of course the AGP card. The motherboard is a QDI, but I am wondering if it is some sort of a bios conflict, because the voodoo never seems to show up, no matter what I try. I never had such a problem when the 2 video cards were both PCI. I was just wondering if anyone had such an arrangement working on their system. I need the GeForce, or I would just go the voodoo primary card route. I guess I miss PP99 these days :(There have been a few sims since way back when, but PP had it's own special spirit, even still!Den

Hi Den,I got hold of PP99 about 3 months or so ago. Just before I installed it, my motherboard went up the spout (an oldish Socket 7 designb with an AMD k6-3 450 in it). This board I had used without problem for the last 4 years, with various video cards, and just before it broke, I was using a Voodoo5 5500 PCI alongside a Geforce2 GTS AGP.Both cards co-habited without any issues whatsoever for over 18 months. I had the best of both worlds.So, I got myself a new Gigabyte mobo, Athlon XP1800+ CPU, 512mb or DDR RAM etc, and built my new system with the rest of the components from my old system (which were quite current).To cut a potentially long story short, I could NEVER get the Voodoo5 to work in this new motherboard. There is some compatibility problem, it just won't work. I have tried everything I can muster at my disposal, and I eventually knocked it on the head and gave up. I now have my new mobo with just the Geforce2 GTS AGP, and my Voodoo5 5500 PCI is sat gathering dust, until I can get another motherboard (probably an older one) to build a second system for PP99.Now, I know the Voodoo2 is not a primary video card, but if your QDI board is a recent model, they may have similar compatibility issues. Mobo manufacturers obviously do not test with such Voodoo cards any more (do they even test any PCI video cards?).I basically narrowed my problem down to the ACPI BIOS issuing BIOS calls to the card which it did not respond too. Even after I tried hacked 3rd party BIOSes in my new mobo I could not get it to work. The Voodoo5 was fine in about 7 other PC's (of an older generation) which I tried it in.Search back a few months for threads with 'Tonight's the night - again...' in the subject for the full long-winded sorry story.I fear you may be out of luck, unless you could give much more detail as to how you have installed and setup the two cards, driver versions, device manger info etc.Many RegardsChris E (the PP99 wisher)http://www.circle-software.co.ukhttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris,There are still mother boards available that will run your AMD K6-3 450 processor and your Voodoo 5. ATC5220 ATREND PII AND MMX AND AMD K6-2/K6/K5, Cyrix/IBM 6x86MX/M II and IDT WinChip C6. Look at this web page I located via www.pricewatch.com for more details:[http://www.piranhatech.com/products/viewproduct.asp?catid=1048&subcatid=2139&manufacturer=ATREND&productid=3271]Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Sign in to follow this