Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

The Game is Afoot...

No mystery here, I ordered the empennage kit for the RV-9A. I also placed an order for the RV tool kit with Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. Tomorrow is the day I get the air compressor, drill press and bench grinder. Work tables get constructed next week or possibly over the weekend. We shall see...In about a week, I should receive the kit from Van's Aircraft and begin work on the tail sections.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Way to go Jerry! If you hurry, I'm sure you can catch Larry around the corner. :-lol

You've got my admiration.I expect pictures and more pictures along the way. :-kewlDan

adventure you're beginning, Jerry.If you don't already have one, could I suggest a "trick" little tool you'll find use for...a Hole Finder.http://www.the-russells.com/~shepardc/bus/...scellaneous.htmhttp://www.tpub.com/air/13-4.htmhttp://www.ddaircraft.com/subcategory.cfm?...&Category=TOOLSOne of our local EAAers built an RV-3. Took him a long time to finish it. But, he had a young family at the time and that responsibility wouldn't let him stay on the project. He did finish it, though.

I have seen those gadgets before. Nifty!One of the comments in the Thursday night meeting of the Tennessee Valley RV Builders Group was that with the new pre-punched kits from Van's, they wondered why anyone would bother with a quick-build version of the kit. It really goes together quickly since there is NO LAY OUT to be done anymore.As for me, I hope to do this project in 18 to 24 months. Here is hoping for a good working schedule, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Thanks, Luis. I see we are both up early this Saturday morning. I am off to Lowe's building supply center shortly to get the air-compressor, bench grinder, and drill press when they open up at 9 AM.I have been awake since a bit after 4 AM thinking about all that is coming my way in the next year or so. The stories from the members of TVRVBG about building and flying are urging me on to get this thing done as quickly as job and finances will allow.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>I have been awake since a bit after 4 AM thinking about all >that is coming my way in the next year or so. The stories >from the members of TVRVBG about building and flying are >urging me on to get this thing done as quickly as job and >finances will allow. >It's my jealousy of all my buddies RV's flying over my house in the airport pattern, that keeps me going!! :)Working on wiring and transceiver this weekend. They say, that when your project is 90% done (looks like a whole airplane), then you still have 90% to go! I think they're right! It's surprising just how much system work can be crammed into these small planes.The only "biggies" expense wise, that I have left, is a transponder, constant speed prop governor, and a strobe lighting system.My RV -- getting closer, and someone elses that helps inspire me!

Now the fun? begins Jerry.Don't be like a friend of mine that built a homebuilt. He would say "Gee only one rivit holding that, I'll add one for the wife and one for each kid, that should hold it" Or "that bracket's only 3/32 I'll bet it would be stronger if I made it 1/8" By the time he was finished beefing up the darn thing it weighted 30lbs more than it should have. :-)Oh and don't forget to get in a good supply of band aids for all those nicks and cuts and tell the neighbors not to call the police when they hear a lot of screaming and yelling. :-lolEd Weber a.k.a Cap'n Tall

Ed,I know what you mean. I managed to work all day and only got a scrape in the last hour on my left arm. Today's results are a 3x6-foot work table on casters for empennage construction and general use, and the table to hold the bench grinder, drill press, and vice - also on casters. I got the drill press assembled and it is ready to bolt to the table along with the grinder and vice. I have to do the final assembly on the 20-gallon air compressor tomorrow as well.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Oh and Jerry, make sure that when you get the wings on it, you can still get it out of the garage (or wherever it's being assembled)! :-lol Larry: It's looking real good now. I especially like that sliding canopy. ;-) -Lindy :-wave

In a ONE-CAR garage, I cannot put the wings on it inside. The two boxes have shipped from Van's are expected here next Monday. The RV construction tools from Cleaveland Aircraft Tools are shipping today and should be here by Friday at the latest. We shall see. I have to go over to Sherwin-Williams to get the Wash Primer kit and find a suitable paint spray gun today.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Ooh, Larry, that's really sweet stuff ! ! !But, is that a GLOVEBOX on the right side of the panel ?And, if you had tripped and fell against all those Cleco's (sp?)the EMS folks wouldn't have enough fingers to put in the dike.VERY NICE workmanship. :-beerchugDan

>But, is that a GLOVEBOX on the right side of the panel ? It's a "map box" from Van's, and the cleco's luckily have rounded ends!! The panel is actually in three sections, so that a change to IFR instruments, wouldn't be too tough. Makes access a whole lot easier too!L.Adamson