Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A Shop

Here is the status of affairs on the RV-9A project.The tools from Cleaveland Aircraft Tools have arrived and been inventoried, cleaned, connected, etc. I have built the two main work tables and finished the small table to hold the C-Frame bench riveting tool (dimple die work station). I covered it with a 3' x 4' blue carpeted door mat. That should protect the aluminum sheets from any unwanted scratches and dings.The empennage kit from Van's is on a UPS truck now enroute from the Chicago area to Nashville and then to Chattanooga. Both boxes are scheduled for delivery on Monday, October 28th. Christmas is coming early this year.I talked to the FAA in OKC and find that the N-number I want is reserved only because the previous aircraft was destroyed. It comes off HOLD about the time I will be ready to fly. It will be one of those "last-minute" assignments.http://www.qrf.com/Photos/tif6901a.jpgThis is the location of the shop - my oversized, one-car garage in this duplex town house that serves as my abode.http://www.qrf.com/Photos/tifshop1.jpgThe big work table is 3'x6' and on casters for mobility. The air compressor is hiding in the corner next to the radial arm saw, which has been getting a good workout these past few days.http://www.qrf.com/Photos/tifshop2.jpgThis is the work bench for the drill press and the bench grinder with Scotch Brite wheel now attached. I have since hung a thermometer on the wall to be aware of the ambient temp when the time comes to work on the canopy, but that is a LONG way off.These pix just show the sides of the garage. Currently, I can still get the car in there and open the doors on both sides with no squeeze plays. Of course, with the car outside, the entire garage is available for aircraft construction. That is exactly what will happen when it is time for the wing kit and fuselage. For now, I can work just on the big table in the corner with no problems.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Looks good, Jerry!Love those Scotch Brite pads. I use those heavy duty babys on my 4" angle grinder.They work great but, I wish they lasted longer...maybe I'm just too hard on them.Buy them by the sleeve from the paint and body supply store.

Luckily, the large 6" Scotchbrite pads will last the life of building an RV. But I think I went through hundreds of the little 2" blue "twist-in" scotchbrite pads with an angled die-grinder. They are very useful for deburring and final shaping of aluminum.And for Jerry, if he hasn't yet got one------------ those 1" belt sanders with or without the side sanding disk are extremely helpful!!L.Adamson ---- getting closer on mine. They say when your 90% done, you have 90% to go........... and I believe it!

I got a band saw yesterday and assembled it this morning while waiting for the UPS man to come with the empennage boxes from Van's. After sorting all the stuff and taking a full accounting after 5 PM, I was able to put in 3.5 hours after dinner. I made it through the match-drilling of the front spar doubler to the two halves of the horizontal stabilizer spars. There were two pieces to fabricate and those are done with their NINE attachment holes drilled and the whole mess is cleco'ed together and sitting on the work table. Good Night, and it was a good night.So ends the first day with real parts joined awaiting my next session.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.The beginnings of the RV grin...:-)

That's great, Jerry!I'll bet those parts look good sitting there all cleco'ed together.Does the RV have a pretty good construction manual?Are you going to keep a log of this adventure?Joe

Every RV builder is encouraged to keep a log book. It sets the tone for keeping the logs when it becomes a registered aircraft for future maintenance, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Hey Jerry,Any cuts, bruises or "blue language" yet? :-lolEd

When the aircraft is finished, I am sure he will be holding graduate level honors in Vulgarian.Doc Bryant

So far, only a few minor abrasions here and there, mostly when I was building the work table and bench. Nothing really to provoke me to vulgarities as Doc would say.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Give it time, Jerry, give it time. Working with hand and power tools gives one ample opportunity to amaze your friends and relatives with colorful phrases describing incidents, parts, and the ancestry of design engineers.Doc Bryant

I am really impressed with the alignment of all the pre-punched holes in the horizontal stabilizer. I got the ribs and spars clecoed together and put on one skin last night before bed time. I looks and feels like an airfoil and it fit together perfectly, even with the few parts I had to fabricate from aluminum angle and 0.040" aluminum sheet. The band saw that I got makes it easy work to cut aluminum parts.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.