Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Empennage status...

After 7 days, I have put in 41 hours from the time I opened the boxes delivered by UPS on Monday, October 28th. I have been fitting and fabricating parts per the plans and instructions, getting as much as possible ready for spray priming before doing any riveting at all. I am discovering the metal working skills I have heard about at EAA meetings and at my recent trip to Oshkosh. I am really impressed with the quality of the pieces provided by Van's Aircraft!I will have to take some time off from the project in the week ahead in order to travel for the company on Tuesday. The results so far include the assembly, disassembly, deburring, dimpling and cleaning of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, and the rudder. The elevators and the trim tabs are next on the agenda when time permits. When they are prepped as are the above pieces, then comes the spray primer day before the riveting begins.With an 8-week lead time for wing kits, I feel that I should get that on order now. My goodness! How the money flows, when I am having fun!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN. :-)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow Jerry. The first week of work and you've already put in 41 hours. If you can keep close to that pace, you'll have something resembling a plane in no time. :-)Seriously, I know you have a loooong ways to go, but at least it sounds like you are off to a good start. By God, if we can't have any juicy news regarding any future of the PP code, at least we can follow a play by play of your aircraft building. Maybe I'll get up enough nerve to try it one day, but I doubt it. :-lol

I spent some time last night deburring the vertical stabilizer parts, dimpling and countersinking where needed. I took some time to look ahead at the way the pieces join to the fuselage to confirm where the flat rivets go, etc.At 67.8 hours, I feel that I have finished all the prep work on the tail feathers of the RV-9A. It is time to mix up the primer, don the respirator mask, and have at it in old clothes outside next to the garage. The weather cleared today and tomorrow is supposed to be a good one as well. Wish me luck.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.