Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

PP99 / XP / 9700 Pro / ???

Does anyone know if PP99 will run in W/XP or if it will work with a 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro video card?I have been wrestling to make Fly2 work on my new system and it just occurred to me that I haven't tried PP99... I always liked PP99 and the scenery looked so much better after I installed a my V5-5500 on my old system. But shortly after that I installed W/ME and it didn't seem to want to run after that.Just curious... guess I should just shutup and try it... but then I wouldn't have the benefit of you guys' expertise... or any tips on what patches and or downloads I should be looking for.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Tom, the only thing I can say for sure is that PP99 is not going to run in hardware 3D with your Radeon since that card doesn't support Glide.I have no personal experience with WinMe and PP99. I will hopefully be moving to a new computer and WinXP in the near future so we will see if it runs with that.

Scott,Guess you are correct. I put it in and it looked awfull. I still like the panels... I always considered them the best for learning from... and the startup movie... I have always liked it. Maybe I try Fly2k and see how it does... not having a lot of luck with Fly2... the controls are all messed up. At least FU3 & FS02 are both working great!Thanks for the response. :-sun1

The fact that you got it to run on the Windows ME/XP system is GOOD! But you have to have the Voodoo 5 to see the 3D effects. Change that video card and it should be OK. Did the mouse work in PP99? If it did, then the video card is all you have to change.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry,While I love the V5... no Sir... I am not going to put it on my new system. My 9700 is far better with most sims. My old system has a dying D: drive which is why I have a new system... that and the fact that I wanted a new system (but don't tell my wife that part). Once I salvage as much data as possible off that dying drive I will remove it from my old system. Then I can free up a bunch of space on the C: drive by removing things that are working fine on this system. I will then set up the old one... I have a new desk that I will setup next to this one... small but good enough for a low use system. I will use it for older software that doesn't work well with the 9700... like NFS4 and I guess PP99. Hopefully PP99 will work in ME once I reinstall it. Another reason PP99 wont work on this system is that it doesn't seem to like USB joysticks... the old system will get my trusty old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro... which isn't USB... and worked with PP98 & PP99 for a long time.I do thank you for taking the time to respond! :)

We seem to have a lot in common. This laptop is my "primary" machine, and the trusty desktop next to me on the desk is the home of my V5 and PP99 running Win98. Why didn't you say you had an "Ace" up your sleeve?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>... not having a lot of luck with Fly2... the controls are all >messed up. Not sure what you mean "controls...messed up". Fly2 (once all the patches are installed in the correct order) will work "ok" on XP. (At least as "ok" as Fly2 ever worked)Art.

You need patches? We got-za patches you need!Well, okay. Links to the patches...If you don't fly in Europe and connect to the internet via modem, snag the ultra easy (and light-weight) patch fromftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp99103.exeNow, if you want corrected European data, and connect with something slightly faster than a modem, snag the multi-part patch fromftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.exeftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w02ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w03ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w04ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w05ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w06ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w07ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w08ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w09ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/pp9913sn.w10Stick 'em all in the same directory/folder. Then, run the pp9913sn.exe patch (it will apply all 10).Want more info? See the PP FAQ athttp://www.avsim.com/mike/mickey_site/ppil...aq/patches.htmlIt's an oldie, but a goodie.Need a map for your real-world flight? See my shameless plug athttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID22/151.html#16Bottoms up! :-beerchug (wheels down),Casey

Thanks Casey!I just checked to make sure I had all the patches in a file on the Electron Leviathan just in case some one wanted them. Not that getting them your way isn't a heck of a lot quicker.Also noted your shameless plug. Since I am nothing more than educated baggage these days (and I have not snagged a right seat ride since the Commemorative Air Show) my need for maps has diminished considerably. And from what I have gathered from some of the guys I fly with, the right seater is to be housebroken and silent. Beyond that is useless. Cockpit Crew coordination goes like this..."Hand me my Jepp Bag, its behind your seat. Thats why your seat is stuck foreward.""I will handle the radios also. I am used to it. I got a system. The last guy who sat in that seat was an idiot. And I can't chance a foul up with the boss on board." Read that, "Look out the window for two hours, thats all you are going to get to do.""Did you make any coffee? I will need half and half if you made it as strong as you made it last time!""I have a room booked for me at the turn. Your room is on you, sorry. The company only pays for the pilot.""You can rent golf clubs at the Country Club. If you use rented sticks, I might be able to beat you." (My unstated reply...I am gonna let this guy out drive me, then when he walks ahead of me, I am gonna back shoot him. This guy deserves back shooting.)"Where is it you are taking me to eat tonight? By the looks of you, it must be a good place." (Unspoken by me...When he goes for the second Scotch on the rocks, he's getting something special in it. At crew check in tomorrow, he will be fifteen pounds lighter....that is, if he can get outta the bathroom. I am thinking medevac home for him and a new left seater. Depends and a D5W drip, whatta way to fly.)Doc Bryant

Tom, >Hopefully PP99 will work in ME once I reinstall it. >Another reason PP99 wont work on this system is that it >doesn't seem to like USB joysticks... the old system will >get my trusty old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro... which isn't >USB... and worked with PP98 & PP99 for a long time. I have PP99 on a Sony Vaio laptop (550 mHz) that came with WinME. It runs just fine. I use a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D, which "is" USB and works great! I don't use this for my primary PP99 flying, since there's no Glide/graphics benefit, but mostly for brushing up on procedures, practicing a XCntry flight, night flight and checking out new airport areas, and the convenience when other family members are using the main PC.I took a chance and bought the joystick hoping it would work so I would be able to do these tasks with PP99 with the ease of using the laptop, and it's been flawless. Since there's no 15-pin game port on it, USB was my only hope for a joystick. That model also has a twist grip for rudder/steering. It's basically the equivalent of the Sidewinder you mention. I too have a 15-pin Sidewinder 3D Pro (or 3D Precision Pro) that works great, but has been gathering dust ever since I bought a CH Virtual Pilot Pro Yoke and Pedals for my main PC (which "does" have the Voodoo II/Glide support). The only thing I don't like about the yoke is that the hat-switch only has 4 positions -- therefore only 4 in-cockpit views (no 45-degree views), compared to both joysticks whose hat switches all have 8 positions.Toe brakes would be nice, which the USB CH pedals have, but I seem to recall that PP99 won't recognize the pedals, or at least not the toe brakes. That's why I went with the 15-pin/gameport items. They work great too!Well, that's what I know.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Art,"Fly2 (once all the patches are installed in the correct order) will work "ok" on XP."True enough. The problem being that I have yet to successfully download the manual. And Fly2 doesn't provide much help for key commands and such like. I looked for my old Fly! and/or Fly2k manuals and couldn't find either one... need to find them... good manuals... best part of Fly (pick a version).So I cheated and installed Fly2k... it provides a much better insight as to what keys do what. Now I have Fly2 working."At least as "ok" as Fly2 ever worked"This statment I do understand!Thanks for the interest.

Casey,Thanks for the patch links. I'll get those when I get ready to bring up PP99 on my old system.

Sign in to follow this