Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 9 December

Courtesy of Avweb, things Aviating on the InternetFrom our "Learning to fly is FUN" file... Student pilot to irate instructor: "You're simply impossible to satisfy. I just finished navigating successfully through a boiling fluid swirling around a rotating sphere that is hurtling around a fusion reaction source at thousands of miles per hour. This system is moving in a circular motion around a black hole at who knows what speed, while the space it takes up is expanding. And then I bounced the landing six inches. SIX MEASLY INCHES! Get off my freakin' back!"Doc Bryant (if I was the instructor on the receiving end of that outburst, I would refer the student to NASA for Astronaut training....)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Heck, man, Astrophysics was hardly even a word when I took my primary training.I never talked back to my instructor. Never! He would have this exasperated look on his face at times and would sometimes utter something like..."Come on, Joe! S-turns are not that hard! Which way is your wind coming from!?! You see the smoke coming from that stack? You see the wind on that lake, don't you?".What would really make me feel low is when he would ###### the controls away and demonstrate the maneuver to me one more time.The pressure was always on. He worked me the whole time.But, when the lesson was over and I happened to be at the airport after the last student of the day, we would head across the street from the FBO to a little watering hole called the Airport Lounge. Then, it was just two pilots having a drink together. Fun times indeed!To this day, I just hope I wasn't the worst student he ever had.http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook.gifBy the way, I wonder how many businesses there are out there with the DBA Airport Lounge?

Right up until the emotional outburst, I thought it was a member of Star Fleet.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Joe:We had a dive called "Skyways." Another name as common as dirt. You went in there, and the place was of course full of aviating types. Not a one of them could talk without waving his arms around. Then there was the instructor that was deaf as a post. He was shouting, and everyone else was waving their arms around at him....They finally bulldozed the place, and the sneak joint motel that was attached to it. No one mourned for it. After all, none of us EVER went there...nooooooooo. Then we gravitated to the Ramada. They had live entertainment...watching the Car Lot owners making time with their secretaries. The Honda dealer had a Lockheed Hudson. That was the only reason we would talk to him! We never bought a car from him, cause we knew he packed the deal with enough extra markup to fill the tanks on that beast.Doc Bryant

Many eon's ago the Detroit airport had a lounge called the "Cockpit". The bar was a semi-circle and behind it was a full size instrument panel of a Boeing 707 with lights and gauges illuminated and the bar stools had seat belts on them. :-lolEd Weber a.k.a tallpilot (still lurking)