Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for Monday 16 December

From Avweb's twice weekly internet update on aviation.... Short Final...Heard at Republic Airport, Long Island.Ground controller: "What are you hauling today?"Twin Beech: "Ten thousand baby chicks ... we had a heck of a job gettingthem to put their seat belts on."Doc BryantI wondered if they just wanted cheep fares?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Doc,Taking a ride in a Twin Beech is First Class Stuff in my book.Too many years ago, I had an open invitation to ride shotgun on a nightly mail run in a Model 18. I always called it "Adventure Flying"...never knew what equipment was going to break down and weather was whatever it was going to be that day. When climbing into the plane we had to crawl over all the mail bags and fall into the cockpit.One night, after the mail was loaded and we were strapped in and ready to go, Al (the pilot) discovered that the batteries didn't have enough juice to turn the engines. Well, he gave the right engine a shot of primer, set the brakes, made the mags cold and gave me the brief explanation of what to do after he got out to prop that thing off. After pulling it thru three or four cylinders, he told me to "Make it hot!". On the third pull, the engine lit-off and we were on our way. While still "huffing and puffing" from that exercise, he offered that if the props had been 3-blade he probably wouldn't have managed the start.Another night, I'll just call "bad weather night", there was a line we had to fly through on both legs of the trip. This particular plane had radar and was really the only reason we were able to fly. We managed to pick our way through and stay out of the red and yellow stuff. But, still, were bounced around pretty good for about ten or fifteen minutes. The only light outside on this pitch black night was the repetitive pulse of red from our rotating beacon reflecting off the clouds we were in and the strobe like flash of lightning. Truly, it was a sight to behold.I'll always remember it as some of my best Adventure Flying. Route of flight was from Gulfport, MS - Hattiesbutg - Laurel - Jackson - Memphis with the return trip tracing that same route. We would leave Gulfport about 8Pm and get back home about 3am.Al went on to fly for the University of Mississippi's Athletic Dept. and got a good deal on tuition. With his new degree in Accounting, he went on to a life outside aviation.JoeAlways willing to hook a ride

Joe,The weather down in that territory can be nasty, even when flying in something a bit larger. I was the only passenger on an FH-227 one night from Lafayette, LA to Lake Charles, LA. The flight originated in New Orleans, and I was the only one going through from Lafayette on the second leg. When we got to the destination, the landing was made in the rain and the guys up front wheel-barrowed onto the runway. Not much fun either. The only time I went into Natchez was a nice day on Beech 99, again, all alone with the crew. The joys of my days in the commercial satellite business 22 years ago!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

I used to regularly fly from MAF-DFW to Jackson Miss, via Monroe. The famed Delta "Doo Dah Flight". And sometimes those three holers would get bounced about nicely.Doc Bryant