Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

A Christmas Carol, modern version

On the first day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Honey, could you get the Christmas decorations out of the hall closet?"On the second day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Dear, we need to buy new tree decorations. Most of these are broken."On the third day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Darling, why haven't you strung the lights outside on the house. The neighbors put theirs up 2 weeks ago."On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Love, I need more money to buy Christmas presents."On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"My parents are coming to spend the holidays with us. You don't mind, do you, dear?"On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Honey, did you make the egg nog yet? Don't put so much rum in it this time."On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Be sensible this year, darling, and get a smaller tree."On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Dear, the shops have last-minute Christmas specials. I need more money."On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"I ran out of wrapping paper. Be a love and run out and get some more."On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Darling, I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on a gift for me. All I want is your love"Hah!On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Honey, put the children to bed early so that Santa can get their presents out of the closet."On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love said to me:"Dear, isn't this the best time of the year? Just think, soon all the stores will have sales!"Yes, my love, this is most definitely the best time of the year.Here is the picture postcard ...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e0069a01c683f1c.jpgWell, you didn't really expect fir trees and snow, did you? It is 80 degrees in the shade here.And here are the two turtle doves ...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e0069d71d314da6.gifTropical version. All my very best wishes for a peaceful and joyous holiday to all the forum members.Luis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Too funny!! And the best to you and your family during the holidays, Luis. Looking at the picture makes me think I need to live further south. :-)

I lived in Central Florida and South Florida for a total of 24 years. It gets old. Unless you are a beach fanatic or Disney NUT, the heat and rain in the summer will bore you to death. We had 26 inches of rain in 24 hours once in Palm Beach and Martin Counties. My street was a "no-wake" zone that day when I went home at 5 PM. Same thing on US 1.I always wanted to go out in the eye of a hurricane, but never got the chance. The only time a minimal hurricane came across my house in Palm City, I was in England on "holiday" that day. Since the house had the storm shutters up, there was no real damage to anything.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Luis: Thanks, I needed that picture of the beach scene. With that skull hanging on the tree, it looks as though someone has set up a semi-permanent camp. The line, "Darling, I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on a gift for me. All I want is your love", is what they say. But, the reality that I've witnessed, and this is only a personal observation, is that they think you love them more when you spend till it really, really hurts. :-outtaJerry: Having lived on the Mississippi Coast 95% of my life, I have seen the eye of the storm a couple of times. Once was during the day. I couldn't belive what I saw....birds....gazillions of birds. Some were flying and others were down low and flitting from limb to limb or from tree to tree.At the time, I lived only two blocks off the beach and the storm had just come onshore after having skirted the panhandle of Florida. I can only guess that these birds get caught up in the eye and have no other choice but to follow it.

That is a stunning shot, Dan, like all your pictures. Thanks.The skull in my beach picture is of a pastey-skinned fat German tourist after a couple of hours on the beach. Talk about fierce!As for Palm City, is that anywhere near Naked Lady? I have always wanted to land there, and be able to say that I came down on a Naked Lady!Best regards.Luis

Yes, Louis, it is near the Naked Lady private air field. There was a P-51 based there with its owner. It is one of those residential air communities. The house I owned was just a few miles east of there, near the Florida Turnpike and Interstate 95 (west of Stuart, Florida KSUA).Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>The skull in my beach picture is of a pastey-skinned fat German >tourist after a couple of hours on the beach. Talk about fierce!Senor Luis, esteemed S.I.C.,I'm sure if your colouring work on the above map and your attention to details (like the bones of formerly fat formerly touristic former Germans, littered around the airstrip) is anything like your poetry, I'm going to be out a couple bottles of good Babancourt Rum and a ticket to the Dominican Republic to get my copy of your software and congratulate you. That said, sir, with all respect, I have to quote my 85-year old aunt, raised in NY, talking about the weather in south Florida, where she's lived for the last 25 years: "It's like a death sentence, when I go to hell it will be green and wet and no leaf will ever turn colour, no day will ever fall below 65 degrees farenheit. What I wouldn't do for a simple change of seasons. Oy vey."On the other hand, you're right, Dante did make the core of hell a frozen lake for a reason. I'll leave that door (what reason, L?) wide open for you, but note that Satan and his three bloody mouths is towering high above the surface of the lake -- now THAT would be quite the airstrip.Tedito,a stream-of-consciousness apostle of the 4 seasons,now in Chicago for a little visit. Happy holidays all!

That IS an amazing shot of an amazing area of the country, Dan. Thank you for sharing -- Calgary is like that somewhat, but the snow stays for most of the winter and there's Whistler instead of Monument Valley, nearby.Ted

Oh Tedito....Peccavi. I have in the month past been to Chicago twice and I did not look you up.My humble apologies. I shan't let it happen again.Doc Bryant

Hey Ted, It sounds like your aunt is already living in hell. Not only is it hot and oppresively humid in south Florida, but it is filled with little buggers and chiggers (no, not Cuban boat people, but mosquitos and their ilk.)Best to you and a warm hello to your folks in Chicago. Brrr!Luis

Long before I lived there, I remember installing a satellite receiving system at the Holiday Inn at Jensen Beach, just east of Stuart/Palm City. I discovered this very tiny, almost invisible biting bug.As for the humidity, it depends on the time of year. As for the coldest day I personally experienced, is was in this week in 1989 in Palm Beach County. It got down to 28 degrees and with the high humidity, there was FROST everywhere. The wind-chill factor was wicked! And yes, I have seen 100+ and 100% humidity right before a thunder storm on many occasions all around Florida. When the storm comes, the temp drops to 70 or 75 for about 10 minutes, you chill out, and then the steam rises and the temp jumps back to 90 or so and the air is again thick enough to cut, or drink.As for mosquitos, the cities have good control programs. Unless you get into farm country inland or the Everglades, they are no problem.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.