Sign in to follow this  

Advice and Forgiveness requested

First, I must ask for your forgiveness for polluting this forum with talk of some other simulator. I thank you for your patience, especially from our Moderator Meekal. Hi Meekal! :-waveI'm asking here, because one (forgive me for saying so) is as likely to get flamed to death as to find helpful information at other forums, and I trust the PP fambly to give some helpful insight.It has come to my attention that for all my hard work on alternative energy, on writing occasional, lengthy and cloying avsim posts, and on treating my friends and housemates well, I will be awarded another flight simulator this Christmas. I have about 48 hours to decide what I want (they asked, at least); I'm opening my normally bulletproof armour to your barbs and lyricisms, and advice.My fantasy simulator is pretty straightforward. I'd like to:* have uber-realistic flight modeling.* have an ATC that works as well or better than PP and is just as simple to start up and use. Co-pilot option would be great as well.* fly bush planes around Canada, including some of the Great North (like the 'North Shore', the area of Quebec bordering on the Labrador Sea, Saskatoon to BC, and around James Bay from Churchill, MB to, well everywhere. In all seasons and weather, of course.* have available the Dash-8 and the Beaver and the C-130 or Globemaster.* the software to actually work and not crash my computer or require me to go back to colledge.* I know that college is not speelled with a 'd'. Yeesh, you guys are so literal.I have a Seagate PIII with 128 ram and 8 gigs of HD space, and a logitech feedback joystick.Any advice appreciated. Larry, my only question for you is 'Professional' or 'Standard' for those requirements and value? For the rest, should I be thinking FU or X-plane? Thanks much,Ted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

My recommendation would be Fly! or FS2002. However, both might still give your computer a workout. You didn't say at what speed your PIII is running. You will get longevity with FS2002 and there will certainly be a wide range of additional items you can get your hands on out there. There are certainly addons out there that turn FS2002 into a different animal. Also, if you think you are going to be into bush flying, FS2002 will be your best beat.But instead of just singling out FS2002, there are many innovations that Fly! brought on board and it is certainly worth trying also. It does appeal in a different way to many people. And with the latest patch release from Rich and the rest of the beta group, many of Fly!2's biggest problems may have been rectified. I haven't had the chance to try it yet. And here is another twist. If you do some looking around, you can find Fly!2 for about $10. So if you can't swing both of them from the family, just treat yourself to Fly! also after Christmas. The way I look at it, these things are relatively cheap enough to spring for several and that way you are certain to find something you like. That's how I do it, I own them all, except X-Plane.

You heard the man. Especially you, Moderator Meekal.....Ahh, I could not resist.Alright you lot, carry on. I shall disappear out for a while, tracking S. Claus via Norad you know. And other important stuff, like hoping the knee I blew out today will not require Mack the Knife.Doc Bryant(now very much imitating Walter Brennan's trademark gait)

Walter Brennan's trademark gait That's a vision!What in the world did you do to your knee?I live with a knee that was hyper-extended while trying to crank a Sportster on a cold day.Belive me, that was the last time I kicked on one of those things. Cheers for 12v systems and electric starters!It's okay now. I just have to watch for elevation changes when walking.Joehttp://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/Reindeer.gif

Joe:I was at the mail box picking up the days assortment of drivel and printed trash. I turned, and slipped off the kerb. That's all it took. Well, that knee was suspect anyway. Years ago it got slightly reorganized due to a bullet passing through.... And after that one, I laid a Suzuki GS 1100 on it, only in passing. As in passing a Honda sedan which tried to occupy the same x/y/z coordinates as I was holding down. So no more bikes for me. Other than the exercise bike at the local gym during "Gym Barbie" time.Now it's braced, I am armed with cane, and having dipped into my storehouse of opiates, semi opiates, pretend opiates, and the next best thing to opiates, I am ready to shuffle off to the next great adventure.Now if I can just teach Brother Maynard, the wonder dog, not to whack that knee with his paw when he wants something.And this from the retired Jurist...."Do you know why Junior Leaguers like leather slacks and skirts? They like their rear ends to smell like a BMW."Doc Bryant

Hey Ted,A common mistake is getting the Standard edition. Insist on the Pro - it contains essential elements without which a majority of add-on aircraft will not work.Let me know once you get it, and I shall send you some trees and buildings that will make your flights in the Caribbean less drab.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e0704b050d16d42.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e07061d54ddd326.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e0705f8546ea6df.jpgPictures courtesy of Joe Sumrall, III. Thanks, Joe.Best regards.Luis

Scott,Thanks for the tips, I've been running around with the parents and setting up hannukah trees and such not (such is the life of the bi-religious, twice as busy in December and April), so my apologies for not responding earlier. About Fly!, two years back I spent the original amount for the original Fly! -- trying to support alternatives and RHarvey, you see -- and though the eye candy was there, so were the bugs and the wierd reactions of my registry. My cpu is still recovering, actually, and I'm thinking of getting a new setup just because it's to the point where I should pay a shop to fix and warranty the performance -- I've tried everything, including reformatting. Anyway, the point is I got pretty frustrated with it and rued the day I left the PP world. PP of course works fine, still -- lovely and 'simple' program that it is. This is my first foray outside since, unless you count the combat simulator stuff.To tell the truth I've been titilated by X-Plane, but it looks like relying on the (mercurial?) developer guy and incurring another US $80 charge every year, which doesn't excite me. And I was wondering about the bush flying and Canada available. Looks like a lot of learning; the longevity aspect of "M%$&!!SFS 2002" attracts indeed. I'll be asking around for addition recommendations once I have it, I suspect. I'll keep an eye our for a cheapie FLY II and try it out again -- certain aspects of that program WERE very very impressive. thanks againtedKORD, for a week.

Thanks for the pointer and the offer, L & L! Nice pics...but, uh, Larry, British Airways doesn't fly to Utah. :) Oh, alright.I think I might set up the Air Botswana ATR 72 in Gabarone though -- one of the nicest and most professional flights I've ever taken, if anyone's looking for a vacation. I'll trade you a brief story in exchange for all your advice, hope it's amusing enough:Twelve hours not sleeping on the mostly empty 747 from London to JoBurg, after seven hours over from Washington,a five hour layover in the airport cafe,mostly drinking instant coffee and watching South African MTV (not bad!), trying to stay awake and worrying about baggage being stolen (both the checked and the carry-ons),a long walk through the JoBurg terminal,and then,a brand-new ATR on the morning runway, painted a dazzling yellow, gold and orange (sounds gross, looks nice),a choice of Ostrich or Ox dried jerky for the inflight meal,(yes Luis, a super-cute stewardess),and this VOICE on the speaker from the cockpit:"hello this is your captain Justin Timberlake welcoming you aboard..."with a pure Oxfordshire accent, strange...until we land, and out from the door pops a white guy, a native Brit, really from the real Oxfordshire, saying hello to everyone. Turns out he was traveling the world and building his hours by flying for the different airlines of the Commonwealth, but got distracted by the beauty and calm of Botswana. What a life.On the way back we had an official pilot for the Minister of something or other, sitting up front for a bumpy but scenic flight home to JoBurg, at 20,000 feet. Great country, if you get to Africa.cheers,Ted

>Thanks for the pointer and the offer, L & L! Nice >pics...but, uh, Larry, British Airways doesn't fly to Utah. >:) Oh, alright. >They don't????? :)L.Adamson

> They don't????? I didn't say they shouldn't, of course. Here, let's resolve this: Meekal, should BA fly to Utah too?ted

The last time I was at the Bryce Canyon Airport, I was greeted by an antelope at the front gate. Fortunately, he or she would not cross the cattle guard across the access road. The only 172 for rent there was out of town for a 100-hour inspection. The next time I go there, it will be in my RV-9A on my first Van's Homecoming journey. I haven't decided whether it will be going out or coming home, but Southern UTAH and Northern Arizona by air is definitely going to be on my itinerary. Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore will also be part of that run as well, with a refueling or potty break at Spirit of St. Louis airport as well.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Ted, you're forgiven for asking about other sims in this forum. ;-)Second, if you're still looking for advice (a little late, I know) I can recommend Fly!2. But you'll need to do a little work to get it up to speed. The newest patch is wonderful and there is a new utility dreamed up by some genuis which allows you to convert FS2K2 3rd party addon scenery to Fly!2 -- even if you don't have FS2K2!!!And it has a relatively simple-to-use Editor that allows you to populate airports yourself.However, before Larry jumps down my throat -- love ya, Lar :-smooch -- I do fly FS2K2 too, almost strictly bush flying. The scenery available for Alaska, Canada, just about any place you'd like to go, is nothing short of amazing. Plus you can get a sweet little program from Lago called FSSoundscapes which allows you to add environment sounds to your flying. It's the only add on I've ever purchased and I don't regret it for a minute. Between these two sims, I get all the virtual flying I could want. But if you can only get ONE as a gift, I regretfully would have to say to choose FS2K2 -- then pick up Fly!2 yourself when you find it!!Luis, the trees and building are beautiful!!!!!!!!! I MUST get that stuff installed immediately. Now, where did I put those instructions??? :-hmmm-Lindy :-wave

>Between these two sims, I get all the virtual flying I could >want. But if you can only get ONE as a gift, I regretfully >would have to say to choose FS2K2 -- then pick up Fly!2 >yourself when you find it!! >I'd even agree! :)And GOOD MORNING to you!!!!! :)L.Adamson

Hi Lindy,Thanks very much, especially for the advice re. add-ons. I pursueth your strategy and will look at improving the ATC especially. Starting to look forward to playing with new toys.....Ted