Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Merry Christmas you rabble!

To One and All:Now that it has settled down from the Scott induced dust up, I just wanted to take the opportunity to extend my Holiday Greetings to everyone, lurkers included.And so, I post this picture of me, taken in the cab of the famed New York Central Railroad "Empire State Express" locomotive now in captivity at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.Scott, this is what I do on trips. Have way too much fun if at all possible!Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Merry Christmas to all my Propilot buddies. It is still amazing to me to find us here after all this time. Hope it doesn't change. And it would be nice if someone actually threw some updated Propilot code into the mix also. :-)Oh, good pic there, Doc. Climbed up into locomotives, sounds fun to me. I always wondered what it would be like to ride along in one still being used. I always thought it would be fun to ride along in one through the Rockies.

Hey I've been in that locomotive, but there was no loco in there at the time....eheh. (-:Seriously though, nice picture in a great museum. Merry Christmas to those on the beach and elsewhere -- may we all stay warm, dry and have enough to eat.Ted

Scott:If you would behave, maybe I could arrange something like that for you.Doc Bryant

Scott,The Durango-Silverton is a good one to take a ride on. Can't say that you could hook a ride in the locomotive...kinda doubt it.But, they do (or did) have open cars available. I guarantee that you will have eaten plenty of coal ash by the end of the trip. It's a 3.5 hour ride each way from Durango to Silverton. So, it's a nice long ride.The railroad follows the Animas River. Sometimes right on the edge of a 400' vertical above the river.In late September the Aspens will have begun to turn color and the air cool and crisp...not a bad thing after a hot summer.We took the early train which leaves the station at 7:30. While waiting to board, passengers can warm themselves by the steam radiators inside the station.Plan on getting your tickets months in advance as the Fall season is very popular. It's absolutely a wonderful experience!http://www.durangotrain.com/multimedia.htmhttp://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/Reindeer.gifJoe Sumrall[big]B[/bIG]USH [bIG]F[/bIG]LYING [bIG]U[/bIG]NLIMITED ...at home in the wild

Joe:Thats a nice ride. Both from the cab and back with the unwashed masses.Although there are times I do prefer Run 8 across the Arizona desert in the Southwest Chief, especially in the right hand seat.Doc Bryant

>Plan on getting your tickets months in advance as the Fall season is very popular.>It's absolutely a wonderful experience! Sure is, but take the train up and the highway bus down version. That train does about 15 mph flat out.We vacation in this area every summer. Great 4wd territory. Here's two pictures I took last July.We took the Jeep up the valley in the background, and over the Divide at the 12,800' Engineer Pass 4wd road.Did a 220 mile loop crossing the Divide three times.DanHere's Silverton from the CO 550 state highway from Durango. Animas River to Durango at lower right.Highway and train are separate through the mountains. Not room for both along river, train was first.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e08a2c52e6ad53f.jpgSame location on highway, 3x optical zoom. Shows train on the turnaround "wye" better.Another train is at the "downtown" station, but hard to see in picture. It's "one inch" to right of orange building.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e08a35e3001211c.jpg

Hey Doc,Wishing you and all the rest here a joyous holidays. Take care,Meekal

Dan Nelson comes through with the funny picture. Thanks, Dan.And a hearty woof-ail to you.Best regards.Luis