Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Gone flying - not fishing!

A day of flying today in a Cessna 172. I went down to Falcon Field at Peachtree City to have lunch with my son and have a short flight with him south of the Atlanta metro area.Use the link to the three pages of flight photos from my RV-9A menu page.http://www.qrf.com/RV9A.htm I discovered that Front Page automatically reduces the image quality of my photos for quicker loading. The original jpegs were 1 megapixel files of about 325 kB each before Front Page re-saved them.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Tom, >>Things seem to be back to normal. Thanks! >>Jerry K. Thorne >East Ridge, TN. Yeah, apparently there was a hardcoded expiration date for cookies dated the last day of 2002 and this was causing new cookies to immediately expire. Matt Johnson was able to get in there and find the problem and fix it.

>A day of flying today in a Cessna 172. I went down to >Falcon Field at Peachtree City to have lunch with my son and >have a short flight with him south of the Atlanta metro >area. Missed you by one day. On the evening of the 28th my wife went with me to FFC to watch my last 4 of 10 night takeoffs and landings I still needed for the PPL. At FFC's flight school they require an instructor for night flying. Then she surprised me and asked if she could go with! I asked the CFI and he said okay. She said she enjoyed it and can see why I would like flying, but she's not interested in learning - the last time she was in a GA aircraft was in 1970! Too bad that landings 1/2/4 were kinda bumpy, but #3 was perfect, so they both knew I can do it right - sometimes. Oh, well - that's why we practice.She did also mention that the takeoffs were all great, but I reminded her those are generally easy anyway. I also added, however, that Plan A of every takeoff is actually to abort unless everything looks okay to takeoff, which was news to her. I told her about the course she can take to learn just to land the plane in an emergency. She seemed a little interested in that. I think this was good for building her confidence in me, come the day she decides to go for a ride after I get the PPL. That is something I've been thinking about for some time - who would I not mind having as a first passenger ?Does your son live in the Fayette County area ?BTW, I only have 0.8 cross country left (on my last X-Cntry I ran out of time, otherwise I would've flown around for that last 0.8), which of course means I'll need to do one that's really about 1.5 hrs long. A couple more hrs just plain solo, then a couple hrs of pre-checkride instruction, the written (no problem there), then the checkride. Almost there!Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Now you know why they call it a "license to learn" when you pass your check ride. You can be humbled by a landing "anytime". I bounced a touch and go the other day at Griffin and just powered away as soon as I was bounced back into the air. My next flying session is going to concentrate on local area flying and doing a lot of takeoffs and landings. My BFR is coming up in May of 2003 and I want to practice all that stuff. The last one I had in 2001, the instructor wanted to work on 60-degree banked turns with a stall and recovery. He was merciless!Both my older sons used to live the in Sharpsburg area, but they are now married and moved away. One is in Austin, Texas - the other one lives in York, PA. The one in the web pix I posted from that day at FFC is the one from Texas. He was up visiting his mom over the holidays when we got together at FFC to fly for an hour and then have lunch.When I was getting my night training back in 1992, I was flying out of Lantana, Florida near West Palm Beach. I too, had a night passenger in the back of a 172 when I was up with my instructor for part of the 3 hours of night training required for the rating.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.