Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Luis! The wing kit arrival pictures are posted!

You guys can see what's new on the RV-9A project at my usual place: www.qrf.com/RV9A.htm and click on the wing page link from there.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jerry, looks like great stuff, and great pictures. You are soooo committed now.You could have used the tail feathers for living room conversation.But, wing spars and ribs? That's real stuff. Your future is now defined. :-lol Dan Pursel

You know when one guy talks about another guy being "sooo committed" it usually means something far worse. Something requiring legal counsel and large sums of money to undo in the future!Doc Bryant

Doc,I have been there more than once. That's over. This commitment is for me. With the money I invest in this airplane, I can fly it for the next 15 or 20 years for as long as I can get a medical certificate, sell it and get my money back - less operating expenses of course.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

This looks really good, Jerry. You are zipping right along - I would expect 2 or 3 years to finish a metal airplane, but it seems as if you will be flying before 2004, if this keeps up.Those ribs and spars look like high quality stampings. Very impressive.And I really like the high-tech tool hanging on the wall - a fly swatter. Must come in handy.Everyone documents the building process, but you are the first person I have seen who takes pictures of the delivery truck.Best regards.Luis

I have seen another guy that took that "truck" picture on an RV builder's web site.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

I had bought some 30-minute epoxy on Saturday to finish the empennage fiberglass tip reinforcements to the the horizontal and vertical stabilizer tips. I managed to get an hour of wing kit inventory time in on Sunday morning. I went to see my mom for lunch Sunday - 120 miles from here and did not get home until late in the evening. I finished the wing kit inventory this afternoon.Tonight I was able to build one end of the wing jig steel brackets to support the wing spar during construction. Sorry, no pix for that, but it would be boring anyway. Now, when I get both ends up and leveled and get some wing construction going, then I will update the web pages with more pix. Stay tuned...Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

The usual link again: www.qrf.com/RV9A.htm and click on the NEW wing photo page 4 link from there. I have changed the menu page to allow direct jumps to any of the FOUR photo pages that I have online. All the new photos are the low-res versions from my digital camera. If you are in a hurry, cut to the chase: http://www.qrf.com/RV9A004.htm will do it!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry,There is a saying in RV land......... :)"When your ninty percent done (as it looks like an actual plane)You still have ninty percent to go.........."I'm now believing this, but it's really fun, when getting closer to finished product. Just seems the wiring, fuel, lines, and systems in general, just go on forever! This is where mine is now, but I took the wings off last week, until it ends up at an airport. I still have some system wiring to do up front before the front skin is rivited on.L.Adamson

Just keep putting in those hours, you will get there! Over 3,134 RV's have been built and flown. Yours will be added to the list before this year is over!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>Larry, >>I wish I had your talent -- and money. >Meekal,I'm a bit short on the money part myself....Still need transponder ---- $1400.00, a prop governor.........another 1400.00, and the nav/strobe lights...approx 800.00 ------------------all donations welcome :)L.Adamson

It sure is IRONIC that the guy who works for the International Monetary Fund asks us about money! (Did you ever notice that the IMF has the same acronym as those guys on the Impossible Mission Force from that old CBS television show, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE?Larry, the way I am doing the RV is with my Wachovia Visa card which has PRIME RATE for the interest rate. Not prime plus some number, just PRIME rate. I pay down the balance at $2000 per month. It got up to $10K after the wing kit shipped, but is down by $2K since then. I am holding some money in savings and hope to build it to over $20K by the time I will need to get an engine. I plan to pay off the air frame balance on the credit card by the time I finish the work. Then, like you, I will be working on the finishing touches the same way - $2K per month.I hope to be flying in the summer of 2004. I just got started on the left main spar yesterday with all those plate nuts and the tie-down plate. I had two of the local EAA members over tonight after the chapter meeting. These guys had no idea about metal working or any tool other than pop-riveting. Fluting pliers, rivet squeezers, rivet guns -- all these were new to them. Amazing!!!And for me, it all started with a four-hour class at Oshkosh this past summer! Now look where I am! When I get some ribs attached and the rear spar, I will post more pix to the web site.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

January 18, 2003: I have attached all the plate nuts to both wing spars for mounting the fuel tanks. All of them have been properly countersinked per the plans. I have also fluted all the ribs for the left wing and clecoed them to the spars, ready for match drilling, and mating of the skins for the first time. I have taken out the sag in the spars in preparation for attaching the skins. It is starting to look like the shape of a wing at last!http://www.qrf.com/Photos/DSCF0079.JPG Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

http://www.qrf.com/Photos/DSCF0080.JPG And there it is, fully skinned on the top side and leading edge. Fellow RV builder Larry Champion came over today to see the wing progress on my RV-9A. He is building an RV-8. He is a high-time ex-military pilot and wants to have a little fun for a change. I got him to take the digital picture above while he was here today. And of course, I have on my RV-9A baseball cap from Van's for this first official photo of me and my handiwork. It's time to do some drilling of ribs, skins and spars before going on to any other activities. I will pull off about half of the clecos after the drilling is done in order to have some clecos to work on the fuel tanks. I am going to have to a little bit of wood work first to build the tank construction jigs and the wing cradle on wheels for use later.Jerry K. Thorne :-)East Ridge, TN.