Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Voodoo 11

Many thanks for all your responses. I havn't solved the problem yet but your help has produced a wealth of info on the web. I have also downloaded a program Power strip which is helping me to understand things a bit better. Incidently I am in the 60s age group and a late starter in the computer scene. I flew extensively in the 1970s and held ratings for 4 single engined aircraft.Cessna 172 ,150,Cherokee 180 and 140 also Bolkov trainer.Did a bit of aerobatics in the Cessna 150 aerobat and got quite wrapped up in this. Cost became a problem with a young family and I had to give it up. A year ago an Air New Zealand pilot told me that if you wanted to fly cheaply get a simulator. Did that, PP99Fly,FU3 and MS FS2000.Although I can't do aerobatics on PP99 The sim suits my older pc and it gives me a real feel back for flying.It reproduces as close to actual flying as I can remember. Thanks again- Richard.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Richard,I'll check my system when I get home - I have essentially the same as yours : Voodoo II, Win98SE, 200mHz, 256MB.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

If you have the 1.03 patche or the "90-megabyte Euro-Patch" on PP99, you should be able to do a roll, but not much else other than ILS approches and other typical "normal" flight maneuvers. If you just installed the CD-ROM program, you probably need one of those two patches. The Europe Patch for PP99 (US version) adds nice 3-D terrain graphics for Europe including Gibraltar, and corrects the flight model characteristics.If you are not sure if you patched the program, there is a simple test using the 172. Set your view from outside the airplane and behind it. Start a takeoff roll from any airport, but do not use full power, try 1/2 power. As the plane starts to roll, have FULL elevator set and watch the plane as it tips up on the main landing gear. Don't give it enough power to lift off the runway. If you don't have the 1.03 or Europatch, the tail will decend into the runway. One of the patches before 1.03 had the tail being blocked from view, but still decending into the runway. I believe 1.03 stopped the tail from going into the ground, but makes no "metal scraping" sounds. I heard that sound one time in my REAL flight training as a student pilot (with instructor aboard) when I got into ground effect and over-flaired at a point where I drug the tie-down eye bolt on the tail of a Cessna 172 on the pavement just before the wing stalled and we plunked down on the main landing gear. I have never done that again as my skills got better after that day. What a lesson.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry:You should have told him you were "aerobraking" just like the fighter jocks do.Doc Bryant

Hi again, Richard :My main video card is an ATI Expert98, with the attached Voodoo II, driver version 2.53.I get the same symptom as you, sort of. I say sort of, because I do, however, have ONE application that can use greater than 640x480 using the 3dfx Voodoo II. But none of my others give me the option of going greater than 640x480, so it may simply be that all your applications max out at 640x480, just like PP99 does. So, please bear with me, sir.When obtaining the Display Properties window, the one that has the tabs for "Background, Screen Saver, Settings", etc., there is also a 3dfx tab.Clicking on the Settings tab, and other buttons, I see that my monitor is set up as a generic SVGA 1024x768, 75Hz refresh.Going back to just the Settings tab, I have the actual resolution slider set to 800x600, but this of course can be set to various lower and higher resolutions by using the same slider.Using the 3dfx tab, the story is a little different, and this is where I'm getting the same symptom as you, I think. Even though there is a resolution slider, which when actually sliding it causes changes to values above the slider, e.g., intially appears as 640x480, and can be slid left to whatever is less than 640x480, and slid right to show 640x480 again, then further right to show 800x600, and again right to show 1024x768, the "Apply" button never gets "turned on", but stays greyed out. Also, the refresh slider, even though having two tick marks (far left, far right), it stays at the far left, and will not change from 75Hz. When I first installed the 3dfx drivers several years ago, I seem to recall having a few possibilites for refresh values, but I most likely had the monitor driver set to something else then - I was experimenting with that because my monitor brand was not listed.In the following you will see where I have been able to get greater than 640x480 in ONE program of mine that uses the 3dfx, but it may possibly not be in Glide mode. My understanding is that when you see the spinning 3dfx logo, the program is using Glide mode only. When you don't see it, but 3dfx is mentioned in the program options or various setup areas in a given program, it may or may not be using Glide, but instead may be using something from the 3dfx chip plus DirectX.I have 5 Windows and 1 DOS 3dfx applications which have various resolution options within each when used in 3dfx mode (whether they're "all" using Glide, I'm not sure). Only in the first one listed can I obtain a resolution greater than 640x480 , so therefore, even though the Display Properties slider on the 3dfx tab does not want to change from 640x480, it apparently is possible to have greater than 640x480 in an application, but just not in every application :1) Ultim@te Race Pro (by Microprose, which came with the Voodoo II) - no spinning 3dfx logo.Once in the program, in the display options section, there is a 3D acceleration option window, which offers "None", or "3dfx" (it actually displays the 3dfx logo). And, there are several resolutions listed in a separate resolution window, such as 300xXXX, 512xXXX, 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. However, only 640x480 and 800x600 are highlighted in a different color than the others, which means only one of those two can be selected. I CAN use 800x600 for this game, so this seems to be the exception to what you are experiencing. 2) Incoming (also came with the Voodoo II) - no spinning 3dfx logo, but a preliminary window appears that says it has selected 3dfx with DirectX as the best option, which just happens to be the only option. Does not have specific resolution sizes, but under options asks for various detail levels. 3) PP99 - definitely uses Glide (3dfx spinning logo appears) - max of 640x480, as you already know.4) Driver's Education '99 - definitely uses Glide (3dfx spinning logo appears) - various software resolutions offered, but only one 3dfx resolution of 640x480.5) Jetfighter III (DOS) - definitely uses Glide (3dfx spinning logo appears) and maxes out at 640x480. Really nice clouds like PP99, and very smooth.6) FLY!2K - no spinning 3dfx logo. I've removed it because 200mHz is just too slow for flying. Really great, though, for learning panels. I know FLY!2K is capable of greater than 640x480, but I think that was using 3dfx with DirectX, not Glide.That's what I know, sir.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA