Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

In Kansas City tonight...

The end of this week's road trip is now in sight. I was in Tulsa Tuesday night and got a call on my cell phone from Scott Brazell. Unfortunately my schedule had been changed and I was not going to be in Oklahoma City at a time when we could meet. This has been a busy week which could find me back home Friday night between midnight and 2 AM Saturday morning. We shall see...So far, my week has been busy.Saturday, Jan 4: Chattanooga, TN to Hattiesburg, MSSunday, Jan 5: Hattiesburg to Fort Worth, TXMonday, Jan 6: Fort Worth training session for a distributor where I was the instructor. Then move to Dallas that night.Tuesday, Jan 7: 9 AM appointment in Dallas with a customer. I then drove to Tulsa, OK for a 4 PM customer appointment.Wednesday, Jan 8: Tulsa to Oklahoma City for a 10:30 AM customer meeting followed by lunch. Drive to Wichita, Kansas for a 3 PM customer meeting, then on to Emporia, KS for the night.Thursday, Jan 9: 9AM meeting with the customer in Emporia, KS and the drive to Lawrence, KS for lunch and meeting with a customer there. Drive to Overland Park, KS to spend the night. I meet with a customer here in the morning and then depart the Kansas City area for home around noon or 1 PM tomorrow.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Whew. Too much fun it sounds like. And too much Quality Windshield time.I am sending my business partner out to California next week. And then right after that, to Houston to investigate another deal. Then my turn for California will be the week following. But hopefully no Houston jaunt.Doc Bryant

Mercy! That's a lot of driving.See you went to Hattiesburg. That's just up the road from me, Jerry.I'm sure it's crossed your mind that an airplane like the RV could get these trips over with much faster. Also, it would get into the small Mississippi airports that the scheduled air carriers do not serve.I know, I know...even marginal weather can keep you on the ground for days. Well, you'll just have to get that thing dressed out with some good IFR equipment. :=)Joe Sumrall[big]B[/bIG]USH [bIG]F[/bIG]LYING [bIG]U[/bIG]NLIMITED ...at home in the wild

Every time I look at a completed RV, I photograph the panel to see what the configuration is for future reference. The first stop I made when I left home a week ago was the airport at Fort Payne, Alabama. I found an RV-4 in the EAA hangar nearing completion with one of those all-in-one VOR-ILS-Marker Beacon units in the panel. The guy told me where he got it used, but working just fine! I will be looking there for one for my panel.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

"one of those all-in-one VOR-ILS-Marker Beacon units"Sounds like a Narco NAV-122. I came up with a used but very clean NAV-121 (no GS) for a Tri-Pacer I had. A complete radio in the space of an instrument hole. What a space saver! And, has a standard and easy to read CDI. It never gave me one minute of trouble.I was specifically looking for a 121 or a 122. When the 121 came along, I had to go for it. Also bought a Narco AT-150 from the same man. All this just kind of fell in my lap after mentioning, out at the airport, that I was in need. Got lucky!Below is a late technology 122D and is somehow interfaced with a GPS. But, yes, the early model had the marker beacon lights right in the face of the instrument. And, had a mechanical frequency dispaly vs the LED this one has.If I were in need of one today, I'd be after one of those early units with the marker beacon lights. Suggest checking with your favorite avionics shop. Many times they'll have things like this bench checked, serviced and ready to go. It, probably, will have been a radio they pulled out of a plane that had an avionics upgrade.My radios came from a friend that was in the aircraft sales business. He had them in his office on a closet shelf. He was happy to turn them into cash and I was delighted to not have to search any further.

Joe Sumrall[big]B[/bIG]USH [bIG]F[/bIG]LYING [bIG]U[/bIG]NLIMITED ...at home in the wild

Sign in to follow this