Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 17 February

From those wonderful folks at Avweb:Last week's short final made me think of our local GA airport, which features the following sign in the men's room: "Pilots with a short pitot tube and low manifold pressure are advised to taxi up close..." Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I had thought of that FBO men's room signage last week, Doc. But, I refrained.I didn't want to remove all doubt as to my being a scatological kind of guy. But, I'm coming out of the closet.The sign in our FBO read...

Pilots With Short Pitot Tubes&Low Manifold Pressure,Taxi Close Before Sumping

http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

Joe:It's obvious that there is some triggering going on in Avweb's readers minds. Perhaps next week someone will submit a gum in the relief tube joke?Doc Bryant

Since "pipi" jokes are all the rage, here is one to show Jerry how much I like them.My favorite strip bar is the Crazy Horse Saloon (no, no, wait, it is an extremely classy joint, more like one of those Vegas revues, but lots better) on the avenue Georges V in Paris.This is the place where the strippers - "exotic dancers" to the politically correct - have names like Rita Cadillac and Lova Moor. Ah! Lova... But, I digress.They also have the funniest side acts you have ever seen. I have particularly fond memories of a gentleman, from Texas, I believe, who imitated different sounds. Hilarious! Well, you had to have been there.Anyway, after the show was over and having finished off a bottle of Champagne, it was normal to want to visit the gentlemen's "water closet", as the Continentals call it.Inside, there were two doors, the first marked "English" and the second "Other".The "Other" door led to the classic stall of wall urinals. The "English" door led to a sit-down toilet.Most of the patrons were rolling on the floors at that one, with the possible exception of the Pommies, of course.Best regards.Luis

I liked that one. I am in Texas as I write this. Funny thing how the accents around here don't seem funny? But then, I used to travel EIGHT southern states on my very first job after the US Army. My southern accent would vary with the area I would be in. Believe me, there are some real differences in the accents from Demopolis, Alabama to Savannah, Georgia and up to Pikeville, Kentucky!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Right Jerry,But they all put peanuts in their R O C Coca Cola and ate Moon Pies.Doc Bryant

True story:A number of years ago quite a few NASA folks from Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama were temporarily relocated to our Utah plant for several months. They missed their moon pies so much (not available here) that someone pulled some strings and had 'em shipped up from the South. That was the only time in my 20 years here that moon pies were available in several of the office vending machines. When the assignment ended and the southern gentlemen left the state, so did the pies.Dan

Ahh, the joys of living right here!Back from Texas and the short trip to find a job at a regional trade show down in San Antonio. Looks like I have a couple of contract jobs I can take, and I will find out on Monday if there is also a full-time job offer.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Everyone knows we New Yorkers (yes, yes, New Jersey, don't rub it in) are savages.So, could one of you genteel Southerners please explain what a "moon pie" happens to be and why it creates such a furor?Is that something like a "Twinkie" or a "Hostess Cup Cake"? Have I been missing out on a gourmet treat?Best regards.Luis

A Moon Pie is two ROUND graham cracker or similar style baked cookies with about 1/4" thick filling in between, which is usually a marshmallow flavor with similar properties. Then the whole thing is coated with a layer of thin chocolate outside. There were also some pies made with vanilla or stawberry coatings. The cookie inside is thick enough to be "dry" to the taste, therefore, a good soda pop (RC or Coke) is a good combination with this thing.In case you haven't heard, RC is short for "Royal Crown Cola", just as Coke is short for "Coca-Cola". The other local soft drink in this area is "Double Cola". Then of course, if you like carbonated fruit drinks, there is Nu-Grape and Orange Crush. These were around before the Coca-Cola company got the idea for Sprite. That one came about because 7-UP was being successful before they got the idea of becoming the "UN-Cola". The wild card drink in all this came from Texas and spread across the Southeast as well: "Doctor Pepper".And of course, some folks liked the idea of buying a small bag of salted peanuts and pouring them into the soft drink bottle and watching them fizz a bit. I even tried it with M&M's in my younger days. That one really fizzed! Talk about a sugar hit!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.