Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Junkyard Wars - Aircraft

For those of you that have access to The Learning Channel (and for those who don't, find someone who does), on Sun Mar 9 at 8/11pm EST, Wed Mar 12 at 9pm EST, Thu Mar 13 at 12am EST, and Sun Mar 16 at 3pm EST, the following will be shown (from TLC's web site) :This edition of Junkyard Wars commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers flight. We found 3 top teams of experts. Their mission, to build vintage planes from the 1900's using period junk and tools of the trade. They have only 20 hours. http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/junkyard...ght/flight.htmlJerry and L.A., if we can get 3 people each to help you, we could get you guys up in the air in 20 hours too ! Of course, it wouldn't be the same as it having been built by "you" only. Considering how fast it would be assembled, I wonder who'd volunteer to be the pilot for 1st flight ? Of course, you two would've ensured everything was done right, so you'd have no qualms going first, eh ?Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Even EAA takes several days to build an airplane at the Air Venture in Oshkosh. It has been done, but I don't know the details. There were many folks doing things in parallel to make it come together quickly. Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

I'm watching the replay as we speak. It's absolutely incredible. The British team had a wonderful test flight, smooth and safe. I'm amazed.Regards,Fred

I think it's going to take more than 20 hours just to "bundle" these wires to make them look respectable! :)L.Adamson

Yeah, you know Larry, back when I once worked on B-52's, I enjoyed the actually work, but there was one type of problem I dreaded to hear...."We think it's in the wiring". Most all of the wiring on B-52's was nuclear-hardened in order to supposedly help protect the electrical systems in the event of a nuclear blast. Yeah, right, I would say. Needless to say, these things were a real pain to go into if you had a reason to cut into the middle of them. It was always my last resort. However, we had this one old-timer that just loved to assume it was the wiring from the start. You would follow this guy after shift change to find a mangled bundle of wires as his obvious trademark. We got lucky not long after I moved to the flightline to get him off the line and working inside in charge of the tool cage. :-)As for those nuts on Junkyard wars, I have to hand it to those poor saps that volunteered to pilot those contraptions as I don't think I'd be flying anything constructed in just 20 hours. :-lol

Indeed, the British team pilot flew the plane at a few hundred feet (my estimation) for a few minutes. This is a plane that was built in 20 hours!!! His chances of death were more than I would be willing to handle.The French pilot was less daredevil. He went up about 10 feet from the ground maximum. The American team, after three unsuccessful tries, finally was able to get some lift, but the experienced pilot said that out of the 50 planes he had flown, this had to be the most difficult to handle.On the other hand, it seemed to be really well behaved. Smooth flights, except maybe for a bit bumpy landings. Anyway, I think it was a program worth watching.Fred

There was a Junkyard War show, three or four years ago, where the groups each built an aircraft. The idea was to fly the longest distance and in the straightest line.My memory is failing me on it. They may have been towed into flight. I just cannot remember. What I do remember is one of the groups making it into the air but the plane had almost no directional stability.I could hardly bear to look as they took flight, knowing the crash was coming. It was such a great way to get hurt. http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif