Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 10 March

From those wonderful folks at Avweb.....More from our "It's all relative file" ... Approach Control: Cessna 123N, say flight conditions. Cessna 123N: I'm not sure ... it's so hazy up here it's hard to tell. Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's funny, Doc!I used to ride with a guy that, when straight-n-level and not much going on, would contact Flight Service and give a Pirep on weather condidions. It impressed me that he participated in the system that way.What amazed me, though, was that in just glancing around he would somehow determine wind speed and direction for our altitude. "How do you DO that!", I'd ask. He'd explain. But, I'd have to be armed with pencil, paper and calculator to do what he did in his head.He was also one of those that could tell how far he was from a VOR by timing how long it took to fly across radials. No calculator, no stopwatch...would just tune-in the OBS, give a glance at the clock in the panel...done in short order. The day he elected to teach me his technique(math keys and shortcuts), he had me in the left seat of way more plane than I was used to flying. Since I was already at my saturation point, it all went in one ear and out the other. http://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif