Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for March 17

From Avweb.com's twice weekly report on the state of aviating...Early in my tailwheel instruction, my instructor was trying to teach me wheel landings in a Citabria during a Southern California full-blown Santa Ana. Winds were approximately 45 degrees to the runway, blowing 20 knots, gusting to 35+ knots. After about 20 attempts, with about 20 saves from my instructor (lots of crow-hopping, bounces, you name it, using all of a 150-foot-wide runway), I decided I was done: Citabria 123: Tower, we've had enough. Citabria 123 requests northbound departure. Tower: Citabria 123, northbound departure approved. Sorry to see you boys leave -- sure has been entertaining! Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sounds like the controllers where I used to do most my training out of. They would do things like key up the mike and go, "oh, ouch, oh". And of course they weren't shy to rate you on a scale of 1-10. A great bunch of guys. I used to go up and visit with them after training.

Scott:I think I know those guys.I drilled one in firmly (in my defense, it was gusty with strong crosswinds) and I heard over the headset....."Welcome Aboard, Admiral."I just wanted to hit the "Make Invisible or Very Very Tiny" switch on the panel. But it got worse.The next day, stopping at the communal coffee pot in the hangar, my Crew Chief presented me with a main gear tire, cords showing through.There was no question in my mind what aircraft came in with a blown main gear tire....no question at all.The tire stayed on view till I transferred on.....Doc Bryant

Sign in to follow this