Sign in to follow this  

Making fs2kpro like PP 99

Anyone here know if there are any more dowloadable instructions like Scott Brazzell's on how to navigate VOR? Second quesiton, anyone know how to make FS2k less skittish and more like PP 99, how to get something like PP99 ATC into FSTk?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am not aware of any downloadable instructions other than the VOR navigation text you mention. And since I only have Pro Pilot 99 on my computer, I can not help you fix FS2K.Keep checking back. There are bound to be people with more knowledge than I reading the posts.Doc Bryant

Wow, someone actually still uses that tutorial I did ages ago. I'm truly surprised and appreciate you mentioning it. I'm afraid things got pretty busy for me not long after doing that tutorial and then I figured most had pretty much lost interest in such a thing. I think most the regulars still hanging around are probably well versed in instrument navigation or moved onto other flightsims. Did you have something in particular that you were looking for as far as navigation goes? I could try to offer any help and I know there are others in here that are equally skilled.As for making FS2K less skittish, I'm assuming you are referring to the way PP99 seems to damper most of the control responses so that it's reactions to your inputs seem more stable? I know you can experiment with the settings for your controller within the MSFS settings. You can adjust the amount of deadspace and some other things. Also, making sure your controller is properly calibrated sometimes helps. There was a program somewhere that helped to make sure your controller was being centered properly. There was at one time a problem with DirectX that caused this problem. As far as I know, it had been fixed. As long as you are running a recent version of DirectX, this shouldn't be a problem. Bottom line is while some of these things may help some, you may find that FS2000 continues to not feel as stable as PP99.You last inquiry about PP99 ATC in FS2000 is pretty much an impossibility. I'm trying to remember now, FS2000 doesn't even have ATC at all, correct? It's been a while since I messed with it. I use FS2002 now every now and then. Your best bet as far as MSFS is concerned is to just hang in there for a few more months as MS will be releasing FS2004. It is supposed to be about the time of Oshkosh, which is end of July, beginning of August. This version will build on the ATC that was introduced in FS2002 and it looks like it will improve quite a few other things. If you have the computer to run it, this might actually be a very worthwhile version, we'll see. I know it will be the first time in a long time I've actually had the computer to run MSFS at the release date.

There are excellent air.file additions for dampening qualities of aircraft for FS2002. As to FS2K, I wouldn't even mess with it.L.Adamson

Scott, it is rare to find you so loquacious..............:-)Meekal

>Scott, it is rare to find you so loquacious..............:-) >>Meekal Hey wait, let me go get my new 2-ton Webster's Unabridged dictionary! :-lolI hope you mean wordy in a good way because we have a phrase for those that are wordy in a bad way and they are said to have "diarrhea of the mouth." Nice image, don't you think?Good to see you speaking up again. You appeared to have gone missing for a while there.

>Wow, someone actually still uses that tutorial I did ages >ago. I'm truly surprised and appreciate you mentioning it. >I'm afraid things got pretty busy for me not long after >doing that tutorial and then I figured most had pretty much >lost interest in such a thing. I think most the regulars >still hanging around are probably well versed in instrument >navigation or moved onto other flightsims. Did you have >something in particular that you were looking for as far as >navigation goes? I could try to offer any help and I know >there are others in here that are equally skilled. >>As for making FS2K less skittish, I'm assuming you are >referring to the way PP99 seems to damper most of the >control responses so that it's reactions to your inputs seem >more stable? I know you can experiment with the settings >for your controller within the MSFS settings. You can >adjust the amount of deadspace and some other things. Also, >making sure your controller is properly calibrated sometimes >helps. There was a program somewhere that helped to make >sure your controller was being centered properly. There was >at one time a problem with DirectX that caused this problem. > As far as I know, it had been fixed. As long as you are >running a recent version of DirectX, this shouldn't be a >problem. Bottom line is while some of these things may help >some, you may find that FS2000 continues to not feel as >stable as PP99. >>You last inquiry about PP99 ATC in FS2000 is pretty much an >impossibility. I'm trying to remember now, FS2000 doesn't >even have ATC at all, correct? It's been a while since I >messed with it. I use FS2002 now every now and then. Your >best bet as far as MSFS is concerned is to just hang in >there for a few more months as MS will be releasing FS2004. >It is supposed to be about the time of Oshkosh, which is end >of July, beginning of August. This version will build on >the ATC that was introduced in FS2002 and it looks like it >will improve quite a few other things. If you have the >computer to run it, this might actually be a very worthwhile >version, we'll see. I know it will be the first time in a >long time I've actually had the computer to run MSFS at the >release date. Thanks for the reply and thanks to others who replied. The tutorial was great because it ran us through what we need to learn for vor tracking and ndbs (and also had a few mountains around) in case we got too focused on the instruments.Anyway, perhaps unlike game simmer freaks, I have basically been looking for something that is as close as possible to real life flight so as to cut down on the amount of instruction time in the air making the same mistakes, etc. at $150/hr that I could be making on the computer. For me, that has been Pro Pilot 99, even though I bought the original FS 98, then FS2KPro, and I was disappointed by both because they just don't feel like a real plane (and left out stuff that was free with ProPilot, like ATC, Navaids that are easy to use and close to reality, and other details, like if you switch to a singe left or right magneto, instead of both, the engine speed drops, like it supposed to, although turning on the beacon doesn't affect the ammeter. Details like this make a difference.Anyway, I called or emailed the parent company for PP99 a while back (Dynamix) and was told it was simply discontinued. After that, I was looking through some of the industrial flight simulators (for training schools, etc.) and found out that the PP system really had been upgraded and used as a base for an system which cost about $3,000 or so and was designed either for flight schools or military trainers (I forget which). So, I guess they just yanked the consumer version off the market for legal reasons when they upgraded and sold it. Pure speculation on my part. But it's a pity.So, I tweaked my FS2KPro and got rid of some of the skittishness, reloaded Fly, and then flew the same pattern in all three, Took off 360 degrees from Meigs field with a crosswind of 24kts, gusting to 36, and rest my case with this: Fs2k was all over the place, Fly gave great views, but needs a lot of tuning up or something, and PP99 was like real life, except that the cross-wind had perhaps less effect than I'm guessing reality might under those conditions.So, I'm still sitting out here thinking we need a revolution. What I'm going to do is wait for Fs2004pro and then try it and if it's no good, reduce my faith in commercial humanity accordingly.As for that tutorial, it's the most useful I have run across in a long time.

Now you know why we here in this forum are still here. PP99 and for some here, PP2000 Alpha, provided the best "FEEL" of an airplane in its reaction to control inputs. This of course refers to the final revisions of the program after some timing bugs and other details were worked out.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>>So, I'm still sitting out here thinking we need a >revolution. What I'm going to do is wait for Fs2004pro and >then try it and if it's no good, reduce my faith in >commercial humanity accordingly. >>As for that tutorial, it's the most useful I have run across >in a long time. Trust me............... :)And thousands of other "pilots".....using FS2002, not FS2K..................And a few third party files combined with the virtual cockpit that's NOT in FS2KIS the "closest" thing regarding pattern work & PC's that is now possible. I didn't even like simulated pattern work until now!L.Adamson

I do take your word for it, but I've always been overeager, buying the first thing, and then being disappointed. I had MicrosoftFS98 or something, got disgusted, bought the "pro" FS2k version and still got less than I had with PP and then PP99. Makes me think it would be better to wait for the 2004 version of FS. Also bought CH Yoke and Pedals (non-USB version)only to find the USB version out shortly afterwards. Now the Yoke and Pedals finally work more or less properly in PP 99 (tho flaps up are long way from flaps down, so far), I hate to mess with the system, which does allow me to practice. So, being an optomist, I re-installed this weekend an old version of FLY!, which I had never really explored the first time, got all the upgrades, downloaded a bunch of freeware planes, etc., and I am experimenting with that. I don't know precisely what I did, but it seems to be pretty stable. Also, you can run a window with the sectionals, tune the radios; VOR Navigation etc. seems to work well. Anyone have any ideas on whether FLY emulates reality beyond what I am saying?