Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 19 May 2003

From those wonderful folks at Avweb....it's Short Final for Monday, May 19, 2003Having just rolled out and made my way to the taxiway, I contacted ground control. The taxiways were very lengthy and one way. This would have added nearly a mile to my travel to the gas pumps which were only several hundred yards away. "Ground control, Cessna ***** at Alpha 6, can I "fudge" a bit and turn left to the pumps?" After a short pause, "Cessna *****, fudging approved." Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Whew! Sorry I could not reply to this before, but we have been suffering from some prolonged black-outs, as much as three days at a time. We have Enron to thank for it - no, they are not dead yet, at least not internationally. But, they should be and all their execs with them.As for fudge, chocolate or vanilla?Best regards.Luis

Chocolate with walnuts please.I bet you can still find good deals on generator sets around here from the people who went full paranoid mode for Y2K.Doc Bryant

That's a good one, Doc. What ever happened to Y2K? Weren't elevators supposed to stop functioning, gas pumps to refuse to pump, and the entire electrical grid to fail?Was this the modern version of the End of the World syndrome that pops up every start of a millenium?I also remember seeing something about a Korean sect that was convinced of the end of the world, so they moved to Texas to wait it out there. They dressed all in white, including white ten-gallon hats, except for one original who preferred a white coolie hat. Must have been a great disappointment when they didn't all die, but their clothes were very trendy.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis....In hindsight, and foresight to a few, the whole Y2K thing was drier than a popcorn ####. Most everyone I know who had data networks made sure their software was audited and converted well in advance of New Year's Eve.Looking back on the event, I did not do much in the way of preparation. One of the local hard shell Baptist Ministers suggested to his congregation that they stock up on ammunition in case the insurrection came with Y2K. I figured a box of 12 ga. birdshot and a couple of boxes of 45 hardball would be enough. And also I was counting on the ever faithful Brother Maynard to dispatch any Attack Bicyclists.I think a great many people did some foolish things, like buying generator sets (and then returning them) and things like that. My nephew worked for a bottled water company. They went full tilt for months ahead of New Year's Eve making sure they had bottled water stocked all over the place.I must have missed the Korean sect's doings. Perhaps they transmogrified into Democrats who snuck off to Oklahoma.Doc Bryant

To my great shame, I am a full-blown sceptic, and so had no doubt that Y2K was just another of those fads, like pet rocks or purple Barney dolls. Just another instance of contagious hysteria that often descends on the masses.I did not fall for it, and even if there had been a problem with computers, I figured that we could always resort to that traditional standby, what we relied on for the 30 thousand years before the computer took over our lives these last 30 years - I refer to humans.After all, if the power plant computer breaks down, there is a human staff there ready to take over. Same for the automated filing systems that could be replaced by secretaries, etc. etc. People are a wonderful thing, quite capable of replacing machines in a pinch.Best regards.Luis

>I must have missed the Korean sect's doings. Perhaps they>transmogrified into Democrats who snuck off to Oklahoma.Hey, that stunt did such wonders for our tourism industry that we have started putting out feelers to all our other neighboring states that we have many fine hotels and even state parks to serve as your next friendly asylum location.

I am not really up on American political news (too dull), but assume that this refers to a convention. What happened? ... delegates getting drunk and breaking store windows? ... hundreds of pigs released in the streets causing traffic jams? ... Al Gore getting nominated? ... No, scratch that last.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:No nothing that would remind you of a Chicago Democratic Presidental Nominating Convention. Just some Texas Democractic Legislators who decided to head for the border when they figured out that the now majority Republicans were going to do back to them what the Dems had done to the Republicans in years past. Redistrict them right out of existance.What's even more interesting than the Democracts fleeing to beautiful senic Metropolitan Ardmore, OK is what is being made of the Texas Department of Public Safety's response to the issue.It's gotten down to "We did not do what we did, because now we know it would be wrong to do that, so we shredded all the documents relating to not doing what we did, and you did not see us do that, so it must not have really happened that way. All those Highway Patrol Captains were up there fishing...or tornado watching....or, give me a minute, I will think of something...But it's not to capture fleeing Democrats, honest."Doc Bryant

Well, Doc, this sounds like politics as usual. It would be funny if it weren't so serious. Or something.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:It is funny. This is Texas Politics we are talking about. You watch what these fellows do and you see some things very quickly.1. You have to wonder, who taught them some of these stunts?2. Have they ever practiced some of this foolishness or is this a first time event?3. If Chicago Aldermen were mentoring the Texas Legislature, why did so many turn down the help?And finally,4. The few that are good at what they do are so good, they are very very good. So good you can not see who's pulling their strings (Well, other than the Trial Lawyers Association or the Teachers Union.).We have many of the newspapers maintaining news bureaus in Austin that I honestly think are there just for the entertainment value. And one magazine puts out a Ten Best and Ten Worst Legislators issue each year. And they pull very few punches. And local political affairs I view with equal amusement. I even consider my city and county taxes to be nothing more than a bill for entertainment including garbage pickup, sewer and water. Thinking of it that way makes it easier to handle.Doc Bryant

Ten Best and Ten Worst? Hilarious.But, seriously, there must be more than that, no?Best regards.Luis