Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 26 May, 2003

From Avweb's twice weekly compendium of things aviating....Short FinalYears ago, as a student pilot, I remember the fear when my instructor told me we would be flying into Class B (then known as a TCA). What happens if I miss a call? What happens if I blow an altitude, or screw up a heading? He kept re-assuring me that I would do just fine. But I wasn't convinced. I made contact and entered the airspace, flying my assigned altitude and heading with sweaty palms, listening to the pros. Suddenly, ATC, in a very cynical, condescending tone, barked out "Northwest 560, WHERE are you going?" A rather timid voice came back with "Heading 260, sir." "I said 360! Fly heading 360. Just where do you think the airport is?" "Roger ... 360" was the reply. "Cessna XYZ, fly heading 300." "Heading 300, Cessna XYZ." "Thanks, at least SOMEONE here can follow instructions." From that point on, flying in controlled airspace was no sweat. Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Somewhat amusing, but "Cessna XYZ" is a new model to me. Does that replace the Skylane?Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis....It's a simple transposition code...or you could call it, a transportation code since its an aeroplane...A equals 1, B equals 2, C equals three, and so on....Doc Bryant

I love that "aeroplane". So many different names for flying machines in the age of Pioneers (for example, "aerodrome" coined by Langley) and airplane won out. Our vocabulary loss.Best regards.Luis

Luis,"Aerodrome" was the word for the landing field (airport) in those days, not the flying machine itself.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hello Jerry,The word "aerodrome" was created by Samuel Pierpont Langley in 1903 to refer to his flying machine.A lot of people were coming up with names for this infernal machine at the time.According to my sources, the word "aeroplane" was first used by Wenham in England in 1866 (long before Orville and Wilbur) to describe a wing or a plane in the air.Aeroplane won out, American usage changed it to airplane (officially adopted by the federal government in 1916), and aerodrome went on to refer to an airfield. And everyone forgot about Langley. And, coincidentally, about the long history of aviation and all the great flyers and pilots, inventors and plain madmen who pioneered flight long before the century of flight began.One of my favorites: Alberto Santos Dumont, the rich Brasilian who moved to Paris, center of aviation at the time, opened a dirigible factory in the last years of the 19th century, and then, on learning of the Wright Flyer, began making aeroplanes, specifically his lovely little "Libelulle", the first ultralight.Ah! those magnificent men in their flying machines (they go up, pityup, up, they go down, dididown down!)Best regards.Luis

>Ah! those magnificent men in their flying machines (they go>up, pityup, up, they go down, dididown down!)"Could you hand me that monkey wrench?""Oh ... you mean the adjustable spanner?"I really need to get that movie.Dave H.

It tis a wonderful movie...Benny Hill as the Fire Chief, Gert Frobe....Red Skelton...and aeroplanes splooshing into the sewage ponds. Dumont did pretty good for himself...even got Cartier to do a wristwatch for him...invented the darn thing. It went down hill after that...decorating Lincolns automobiles.And Aerodrome. Still a wonderful word. Nothing yet can convey to the Air Traffic Control types (Also known as NFO's-Non Flying Objects) the utter disregard one has for everything not flying by uttering to them upon entry into the pattern..."We have the home 'drome."Ahh, the mind wanders...perhaps the body should wander over to the clothes dryer to find suitable togs for an evening out cajoling perfectly adequate Cabernets from the bar wench.Doc BryantHmm, I think I detect the makings of a good movie night....Those Magnificent Men...followed by The Great Race and capping it all off with The Italian Job. Must save Monty Python and the Holy Grail for another night.

Definitely some of my favorite flicks. Back when Hollywood was making movies for adults. And don't talk to me about some "Ring"!Best regards.Luis

I shan't mention Wagner or that other guy what wrote the books that all the nerds in my high school were reading a long time ago. Both seem to have a similar effect on people....diverting them, perhaps permanantly from life as we know it.But the best book with the word "Ring" in the title was National Lamphoon's "Bored of the Rings."If I want to read some fantasy, I shall read PG Whodehouse.Doc Bryant