Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A status update...

Luis,I managed to be home when good weather also occurred. I have been on the road for the past two weeks and I have a break in the action from work. I managed to finish preparing the remaining aileron parts for priming and had a good session today on the front driveway. I now have all the parts for the flaps and ailerons primed and have already riveted the flap nose rib / hinge assemblies together. Tomorrow should find the flaps fully riveted by the end of the session. I will provide updated photos at the end of that work session. For now, I just have a big pile of parts with green primer on them.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Jerry,From the pictures, it seems as if your very nice car is sleeping outside at the moment. Your garage looks full!Best regards.Luis

The usual place: http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise/index.htmI have added only one airplane photo on the new page 11 for the wing. I have added some photos to tell a bit about where I have been the past few weeks. You will find two pages linked below the flying link on the home page.I had a trip to Philadelphia and managed to stop by and see my #2 son and his wife near York, PA. I also went to Texas recently and got to see my older son, his wife, and my grandson. We celebrated his FOURTH birthday.I really put up those pages for my relatives. I also had a chance to find out using FTP methods just why so much of my 10 megs of web space had been filled up. I got rid of duplicate photos that ended in .JPG instead of .jpg. Only one set was needed for the pages to display correctly.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

The LEFT aileron has joined the FLAP with a temporary installation on the wing assembly. One more photo for you Luis.http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise/rv9a011.htmI got started on the RIGHT flap last night and hope to finish it today and get back to sealing up the LEFT fuel tank now.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Looking very good, Jerry. No longer spare parts lying around, but an airplane.Best regards.Luis

Luis,There are still some spare parts laying around for the RIGHT wing, but I hope to change that very soon. I posted two more pictures on page 11 to show progress on the RIGHT fuel tank and the aileron push-rods. I also posted my total time for aircraft construction. If I also add in the time preparing the shop and building the work tables, it now stands at over 502 hours.http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise/index.htmhttp://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise/rv9a011.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hello Jerry,What does Van's give as the estimated build time for this model?Best regards.Luis

>Build time estimate from 1600 to 1800 hours for an RV-9A,>depending on the builder dedication and efficiency.>In other words...................... "double it", .......! :)Most builders arn't dedicated enough, such as 40 or more hours a week, which usually means being retired and "tons of money"; or efficient enough until we're on our second or third homebuilt.The standing joke is---- that when you have 90% done (finally looks like a plane), then you have 90% to go! They wern't kidding! I have over 300' of wire in mine, as well as tubes and pipes going everywhere. The systems and plumbing, cowl, canopy, and paint ----- which I havn't yet thought about, are quite time consuming..Many do get these built in just two or three years though. I'm slooooow, as I just hit seven years with two off for getting a new house. Many others go up to ten years, and I want to beat them!! :)L.Adamson

Larry,You have an RV-6, which required you to lay out and drill all the holes. The new kits are all pre-punched and that saves at least 400 hours. In the last 8 days, I have put in 28.2 hours on the project. It is getting close to the time when I have to seal up the fuel tanks. I want to be sure everything is as good as it can get before I put the baffle plates on the back of the tanks.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I know ----- mine takes more time..... :)When I purchased new elevators, thanks to dropping an object on the originals, it was the --then new Pre-punched setup, quite a difference. The wing skins were are all pre-punched, but not the wing ribs, spar, etc.L.Adamson

Larry,That is interesting. I had heard that there were replacement parts available for the older kits that have been discontinued. All the new kits have everything pre-punched - except for the bottom side of the elevators or one of the rudder, flap, or aileron skins where they meet at the trailing edge wedge. Only one skin will be pre-punched to give drill guides for the "match drill" alignment of the trailing edges of those control surfaces. It works very well, especially on a FLAT work surface.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN