Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Short final time?

Well, Doc, must be on one of those fancy business trips. You know, the kind where you take your secretaries along because of all the "work" there is to do.And, Scott no longer posts the Short Final - he surrendered his job to Doc with nary a cry of protest.So, what do we have to do to get the joke of the week? Read the AvWeb bulletin? No, I would rather get it here, thank you.Best regards.Luis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

And from those wonderful folks at Avweb......An exchange overheard between departure control at a Canadian airport and a B727 pilot. Pilot: Where's Annule?Dep. Control: What is it ... an intersection or something? Pilot: I don't know. Dep. Control: Where did you see it?Pilot: On the screens in the terminal. Lots of airlines go there but the flight's always cancelled.Dep. Control: (laughter) Welcome to Canada, Monsieur. "Annule" is French for "cancelled."Pilot: Ah. Oui, oui. Doc BryantBusiness trip? No, just went to bed earlier than usual.

I guess the French speakers don't watch Star Trek or they would know that Federation Standard is based on English, as is the ICAO alphabet and the official language of air traffic control.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry:If people who spoke French watched Star Trek how would they know that the Federation (and I thought Canada and France were Republics-but what do I know) Standard is English? It's a hoot to go places and see Hollywood TV shows translated into the local language.Thinking on this, it would explain a great deal if the French were found out to be as devoted to Star Trek as they are to Jerry Louis movies.Doc BryantCasa Doc has been TV free for 17 years!

Another myth bites the dust. Having lived in Paris for the greater part of my adult life, I can confirm that the French do NOT watch or particularly like Jerry Lewis movies!But, contrary to common American perceptions, they are great admirers of America and Americans in general (yes, it's true!) and are extremely polite (believe it or not!) So, everytime an American celebrity passes through France, the French give him the "Legion d'Honneur" to welcome him and thank him for the visit. And, so with Lewis.I have personally seen Chirac give Madonna (!) the medal and kiss her on both cheeks. Not to mention Stallone, Ahhnold, and even Sharon Stone! I think this is really going too far, but those French have been enamored of Americans for over 2 centuries.And Jerry, you really should get out more. American Standard is only standard in ... America! Try getting an English-speaking controler in Brasil (a very large country), Senegal, or China. You might be surprised to learn how un-Standard American Standard really is.Best regards.Luis(Madonna, chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur? Ridiculous.)N.B. Have a television set, but lightning burned it out 6 years ago, never got it fixed. A shame, a big Sony 29" model too. Guess I am missing out on all those great episodes of "Friends".

I had a lightning strike near my house in Florida a few years ago, which took out a Zenith TV set. I opened it up to check the power supply circuitry with my volt-ohm-meter and discovered that only the four rectifier diodes in the primary power section were blown. It took only $1.00 worth of parts to put it back in service. I was lucky, you could be too...I did the work myself of course, since I have been working in the electronics business all my adult life.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Darn, I should have sent my back up ViewSonic monitor to you to fix the doggo focus on it instead of winging it back to the factory in California. Oh well.Doc Bryant

That's OK Doc. You probably got original parts that way.I built my first color TV over the 3-day Memorial Day weekend in 1973. It was a Heathkit GR-2000 with an RCA picture tube. I learned a lot about TV sets doing that project. I kept that TV for 13 years and then donated it to another Heathkit builder when it had some problems that I did not want to worry about.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Thanks, Jerry, that is a great idea. I shall borrow a friend's voltmeter and give it a try.But, could someone please tell me what has been happening on "The Sopranos"? I really need to catch up.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:If you do not find out what the Sopranos are doing...who whacked whom, good recipes, things like that....you could check in on the source of all their shows!www.wmob.com The Wiretap Network!A compendium of wiretaps, and quite wonderful to listen to.Doc Bryant

This web site is hilarious! Very witty in an offbeat way.If only the real mob were as amusing ...Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:Those are wiretap transcripts and conversations from the "Real" Mob. Check the biographies of the participants. If they had any better connections, we could call them the Democratic National Committee.Doc Bryant

Thank you, Doc. My mistake. The whole thing is presented in an "entertainment" style, so I naturally thought that it was fiction.And to think that all this time, I considered the mob a bunch of low-lifes!Best regards.Luis