Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

We're Back!!! Thanks, Tom!

I really missed this place not being up an running the past two days. Anybody else notice that the server was down?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So noted. Luckily I was busy so I did not suffer from too much in the way of withdrawal symptoms.Doc Bryant

I had a burning desire to know what Doc meant when he mentioned a "Power Wagon party". Sounds pretty "racy" to me.This system crash kept me frustrated and unhappy waiting to find out.Best regards.Luis

Doc,Are you going to tell him about those big OLD Dodge utility trucks any time soon?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Brother Luis:I have bought a 1953 Dodge M-37 military 3/4 ton truck to restore. The Power Wagon was Dodge's civilian equivalent. In the fall there is a wonderful gathering near Brownwood, Texas that is the Texas Power Wagon Reunion. http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/At the link above you shall see more information about Power Wagons of all ilk, M-37's like mine, except in far better shape, and other Dodge Military variants. My M-37 is right above junk yard refugee at the moment, but I am busily searching for parts for it so that when I start the tear down process, I can put it back togeather rapidly. I want to do this restoration process one time. Doc Bryant

As far as I am concerned, these trucks beat those Hollywood Humvees - a real he-man vehicle.Where can I get one? And how is their gas consumption? And, the typical American consumer question, how many cupholders?Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:Dodge made gobs of these vehicles, right up to 1967. Many countries military establishments purchased them also. Depending on how much of everything works, you can expect to pay under $10,000 for one. I spent $1,500 for mine, although I had to tow it home. The trucks are powered by a 231 cubic inch in line six, pretty low compression, so regular gasoline is used. Since they are full time four wheel drive devices, expect maybe ten miles per gallon. No cupholders, but a jerry can holder, a spare tire holder on the driver's door, and a holder for a 50 cal. M-2 machine gun are among the many options. And many people install the in bed troop seats so they might take six of their well armed friends along with them. I have seen better looking, and running vehicles sell for under $5,000.Last year I went trail riding in one of these. It was as good or better than any other vehicle I have ever used for the purpose, including a 1968 Land Rover. I correct that, it was better than the Land Rover. The M-37 did some amazing things.Doc Bryant