Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Dave's Short Final for 1 Jul

Heard on 119.8, ATL App/Dep earlier this morning - couldn't hear the aircraft - just ATC. I'm sure this pilot was in the soup, since TS Bill is entering the neighborhood :Are you going to pay attention to me, or do you want to do this by yourself ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Those guys in the tower sure can get uptight sometimes. Isn't there some sort of psychological testing to weed out the nervous ones?Best regards.Luis

Weeding out the controllers you say? Just remember the line uttered by Lloyd Bridges in Airplane" "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue!"Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Luis,The app/dep controller (not a tower guy in this case) was speaking very calmly. I wish I could've heard the pilot, but sometimes you don't. ATC sometimes transmits and listens simutaneously on 119.8 and 121.0 (2 main general aviation combination app/dep freq's here in ATL) but the pilots are only transmitting on 1 of them. But I heard no pilot response on either (I have a handheld radio, external mag mount antenna on the car, and can switch between the 2 freq's immediately). So, either the plane was just too far away, or he was on yet another frequency I don't listen to much. Everyone (I hope) was flying IFR, due to mod-heavy rain, and clouds from 100 ft AGL all the way up to 30'000 ft. all over Georgia. Winds were pretty blustery, too, at all levels. So, I imagine firstly the pilot was busy flying the plane, and secondly trying to do so the way he wanted to for whatever reason - maybe even a good one. If you think an ATC instruction is not safe, you will most likely know that before they do, and you can tell them, and they can't tell you to do something you deem unsafe in your situation. That's why I wish I'd heard the pilot's side.Anyway, the controller just gave regular commands from then on, so I'm betting it was the pilot who had to calm down in this case.So what did I learn (or reaffirm)? ATC is there to help - don't try to boss them around - it doesn't work - they control the skies - we just fly in them. You help yourself by being as professional as possible, especially when the pressure is on.Okay - I'm done for now.

Sounds like you have been paying attention to more than just stick and rudder details as a student pilot. How many hours do you have in your log book now?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Well, I'm ashamed to say I've not flown since early March, and all that's left is the flight school wanting me to do 2-3 hours of pre-checkride flying, to see what all I remember, the written (don't see a problem with that), and the checkride. I listen to aviation radio a lot - local amateur, too - it's a 45-min drive to work, so it's a great time to listen and learn, and pass the time - and to keep fresh all the lingo since I've not been flying much. And, just about every day I read something from the AOPA main and Flight Training mag's. I just flew PP99 last night for the first time in about 45 days - I'm wanting to practice all the PTS things before the 2-3 hr thing.It has taken more calendar months than I intended. Lots of other distractions such as repairing some gutters on the house, our youngest son getting married in early June, etc. Weather has been fickle, too - many of the days I've "would" have scheduled for the 2-3 hours were all IFR. Anyway, I need to get my rear in gear and just finish it. I have several places I would like to fly to instead of drive, so I've many sources of motivation. I've a friend at FFC who has a Cessna 210 and he said once I get the ticket he'd give me a ride, but not before. I also need more sources of $$$. It costs $95-100/hr (non-block) to rent a 172 at FFC now ! Just 18 months ago it was $70! Just when flying got within my budget, it's pulling away, which has quickly taken away the appeal.Well, she'll be apples (Australian slang). Thanks for asking - being accountable here makes it easier to finish the job. And here's wishing you continued success with "your" project! Looks great!