Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A page 14 updated with more pix.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Great, Jerry. Looks very good. And wonderful that you are already moving on to the fuselage. Fantastic progress.Just wondering if you could comment on the difficulty so far. Not necessarily the complexity of the task, but rather how much hard physical labor is involved (although that may come later with engine installation and such.)Best regards.Luis

That big wing assembly without the aileron, flap or fuel tank weighs approximately 55 pounds. I have lifted both of them on and off the wing construction jig twice now.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Just curious, Jerry (again). Do you have to call Van's very often? That is to say, is the instruction manual very clear and comprehensive, or do you need explanations from the factory?Best regards.Luis

I have called Van's only ONE time for technical assistance. All other contact has been via email regarding scheduled delivery of orders, and by FAX to place my orders.I am fortunate to have a number of builders who live "nearby" to call upon for questions. One of the "Tennessee Valley RV Builder's Group" (TVRVBG) members is one kit ahead of me building an RV-9A also. The only difference is his canopy is a "tip up" where mine is a "slider". He has been a good source of information. Likewise, there is a guy who lives only a few miles from me who is building an RV-8 that I am ahead of, and he asks me questions.The manual is very clear on many steps and includes photos to make many points very understandable. The large plans make it very easy to see the relationship of the components during assembly.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry, where is TVRBG based out of. In Huntsville, we have some folks (my brother in law, for one) building some RV's. He has and RV9A and I am not sure if he is doing a popup or slider.Nice to drop in and see what the Pro Pilot gang is up to. Ever since my Voodoo 3 hit the skids, I have been playing with Microsoft, but I still enjoy the friendly confines of the PP forum.Will Thomas

Also, are you doing a quick build or a full kit. Judging from your photos, it looks as if you are doing it from the raw kit.That's good, friends I know usually turn a bit of a nose up at the "quick builders". I guess you aren't a man unless you fly a plane which you personally sealed the fuel tanks on....(grin)

TVRVBG is based in Huntsville, Alabama. I was just over there Sunday, August 3rd, sealing and pressure testing my fuel tanks. And yes, my kit is the standard kit, and I saved $8,000 instead of buying a quick-build kit.So tell me mour about your brother-in-law and where he lives and his RV kit.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Step Brother in Law actually.David Edgemon is his name, He lives in Madison AL. Myself and my Step Father joined David for a little Suaree' over at Pryor Field a couple months ago, There were some beautiful RV-6's RV-8's and RV-9's. there. Also someone came rolling up with what looked to be a Piper Cub, but frankly made the Piper Cub look Sturdy by comparison. The Planes were beautiful, and I would love to have the time and means required to build a 9 Tandem. Incredible!!! Were you the one we talked to about at length about torque values?!?Here we were, knowing each other for years through this forum and I met you and didn't even know it.David is proceeding nicely with his kit. Imagine my shock after I originally posted this and then saw your photos with MY BROTHER IN LAW in them!!!!Dawnita is my Step Sister..... So David is Technically My Step Brother and Law. She lives about 5 to 6 miles away from me.I have 3 kids, and David and Dawnita don't have any children, so although we live really close, we don't always fly in the same circles so to speak.Wow. I'll have to tell David about this. This is too weird!!

They don't have kids YET...And no, I was not the one talking about torque.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Just what are you trying to say.... Come on, you a friend of the "family" now. You can't leave me in the dark ;-)