Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Angel in the parking lot...

Sunday evening I went shopping at the local Walmart with a good friend of mine. She is always very methodical about putting here wallet in her pocket and then transferring it to the dash board in front of the driver's seat when she gets in the car. Last night she was upset over a silly incident when we were leaving the store and the security devices on some items she bought were not de-activated and set of the exit alarms. She got her receipt out of her wallet and after all was the sensors were deactivated, we headed for the car. My friend is a "hometown" girl and was upset by this incident, so much so, that when the goods were loaded into her car and we drove away, she had not noticed that her wallet had fallen out of her pocket as she got in the car (Ford Explorer).When we got home and all the stuff was unloaded, she discovered her wallet was missing with a considerable amount of money inside, which is rare for her. Panic, dismay, shock, all began to take its toll on her. I got her into my car and drove back to Walmart and the hunt was on.She was not sure if she might have left the wallet in the buggy or whether it had fallen out of her pocket. It was 10:30 PM when we left Walmart headed home, now it was after 11 PM and we were out there searching all the carts by the entrance. I had sent the carts careening across the lot to the guy who was collecting them when we were getting ready to depart. It was a good game between Jacob and myself as one cart went straight to him, but the second cart did a slow right turn across the lot and he ran to catch it. I did not learn his name until I talked with the assistant manager during our futile search of the buggies and the parking lot area around where we had been parked during the initial visit.When we gave up, the store manager suggested that my friend file a lost wallet report with the sherriff's office down at the jail. Since it was only a few blocks from where she lived, we went down there at 1:30 in the morning to make the report. We did not get out of there until after 2 AM. The deputy that took her report told her she would probably never see her wallet again.I took my friend home and she dialed up the 24-hour customer service of her bank to cancel the check card that she had used to make her purchase at Walmart earlier. The customer service rep took care of the problem and issued her a new card which will show up in few days. She even provided the exact amount of the charge to allow my friend to make the correct entry into her check book, which was at home, and not in the lost wallet.By the time I had to leave my friend it was around 3 AM. When I was satisfied that she would be OK, I reminded her that there are always some honest folks out there, and it may be turned in by someone. She had decided if the money was taken, she hoped it would be someone who needed the money more than she did. This was her first acceptance that she had lost the wallet and would not get it back, but her faith had led her to pray that it would be returned.Needless to say, she did not sleep that night and at 8 AM started off to get a replacement social security card, driver's license, etc. The driver's license office is closed on Monday. She used up most of the morning, and when she returned home, the answering machine had several calls from the Sheriff's office. The wallet had been turned in -- at the jail where she filed the report. Needless to say, they had no problem identifying my friend when she came to claim the wallet.The wallet had indeed, fallen from her pocket as she gotten into her car last night. My friend has this phobia about parking her car at the far end of every parking lot to keep people from parking next to her, so they won't "Wham my doors" with their doors she says. That little habit paid off, since not many other cars were parked out there. The young Hispanic woman that found it did not even see it, but stepped on it and was fearful that she had stepped on a "dead cat" and was almost afraid to look down because she hates the sight of dead animals. But look she did, and when she found the black wallet, she thought it would not be a good idea to turn it in to the folks at Walmart, so she took it to the city police station, but they were closed. She took the wallet to the jail, apparently early this morning, not late last night.Nothing was missing, the deputy at the sheriff's office had opened it up and inventoried everything inside, and of course all the important items in it matched the list my friend had given them late last night.So for my friend, it was terrible 12 hours. When she walked into the jail front office, the staff all knew who she was by her photo on her driver's license. The deputy said he had never seen a wallet returned to its owner EVER before with everything inside! My friend got the name and number of the lady who had found it and made it a point to meet her earlier this evening to personally thank her. A new friendship was made by these two women who live less than a mile apart.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The woman who found the wallet - was her name Angela by any chance? "Angela in the parking lot". Just kidding.Still some honest people in the world.Best regards.Luis

Wonderful story, Jerry. It gives one hope.Though I don't say much here, I continue to follow your RV assembly with fascination. You seem to be making great time with it![table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

For the moment, I am running out of things to do on the wings. Hopefully that will change with the arrival of the fuselage kit.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

A wonderful story, Jerry. It helps renew my faith in humanity and people's honesty. May the friendship between your friend and the "angel" flourish.BTW, what paint job are you planning for your plane when it's finished? -Lindy :-wave

Lindy,Have you not scrolled down my home page where the music plays? You will see my artwork depicting the paint scheme at the bottom of the page. Check out the link below and listen to the music when you realize the connections, let us ALL in on it please.http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise/index.htmIf my timing is good next January, I will secure the registration N2PZ for the airplane. November TWO Papa Zulu is as close as I could get phonetically to the desired letters N2PRISE, which is my personalized license plate I had from Florida for my 1995 Park Avenue, and now from Tennessee for my 1996 Cadillac that I drive today.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

The livery looks good. I like it. :-hah But no music! Sorry.-Lindy :-spacecraft Live long and prosper.

It should play... it has in the past. (my browser I mean.) Your webpage didn't call for any plugin, but maybe it wouldn't. I did go visit another website that I frequent that plays music -- I didn't hear it there either. It said I needed a Quicktime plugin, which I downloaded and installed. I'll check your website again. -Lindy :-wave

I tried two other sites that I knew had sound and got sound/music from both of them with my Netscape 7.1 browser and WinXP Home. I went back to your site and ......... silence. Your site is great though, even without the music. -Lindy :-wave