Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Meeting Mr. Meekal!

This flight sim may have joined the choir eternal, and the forum may get a bit silent, but friendships and relationships carry on.I just returned to my hotel room in Washington, DC, following a grand lunch with Meekal!I believe a good time was had by all. Although I was not afforded the opportunity to lay waste to any foreign currency. And the Euro was atop my hit parade there. Maybe next visit? We spent most of the time discussing personalities and events relating to Pro Pilot. As I said, it was a grand time.I am ready for a return visit!Doc Bryantnow off to drive trains. look out North East Corridor!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Now that you have talked about us, it is time for ALL of us to sound off and post to maintain our registration priviledges, etc.OK, Lindy -- Bring out the whip and chair and lets get everyone up on the stands in the center ring!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TNRV-9 Builder present and accounted for!

Cr-ack!!!!! Okay, y'all -- roll call time! Don't make me angry :-samurai Doc, sounds as if you and Meekal had a wonderful time. So you were in WDC and didn't come a little further south to meet up with ME. :-( :-violin Well, perhaps another time. :-scatter -Lindy :-wave :-spacecraft

So, the recalcitrant Meekal has shown himself. (Jerry, the big word is for the benefit of Meekal and Doc who seem to like that sort of thing. Like me, of course.)More details, please, Doc. The menu and its gustatory (darn, another big word) qualities, and the brand of cigar - corona, panatela, or other?Best regards.Luis

Ok Brother Luiz, you asked for it.Lunch was in the Executive Dining room, starched tableclothes and equally starched clientele.An appetizer of smoked salmon and toast points, followed by a Cobb Salad (IMF version, not like the original at Hollywood's famed Brown Derby eatery). Iced tea and water to drink. I did not peruse the wine list, as I was headed to Amtrak's Wilmington, Delaware Electric Locomotive Shops after the visit to Meekal.I did give Meekal one of my cigars (Hoyo De Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro) but I doubt that he will smoke it, as I do not think he indulges. I also presented him with a kilo of Costadoro Coffee (in whole bean form).Lindy, I am sorry I did not look you up, I had Friday pretty tightly scheduled as it was. Today I am waiting for a call to report to switch engine duty.Tomorrow, I take an Acela regional train to Philly, then on up to NYC and return from NYC to DC. I fly back to dry, arrid, not a bit humid, and rain, what is rain, West Texas. I imagine it shall take a few days for the mold to dry off of me. Did I say it was humid here?I am staying at the Wardman Park Marriot. A grand hotel. I have a very nice suite of rooms here with a private balcony which affords me a skyline dominating view of the National Cathedral.Other than that, I have paid my respects to my friends at Arlington National Cemetary. And I have had some wonderful meals, at Murphy's Irish Pub on 24th Street and at the Dupont Grille at Dupont Circle. Ahh, Crab Cakes and Yuengling beer. Life is good. But I imagine I shall have to pay much heed to Brother Maynard upon my return. He will be jealous indeed.Doc Bryant

Brother Luis:Last night we dined at the Capital Grille. I started with crab and lobster cakes, followed by a wonderful spinach salad with bacon vinagrette dressing. A large sirloin done medium rare accompanied by cottage fries and onion strings was the side dish. There was absolutely no room for the sweets afterwards. Sister Desta of the Dark Blue Cadillac Fleetwood Limo fetched us back to our humble digs at Wardman Park so we could rest up for the coming big adventure day-125 mph on the North East Corridor. There is something awfully nice about being wheeled about town in a Cadillac limo and listening to good jazz on the entertainment system. The Good Sister shall also be my chariot out to far Dulles Airport on Monday. Let the big sharks move about in armored and stretched Hess and Eisenstadt Lincolns, with suited machine gun toting outriders. Sister Desta at the helm is quite the pleasurable ride.Doc Bryant

I met Scott previously, and now Doc. We talk for years to each other on this Forum, and build-up bonds of friendship, but never have a chance to meet. It was therefore a special pleasure to have met Doc even if the visit was rather brief. Doc is, in real life, exactly as he is on the Forum personality-wise. So I can confirm that he is for real! He told me he expected to see someone in his 30s (I must have shocked him with my generous grey hair) considering I was such a rabble rouser in the hey-days of ProPilot. Or so he claims.Hopefully Doc will come this way again once the new air museum opens at IAD this November.It was, in sum, great fun.Meekal or Mr. Meekal as he refers to me

Ahh yes...Another visit is in order.As I awaited my Long Beach Aluminium Executive Mailing Tube to DFW, I gazed fondly at yonder Concord(e) sitting forlornly on the far ramp at Dulles. Soon to be stuffed and mounted in the Air & Space Museum remote site, and then subject to oohs and ahhs from the assembled throngs of visitors. That is near enticement enough for a return visit to DC. Now if I can swing another train ride or two!I really did expect that Meekal would be younger than I. And I stand by my assesment of his skills at making the pot boil over. I just figured that such passion was the calling card of a younger fellow.And it was with great sadness that our all too short visit ended. I had to go find some computer power supply bits for my laptop, a Toshiba Lead Brick model. I left the power stuff at home. So that was an eighty dollar mistake. And after securing the power supply stuff, it was off to Union Station to catch a train. Luckily, the train was not moving, so it was an easy catch. It would have been a rough go had it not been tied down.And hopefully on my next visit to the mysterious East, I can include a visit with the Keeper of the Singapore Switch, Miss Lindy. That is, if I am important enough to pry her away from the Flinging Wings Simulator.Doc Bryant"Doc is, in real life, exactly as he is on the Forum personality-wise. So I can confirm that he is for real!"Translation from Diplomat Speak...."What an adorable Looney! At least he did not wear a tinfoil top hat to ward of space based communications!"

Watch that! I made my living for 12 years dealing with space-based communications! Who do you think was out teaching the cable television operators all the neat things that fall out of the sky from those geostationary space-based microwave repeaters? I was one of the crowd out giving technical seminars in 1977 to the cable engineering bunch of guys at no less than FIVE regional seminars.As far as graying, for me it a race between gray hair and no hair as the third picture on page 15 will attest.http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise/rv9a015.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Ahh, Jerry, perhaps a hat is in order next time a flash picture is to be taken.His Excellency, Mr. Meekal sports a distinguished, almost professorial mop of grey hair. He reminds me quite a bit of George Plimpton, author and fellow fireworks enthusiast. My hair is just starting the transition to grey about the temples. As a matter of fact, the Methodist temple was turning me grey, so I left. I tease my sister and brothers about my lack of grey hair. They tease me about my weight.My younger brother thought he could be mistaken for Christopher Reeves (pre horseback riding accident), and the older brother thinks he bears a great resemblance to Clint Eastwood (I did not know Dirty Harry was that short, almost Cruisian in stature). I just tell all I resemble Dan Blocker. Or Orson Welles when I had a beard.Our family's Community Antenna Television system was pre Satellite. Well, no, the Plymouth Satellite was around then. I drove a patrol car version of the 4 door Satellite. We were only in the cable business for a short time. Short enough that we raised the rates two bucks a month per household, added three more stations to the offering, recouped our investment out of the cash flow (nearly 100 percent market share-you either had a cable hookup or you did not have TV, I love those deep river valleys) and sold the whole deal to Tele Media Corp. I think. And I got a big Zenith Color Console TV. Whooeee! Now Casa Doc is TV free. And has been for almost twenty years. I see most of my tv viewing in airport gate areas and hotel rooms. I do not miss it.Doc Bryant

Clint and I share the same birthday, although not the same year. My cousin is also born on that day, five years ahead of me.As for height, I was an even 6' 0" in my youth, but have come down a bit as I passed the half century mark. At 56, I am content to keep my weight and blood pressure under control.The game today is to keep tabs on the ABF truck with my fuselage in it as it works its way in this direction. I have been to Green River, Utah and had dinner there last year one evening on my way to Moab for the night. At this moment in time, my crates are on that truck in that town waiting for the next driver to bring them ever closer. The internet is a vast source of useful information and personal entertainment. It brought all of us PP fans together as it does now.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Doc, I would consider you more than important enough to pry me away from the "eggbeaters". :-D And if you must, please feel free to wear your tinfoil tophat....I won't do more than chortle, chuckle and guffaw. :-lol But alas I have no cigars to offer. :-( -Lindy :-wave

Keeping tabs on the shippers, that is also the game plan around Casa Doc.I have a M37 tailgate en route from Hammondsport, NY; blackout lights and ramp lights for same coming from Iowa; and a bronze Leslie A-200 locomotive horn coming from the Chicagoland area.After watching all that, it's a rubber chicken banquet dinner down town tonight. I can already tell it's going to get out of hand there.Doc Bryant