Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A page 25 updated!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Rivets at last in the forward section and center section. I put in all the rivets I could reach by myself earlier. A neighbor wanted to help me with the riveting, so today was his first chance! In an evening session, we managed to get all the side skin rivets and the floor pan and stiffener rivets set ahead of the wing attach bulkhead. Some of the rivets on the bottom of the firewall were also installed. You can see two new pictures here:http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise3/rv9a026.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Howdy Jerry,It looks like things are getting a bit tight in that garage!But you seem to be moving along at a good rate, congratulations. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/...y/xyxthumbs.gif[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Sounds like you've got yourself a Tom Sawyer situation, Jerry."No, really, bucking rivets is lots of fun. Here, give it a try. See, I knew you would like it."I guess that when you are working on such a nice project, people just pop up and want to take part. If I were around, I would do the same. Hopefully, you are giving Ray some beer.Best regards.Luis

No beer for Ray, just tap water, without ice. I offered him a Budweiser when we finished the first evening, but he declined. He is 30 years old, and a soft spoken married guy who works for the local power company. Just him, his wife and a dog -- no kids. He already had experience bucking rivets with his father, who has an A&P license. He has been around a group of guys who fly gliders, but he is apparently not interested in becoming a pilot for himself. I haven't asked why, and he has not offered to tell me. I am just thankful for a good riveting partner.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry,Do you have any idea how rapidly your assembly is progressing, compared to an average, or "expected"?Your aircraft seems to be coming together at lightning speed, but that's from the viewpoint of someone who has no idea what would be normal.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

By some folks accounts, this is about 1/2 way done. By others, about 1/3 of the way. What you are seeing is the large parts which give a dramatic effect. I call them milestones, since they provide a psychological "boost" to my morale and motivate me to work harder.As Larry says, "When you are 90% done, you still have 90% to go". The thing you have to remember is he is building an RV-6. He had to lay out all the holes and drill every one of them. The kits for RV-7, RV-8, RV-9, and RV-10 are all pre-drilled by a computer numerically controlled machine at the Van's Aircraft factory. That alone saves at least 400 hours from the project. So, theoretically, I could be finished at 1,600 hours or so. As of today, my total time stands at 835.3 hours of actual aircraft construction, and another 62.7 hours of make ready work like building tables, jigs, and fixtures, etc. That brings the total project work time to 898 hours. So, I guess I am over the "hump"! What a thought!!!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry & everyone else --- I'm up to 70% of the "second" 90% at last! Seat's in the pic, are the foam cutouts from Van's. Last "expensive" item, except for paint, is the strobe system which I'm getting this week. Panel, radio, transponder, light dimmers (2), and over 300' of wiring all work. Vacuum pump, plumbing, and prop governor are also ready to go. Just need the "dreaded" fiberglass work on cowl & windscreen now. Hopefully, it will be ready to go (un-painted?) by spring..L.Adamsonhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44494.jpg

I was hoping you would grant another view of your plane. And it is the best, the cockpit and panel view. I see you are arranging your own upholstery. Have you selected the color scheme for the interior?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Shades of grey for the interior. The seat belts/harness are the purple-grey from Van's. They are basically grey with a hint of purple & look good. I'll just make everything go with the belts :)L.Adamson