Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

No Short Final?

I came here expecting to make a comment about the "kindler, gentler" F.A.A., but no luck. It seems that Doc has been out carousing again all night long, and did not get around to it. Poor Maynard, home alone, while Doc plays.Best regards.Luis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was not carousing. I was working. Got in at 4 am, and completely forgot my duties as I was doing an experiment.Brother Maynard of Antioch is upset by the new lawn sprinklers I had installed recently. He wakes me up when they cycle on. And promptly goes nuts over water seemingly defying the laws of gravity, spurting from "His" lawn. So, I shut all the windows to see if muffling the sound of them at work would keep Maynard from going batshit nuts. It worked pretty well. He woke me at 0600 to let me know they came on. And then he let me sleep.I will get to Short Final in a few moments!Doc BryantHere- Short Final for November 3Overheard October 19, near Las Vegas:United XXX: LA Center, say again the frequency for United XXX. No answer on 133.4. Center: United XXX, 133.4 is correct. Try again. If there's still no answer, come back up this frequency ... and I'll send somebody over there to smack the dirt out of their ears.

I was working in the garage the other day on the RV-9A and listening to my scanner covering the ATL center frequencies, CHAttanooga approach, and the CHA tower frequency.A captain of an airliner thought he made his "Welcome Aboard" announcement over the PA instead of the COMM radio. Another pilot replied after the errant transmission: "Can I put down my tray table now?"The controller made no comment, and I presume the first pilot heard the reply from the pilot of the other plane.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Brother Maynard of Antioch? Has Maynard gone and joined a Middle Eastern monastic sect? I hope they haven't tonsured him.I know what you mean about him waking you up in the morning. My darling doggie comes in the bedroom and places her muzzle on the bed. If I don't get up, she gets her front paws up on the bed and stares at me until I do.But, she is not the worst. We also have some peafowl wandering around the yard. The young son (although he is already a year and a half old) is a particular problem. We have a hurricane fence around the house separating it from the farm. Every morning, the peacock comes down from his roost in a mango tree on the other side of the fence and then starts to call so that I will open the gate for him. This is around 6:00 A.M. No late mornings in bed for me. If you have ever heard the cry of a peacock, then you know my suffering.Best regards.Luis

Luis,One of the "big money" areas of southern California, Palos Verdes Estates, has a huge peafowl problem. It started with a few brought in as pets or something, but over the years has turned into a major disruption of life in the area. Noise, mess, damage... and of course half of the population there think they're cute and must be protected, the other half want to load up their twice-barrels and do a little hunting.I'm about 12 miles north of there, so I just read about it in the paper and chuckle a bit.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Hello Bob,Many people think of them as pets, when they are really pests!They eat all the ornamental plants, all of them!, leave their droppings everywhere, so every day I must hose off the terraces, and make a general nuisance of themselves.On the other hand, I have grown attached to them. The parents and their children eat out of my hand. In the early morning, I go out on the terrace to have my coffee in peace while looking out towards the mountains to the west. My loving dog always accompanies me and gets pieces of butter cookies. The peafowl, all 5 of them, cluster around, even jump up on my lap, looking for bread and cookies. During the day, they follow me around, expecting a hand-out, no doubt. I have cared for them for years and would not let them go for any reason.Also, the males are very beautiful birds with their astonishing tail feathers. The esthetic appeal alone largely justifies the negative aspects.Best regards.Luis

That brings up a very humorous image, Luis.I can just picture you sitting out on the terrace in the early morning, your faithful dog sitting next to you, with a peacock parked in your lap demanding a cookie. :-lolLife is grand. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Brother Luis:No, he has not joined some monastic sect. Being the rare English Trench Weasel that he is, I named him after the Keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. As in the Monty Python movie, "Monty Python and the Search for The Holy Grail."Brother Maynard does not quietly stare at me waiting for my waking moments. His sleep routine is strange, but seemingly adaptive to mine also.He sometimes retires prior to me (as the case tonight). After I get settled, he comes over to give me a goodnight kiss. Then he lays next to me until he believes I am safely asleep, then he moves away. Later on he moves further away, as I toss and turn quite a bit. Usually that means on the bedroom floor in the doorway. In the morning, while I am still asleep, he regains possession of the bed (to trick me into thinking he slept nearby all night, defending his master). Then, if the alarm clock has not been set, he gives me a kiss to wake me up. If that does not do, he whacks me soundly with his paw, and jumps over to the other side of the bed to follow the same routine. I have at this point usually spoken to him in his second language, Vulgarian. Another solid swipe of the well nailed paw indicates to me that he has no more intention of complying with my command than a tuna fish desires to play canasta.I do recall the cry of the pea fowl. A neighbor had some of them. Until they sadly became unruly. They taste like spotted owl you know.I do not know of a way to teach a bird about the proper time to greet the day. Six AM is never the proper time. Much like Bertie Wooster, I think 11ses are befitting a man of my stature. Saying that however, the idea of a peacock sharing butter cookies is probably recompense enough for the night shattering wake up call. As a mere stripling, I had at one time or another a few crows, a female pheasant, and a hawk (of which the authorities did not know). The crows stayed around the longest, the others left after they became either well enough or went the terminal course due to their injuries. The crows seemed to like spoonfuls of Ken-L-Ration dog food, preferably delivered to them while they were in the Long John Silver position upon your shoulder. My Mother took a very dim view of that when one of the crows mistook her for her bird loving sons. That mistake of eyesight they never repeated. To this day I cast a blind eye to the birds helping themselves to Brother Maynard's dog food. Alas, he does not share my enthusiasm for the sharing process. He has caught more than a few of them pilfering and presented them to me, still flapping. After I gave them my departing benediction, "Go ye and sin no more," Brother Maynard changed his modus operandi and saw to it that the delivered birds had already joined the Choir Eternal prior to the presentation ceremony. I suppose he caught one of them as a repeat offender, three strikes, and you are out. Doc Bryant

Doc,As usual, your verbal skills mixed with suitable humor have brought a smile to my lips yet again. I am glad to have you filling in my gaps this week while I am away from the airplane factory (aka Garage) at home in Tennessee. I should be home by bedtime Sunday evening after my social appointments tonight and tomorrow for both lunch and dinner. I start my big run to home from St. Cloud, Florida early Sunday morning to see my ailing mom as I pass by the Atlanta area Sunday afternoon/evening.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN