Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Picture time for the RV-9A project - Page 30 updated!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

All right! Some mechanical stuff! This is probably the most fascinating aspect of an aircraft (or car, boat, locomotive, you name it) to me. I'm one of these toolbox types who just loves to take something apart, find out how it works, and yes, even put it back together. :-)Some time ago Larry Adamson posted the image below. I spent hours staring at it, wonder what all the components were. I even added the letters, with the intent of reposting it and asking Larry "What's THIS? What's THAT?" But that seemed pushy, and I wasn't so well known here.But heck... "older and braver", and all that, so... Larry... What's THIS? What's THAT? :-lol

Don't feel obligated to answer, Larry, I'm just having fun here, and I love posting pictures. Helps speed up AVSIM, y'know? :-rollYour project is sure looking good, Jerry! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/...y/xyxthumbs.gif[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

You snuck in while I was creating my last post, Jerry. :-)Or, as "they" say... SIMULPOST![table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

It appears to be alot of point-to-point wiring instead of a color-coded wiring harness. But then, that is what "experimental" aircraft are all about. Since B has two plastic air tubes, it has to be the airspeed indicator. If you look down the postings in a thread somewhere below, you will see the front side of the panel showing all the guages.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Jerry,The orientation of the image threw me off completely. I thought down was down! Couldn't figure what all that stuff bolted to the floor was all about. :-)The curve of the framework should have tipped me off, dang it. Now that I know it's the back of the panel, I realize those are all gauges and radios and such. It all makes a whole lot more sense now.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

I am getting very familiar with that layout since there are many similarities from the RV-6 to the RV-9 fuselage.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

A different pic....Over three hundred feet of aircraft wire, which doesn't burn easily. I happen to know, because I didn't remove a diode for a over-voltage relay which sent full battery current through an "un-protected" ground wire, when I turned on the master switch. It totally burned off the insulation for nearly four feet, but didn't even start to melt/burn the wires that it was bundled with. Good reason why aircraft wire cost's so much more; as plastic coated wire just goes up in flames.All these wires started as nice bundles, but didn't end up that way. I suppose I can reason, that the wire length is shorter going directly to where it goes, and hence "less weight"! :) There are also loops of wires that "supposeably" permit me to pull the three sections of the panel off the panel frame. But they probably criss-cross enough, that who knows!!!!There is even another wiring box underneath the seats which houses the relays for electric trims & all connections from the panel to the wings. But I didn't take a pic.Jerry doesn't know----------- but "systems" seem to take as long as building the whole aircraft :), so I won't mention it!! L.Adamson

I managed to burn some wire too, though this happened in my computer tower. My original sound card had an IDE connector on the end, for a convenient place to hook up the CD-ROM. A couple of years later, I obtained a new sound card, and it had (what I thought!) was another IDE connector. Dumb ol' me thought ALL sound cards had IDE connectors. You know how it goes... "Manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals!" :-rollWhat the connector is for is a daughter card, and the first indication that something was amiss is when I smelled something burning after turning on this system. So I powered down and pulled the side panel. Hmm, why does this IDE ribbon cable have a fried #2 wire? I apparently connected 5 or 12 volts directly to ground, but miraculously the cable was the only thing damaged, the sound card (a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) and the DVD/CD-ROM did and still do work fine. Lucky me!Thanks for the new image of your panel, Larry, with various items flagged. After realizing that it is the back of the panel and not "the floor", things made a whole lot more sense, and your new pic helps even further.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Robert,Actually, you can see the floor behind the panel with the screwdriver and cleco on the floor.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN