Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 1 December

From the folks at Avweb, the twice weekly compendium of things Aviating....Short FinalOver Philly on a gorgeous CAVU Sunday...Cessna XXX: Philly approach, Cessna XXX with you at 4,500.Philly Approach: Cessna XXX, Roger, Altimeter 30.69 and numerous targets in your vicinity.Cessna XXX: Could you be more specific about the targets?Philly Approach: OK, 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 5 o'clock - would you like me to continue?Cessna XXX: Negative, we get the picture...Doc Bryantso many targets, so litte ammunition...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Edited for my terrible spelling!Hello Doc,This forum needs a post.The controller's response reminded me of a controller I befriended some years ago out at the local FBO. He did his job well and knew it. He also flew and was, at the time, a 13 year veteran with the FAA. To qualify him a little more, he had worked down at West Palm Beach before coming to Gulfport. While here, he placed a bid for a slot at Nashville and is now there.On initial contact, give 'em an altimeter reading and a squawk. Continuing with "numerous targets in your vicinity" is lagniappe and should have let the guy know that things were busy. Don't you think?Oh well, I've had controllers chastise me in the past, with cause, and felt that the whole world had heard it. Terribly embarrassing. It makes a fellow try and do better.Regards,Joehttp://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

Joe,I learned to fly in the Palm Beach area. Lantana airport was under the outer band of the CLASS C (ARSA in those days) airspace of KPBI. I called the ATC facilities there via landline and was allowed inside to visit with the staff in the tower and downstairs in PBI approach control. It was an informative day.On more than one occasion, I have been cleared for 2200 feet MSL North/South mid-field over the VOR at PBI while going to/from the Lantana airport. I have also been vectored along the coast at or below 500 feet, 1/2 mile offshore, or below 1000 feet, 1 mile offshore. They always allowed you enough altitude to glide to the beach in case of engine failure.And yes, the very day that I soloed in a 172, there was plenty of traffic at Lantana to negotiate at an uncontrolled airport (KLNA).Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN