Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Merry Christmas! Here's page 34 for you all.

The electric fuel pump was delivered on the 23rd and it was installed yesterday. Here are the details of the work done on Christmas Eve day for you guys to view:http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise3/rv9a034.htmIt's time now to get to work on the flexible brake lines to connect the LEFT and RIGHT brake controls together with the brake fluid reservoir.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jerry,If you don't mind a suggestion, where lines or cables come close together like the aileron trim cable and the fuel lines, I use a couple of plastic tie wraps to form a stand off to keep them from rubing together which also stops vibration. Plastic tubing over the pipe is fine but over time if they rub together the plastic tubing can develope a hole in it. If you've never used plastic tie wraps to make a stand off it's easy. Take one tie wrap and place it loosely (leave enough room to get a second tie wrap in the middle) around both items to be held away from each other. Take a second tie wrap and place it in between the two items and pull it tight then tighten up the first tie wrap. This works even in the engine compartment with hoses and cables and is a lot less expensive than clamps. It looks like you're making great progrees and sounds like you might even be enjoying it. :-)Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Nice description of the standoff issue. It sounds like you are using the tie-wrap in the "middle" as round shock absorber and spacer.As for progress, I am running out of things to do until the finishing kit shows up, and that is about NINE weeks away. I am going out today to find some aluminum plate to do modifications to the instrument panel. I am going to use the original panel as a structural piece, with the instruments actually mounted on the flat plates as sub-panels. That way, I can take out an entire group for easy access after the airplane is completed.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Yep, that's exactly how it works. I became quite proficient at it when I installed the engines after they were overhauled. The AI that inspected my work said "If he had me working for him, he would buy stock in the tie wrap company" :-)Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilotCouple other suggestions about tie wraps.Get a good pair of diagonal side cutters (dikes) that cut off straight. If you don't cut the ends off flush with the square other end it leaves a protrusion that will cut you hands and arms when your working around them like in the engine compartment.Also instead of using clamps on low pressure drain hoses like moisture drains or hoses that attach to drains on a bottom cowling, use a plastic tie wrap. A lot easier to install and remove and a lot cheaper.

Ed,I have been in the communications industry over 32 years. I know about that sharp edge on the tie-wraps. I have made up many a bundle of cables in the racks of a cable television headend building.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN