Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lindy

I got SUCH a great Christmas gift today

I got a real, honest-to-goodness helicopter ride! I'm still grinning from ear to ear. A friend arranged for a buddy of his (who owns his own R22 helicopter) to land in the backyard, pick me up and take me for a ride around the Sandbridge/Pungo/Va.Beach area. My friend told me I was to be at his place about 2 p.m. this afternoon; we were supposed to be going to a neighbor's for a belated Christmas dinner.I got there right at 2 p.m. and less than ten minutes later, the little R22 flew over. I watched as it landed in the yard next to my car (thankfully it didn't HIT my car!) LOL The pilot did not shut down and I sure didn't want to get a crewcut from the blades! I crouched down (just like on TV) and got inside. The R22 is only a two-seater; in warm or hot humid weather it can only carry a payload of just over 300 lbs. I'm no lightweight and I asked him if it would carry both of us. He laughed and assured me it would..... the cool, dry weather improved the payload weight considerably.He lifted up a few feet, hovered for a few moments and then we were off! It was my very first time in a real helo, and now I want to take at least one lesson. LOL We were able to legally fly only about 500 feet above ground and went over my condo. It was a great present.I just needed to share this experience with my ProPilot friends.Ed (Weber): It wasn't BETTER than flying Big Red, but it was just as good! LOL -Lindy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As you can see from other posting, this seems to the week for rides in aircraft.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Hey, next time we have devastating fires out here, maybe YOU can be the one bringing in all the poles........:-rotorNice gift, Lady........Pork

Great, Lindy, congratulations! It is easy to get hooked on helos, and sightseeing flights are lots of fun.First time I went up was in high school - I was secretary of the Aviation Club. Mostly, we just dreamt of flight, but occasionally we would do something. One time, we went on a tour of the tower at JFK. Another time, we poor boys put our pennies together and went on a short flight on a sightseeing helicopter. Wonderful! We got in line at the heliport on the Hudson with other tourists and took off and flew right over all the skyscrapers all the way to Central Park. Very impressive, even though it only lasted about 20 minutes.Next day, I read in the Daily News that the helicopter we were on crashed in the river with the tourists (Dutch, I think) that were in line right behind us! All aboard died. Talk about fate. But it hasn't kept me from going up again. Every time I can, I prefer the helo shuttle to a taxi.Hope that you get up in one again soon.Best regards.Luis