Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A Page 35 -- the instrument panel.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jerry,I don't comment often on your plane. I'm following your progress, though.I've always been a fan of that Narco NAV-122. I see where the latest-greatest can be interfaced with a GPS. Never have had the bucks to spring for the latest anything. One of the early models with a yellow tag and cosmetically clean looking would suit me just fine.That newfangled artifical horizon...could you tell me about it? Looks like it does a number of things. How does direct sunlight on that type of display affect how well you can see it?Questions, questions! I'm taking away from your build time with them.Joehttp://myweb.cableone.net/joesumralliii/hook5.gif

Hi Jerry,Just a thought about your panel lay out. If your like me when flying with a stick from the left seat and throttle in the middle, you use your left hand on the stick and your right for the throttle/prop control/mixture. You might want to consider placing the wing leveler control below the OBS (where the second IVSI is shown) so that you don't have to remove your left hand from the stick or reach across with your right hand to make selections. Is there going to be enough room to allow for a fitting and a static line to attach behind the altimeter? Looking good,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Nice idea about the choice of hands vs. location of the wing leveler. I had not considered that aspect. As for space behind, that is not an issue when "T" fitting are used across the back side. The static port plumbing has four places to go: airspeed meter, Dynon color display, altimeter, and vertical speed meter.The Pitot tube plumbing has to go to the true airspeed and the Dynon unit.As for answers on the display, you should be able to get all your answers here. I am satisfied with what I have seen of it at a friend's house in Huntsville, Alabama. The only picture I have of his installation was with it turned OFF on my page 29.http://www.dynondevelopment.com/http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise3/rv9a029.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Joe,See my panel layout reply to Ed Weber below about the Dynon EFIS display.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I kept a space for a 430 also, but it could "also" be awhile... :)BTW-- I also designed my panel so that I wouldn't be crossing hands anywhere. I must have read about the idea in some design book somewhere, or perhaps I was in a plane where the idea was mentioned.A great place for my flap switch is between the throttle & prop knob. That way, I can flick it with my finger as the right hand is on the throttle.L.Adamson

You ever get that thing out of the garage? Am I WAY behind?????Pork

Pork raised a good question. We haven't seen any photos of your plane lately.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Pork, Jerry, and everyone else. I might have already posted these two pics.... not sure. Airplane is still in garage, but I have every last tidbit of materials to finish it............... if I wasn't working so hard elsewhere, such as a house 300 miles away in St.George Ut. Actually, not much is left of the project----- when I get to it! L.Adamson

What is the vertical dimension on the switch panels below your main panel? It appears to be around 2 inches if it is the same height as the throttle quadrant.I like that row of red lights up top. I have been wondering what to put up there.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

>What is the vertical dimension on the switch panels below>your main panel? It appears to be around 2 inches if it is>the same height as the throttle quadrant.>>I like that row of red lights up top. I have been wondering>what to put up there.>They are 2" & being 6'1", my legs don't hit them, but I found that a center consol to the floor would have bugged me, as I like my knee bending past the center of the cockpit. The sub panels are set on angles while the center section for throttle is same angle as panel. The annunciator lights are miniture amber LED's from radio shack.My panel is also in three seperate sections screwed to the sub-frame cut from the original panel. Even constructed the left main instrument panel twice because I scratched the paint. First one had flush screws for the 3" instruments which I didn't like anyway. The new "left" panel section uses roundhead brass screws that are painted black -- as bought from Aircraft Spruce.L.Adamson