Sign in to follow this  
Guest TimK

ETC ProTrainer

Folks,For those of you who may be interested, ETC has updated the web pages pertaining to thier ProTrainer product with additional screen shots and information. It seems as if there could be a commercial offering for the product as it looks like one could order just the software online from the website in the near future.http://www.flyprotrainer.com/Tim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Is it me or, does it still read "ketchup" mode?Visions of PP99 advertisements dance in my head.......??????Pork

>Is it me or, does it still read "ketchup" mode?>>Visions of PP99 advertisements dance in my head.......??????>>PorkI have the same thought in my head too.I have no problem puchasing it if I knew that this was just a "first attempt" into the flight sim market and knew that they would continue to bring it up to a level that either exceeded or at least put it on par with the "latest" in simulator visuals and functionality.My fear is they will not. How long have they had to play with the original from S****A (I still cannot bring myself to mention their name)? Also, this is what they are using with their Motion Platform. I would have expected to see much better at this point.However, the bottom line for me would be to purchase it, for the sake of nostalgia. I miss the days of new realeases and the excitement that led up to them. Sigh.

For those that may have missed it, a demo is available fordownload at the pro trainer web site. It's 180mb in sizeand decompresses to about 500mb. Some features are disabled and the demo times out in 15day's unless it's authorized.It will run on a well spec'd system without the need forspecial hardware however, so if you've got a fast connectionit may be worth the download to see what ETC have been up to.Tim C

I love it. This is better than a roll call! Finally, something about our favorite flight simulator. About the only thing that needed to be added to PP2K Alpha was photo realistic roads for VFR pilots. Remember that PP99 and then 2K were the first flight sims with 3D elevation rendering. MSFS had to play catch up on that feature. The flight dynamics and handling of the simulated aircraft on our favorite sim were still the best on the market and appear to STILL be so today as well.I am leaving town on business tomorrow and will be away from my cable modem connection for at least a week. I will keep watch on this forum while I am away and will probably download the ETC demo when I return home.Thanks Tim for pulling this old message out of moth balls and updating the information.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

This is great news, Tim. Thanks very much.Can't wait to try the demo, and shall get it even if it takes a month of downloads.Best regards.Luis

I guess it helps to have a 605 kbps connection. Here's a "quick" review before my football game starts. Go Huskers ! They aren't even on TV today. I'm listening to their home radio on the Internet.There was our old familiar C172, on a runway at Salt Lake City, with "weather". While I was "looking around", raindrops started hitting the windshiled. The graphics were ok, but the outside didn't look "significantly better". The interior screens look nicer than what I remember, and have a nice little plane outline in the upper corner that shows your field of view in green. Reminds of F16 Falcon views from 10 years ago.I don't have as much graphics card as called for in the specs (Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 32mb), but the graphics "played". ETC says:"MONITOR/ CARD SUPPORT:SVGA, 1024 x 768 @True color, nVidia GeForce graphics card or equivalentFor best performance any graphics board used should have the following statistics and functions:64MB VRAM, W-Buffer support, Microsoft DirectX

There is no incentive for eye candy since they are interested in selling the PCATC hardware, which is where the real money is to be spent. Notice that they will also sell you a computer from their web site. They can make a few bucks there too.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Well, this is a disappointment! No point in getting it if I cannot use it with my joystick (that has just died anyway! Lesson learned: do not buy Logitech!)Thanks for the review, Dan. We shall just have to stick with Flight Simulator, if it ever works right.Best regards.Luis

Luis,The flight models in PP99 with all the patches in place are still the best I have seen and it runs on a 200 MHz MMX CPU computer. I run mine on a 450 MHz AMD CPU with a Voodoo 5 and get frame rates in the 25-30 range.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Just to clarify a few points in Dan's post, theplanes in the demo are started by calling up a seperate screen from the cockpit view and utilizingthe mouse. Very similar to PP99.Like Dan, I was unable to get my yoke/pedals workingbut a joystick works just fine. I tried a microsoftsidewinder and all switches, axis, etc. were fullyfunctional. I've only spent about 15 minutes so far with the demoso I'm going to reserve further comments until later.Happy downloading.Tim C

Good news, Tim. Thanks!As far as I can tell, Jerry, the ProPilot flight models are still better than the competition. Of course, I have never flown a Citation Jet, nor even been inside of one.Best regards.Luis

"Lesson learned: do not buy Logitech!"I've had a series of Logitech keyboards, trackballs, and mice, and have always been happy with them.My joystick, however, is a Saitek CYBORG 3D Gold, and I love it! :-)I also have a Saitek wireless gamepad (never used), and I'm quite impressed by Saitek's quality overall.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

My cheap Logitech WingMan works fine with ProTrainer.I am getting around 26 fps with a "low-midrange" system, with fluid flight and fluid instumentation. Nice weather and cloud effects, and in all the ground textures are very good. But frankly I am not impressed with thier "marketing" and lack of communication. I have emailed them a few times about pricing and content with no response.Also, there is no mechanism to authorize and purchase the software online as they advertise that there is on the web site . The demo is only good for 15 days but the website states 30.My 2 cents

I feel like some kind of yoyo, the kid's toy, not the other kind. Up and down, up and down. First, I want the Pro Trainer, then Dan says it won't work with his setup, so I don't want it anymore. Then, Tim says it works great with his joystick and I want it again. Now other Tim says his Logitech joystick works fine, but the demo is only good for 15 days. All right, I give up. No major download for me. No point in spending a month getting the demo if it only lasts for 2 weeks. I shall remember ProPilot with great fondness, and best of luck to Pro Trainer.On to Logitech. I have the Wingman Force 3D and only got it because it is the only joystick out there that does not look like some teenager's sci-fi fantasy. It looks like a real (military) joystick. But, the little spring inside that controls the rudder movement got bent and fell off, so I had to take the whole thing apart to fix it, and not very well at that. (By the way, I am a very sedate pilot. No aerobatics for me. So, how did this spring get ruined? What does this say about quality?) And now the axis movement will not work when moving towards the left, so all aircraft do continuous right-hand turns. Not very amusing when taxiing or taking off on the runway.Bob, and anybody else, I would be very interested in opinions concerning joysticks. I have had a bad experience with this Logitech, and have only read bad things about them. Saitek, on the other hand, seems to impress people with its quality.I seem to remember that Joe has a Saitek, and now you, Bob, say it is very good. I was thinking of getting the Force Feedback model (Rumble 3D), but am open to any suggestions and comments. Many thanks.Best regards.Luis