Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Page 38 - and taking a break!

OK, I finished that one thing that I thought was needed to be done. You can see the results here:http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise4/rv9a038.htmYou can also see some of the ideas I am having about the panel layout. When and what to put where, etc.Not much else to do for a while as you will see when you read the new page text.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The timing is appropriate that I have run out of things to do on the fuselage, since I have company duties that require me to be on the road for a while.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

I now have the N2PZ number reserved for my RV-9A. It shows up on the FAA database at last.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

This vanity number is a real puzzler to me, Jerry. What does it mean?I hope you have not been cutting up your Aircraft Spruce catalogue for the pictures of instruments that you put on your panel.Finally, I do not remember satellite receivers in the '80's. I put it down to creeping senility and increasing forgetfulness, but were those the big 12 foot parabolas back then?Best regards.Luis

Vanity number? Yep, but cut short to meet the FAA requirements. My car has a license plate that is N2PRISE. I also had that one when I lived in Florida. Think of "Enterprise" with a "Southern Accent". Yeah, I'm a Star Trek fan. But then there was the aircraft carrier Enterprise. The first space shuttle that was flown to test the aerodynamics of the shuttle design was named Enterprise to honor the crew of NCC1701 (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, et al).If you have watched the current Star Trek program with Scott Bakula, the opening titles show an old English wooden war ship with sails, "Enterprize".Now, with all that, and the restrictions by the FAA to registrations that begin with the letter "N" and the following options:FIVE numbers: N20123FOUR numbers + 1 letter: N9032PUp to THREE numbers + 2 letters: N634AH, N63AH, N6AHWith all those possibilities, N2PZ was it. Imagine this radio exchange:"Chattanooga Approach, this is Enterprise calling, experimental, November TWO PAPA ZULU, inbound for a landing.""November TWO PAPA ZULU, say aircraft type.""TWO PAPA ZULU is a Van's Aircraft RV-9A.""Roger. Enterprise cleared for standard orbital approach to Runway 20. Contact tower on 118.3.""Roger. Enterprise confirms LEFT downwind for Runway 20. November TWO PAPA ZULU to 118.3."I will probably file my flight plans with the call sign "Enterprise" on them. After all, if British Airways can use the call sign "Speed Bird" followed by the flight number, then I can be "Enterprise". I was thinking about putting my old Florida vanity license plate on the baggage bulkhead in plain sight.The paper instruments came from the internet and were printed on my inkjet printer.Back in the 80's during my satellite career, a 12-foot dish was one of the small ones. Most were in the 15-16 foot diameter range. We also put up a number of 23-foot units. The biggest one that I was involved with measured 11 meters (around 36 feet across). That one had a dish, hub, and back structure that weighed about 8 tons. I can dig out some old pictures to give you a look if you want.We also had a conical horn antenna with a 14-foot aperture for sites that had terrestrial microwave interference in the 4 GHz band.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Love it, Jerry. You are in for a lot of interesting radio calls, for example:"Enterprise, descend to 3000 feet, reduce speed to warp factor 2."Best regards.Luis

One-half impulse is more like it. And no, I don't plan on putting on hard points to attach any warp nacelles.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN