Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

USB CH Products and PP99

Does anyone know if PP99 works with CH's USB Flight Sim Yoke and USB Pedals ? It's been quite a while since I've seen postings about controls, so I've forgotten what works and what doesn't.I've been using the gameport Virtual Pilot Pro and Pro Pedals with a 200 mHz PC, and the framerates have always been acceptable (20's fps).A couple of weeks ago one of my daughters and her hubby were given, who in turn gave to me, an 800mHz AMD with the hard drive removed. I had an extra 850MB HD that had croaked on my oldest son's PC a few years ago. Well, I put that in the AMD PC, got it FDISKed and reformatted (3+ MB of bad tracks!!) and working it spite of itself. So, then I knew the PC worked. I installed my backup Voodoo2 (you know you're hooked on PP99 when you have a backup Voodoo of some kind!), and it in fact works with the onboard video hardware! I installed PP99, and it definitely is smoother -- 55-60 fps.Here's the problem, which I'd guess many of you already know of. The CH gameport devices only work on what it calls "fast" gameports. If you have a "slow" one, then you'll get "NOT CONNECTED" in the gaming options / joystick setup windows. The speed can be verified by a CH diagnostic program. My ISA Soundblaster 16 sound card/gameport card in my 200mHz is "fast." The onboard gameport on the AMD is "slow." It has no ISA slots, so I can't simply put in another ISA game card. I once tried a PCI sound/gameport card on the 200mHz a couple of years ago, and lo and behold, it too was "slow." I was then trying to use the gameport CH stuff for flying, and a gameport steering wheel/pedals that "needed" a PCI gameport (I couldn't find a steering wheel that would work with just a regular ISA gameport). Well, that combo didn't fly. I ended up upgrading to Win98 and a PCI USB 5-port card and a USB steering wheel and putting my ISA card back in for the CH items.I have both a gameport and USB joysticks which both work with the AMD. But if I want a flight yoke & pedals, the only real solution is USB.I also want a projector for a wall/screen display for more realism, but that's gonna have to wait... right along with the Mooney or Cessna 210 (although the projector stands a fighting chance in the next year or so).Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dave,Let me first post the disclaimer that I don't have PP99 so I can't say that it will absolutely work. The CH Flight Sim Yoke and Pro Pedals should work with almost any game that reads the Windows/DirectX interface to the first/default gameport.As you may know the Yoke and Pedals both come with CH's Control Manager software and that updated versions are available from CH's website. Using the Control Manager software you should be able to map axes from both devices into a single four axis multi-button controller. CH accomplishes this by creating a virtual controller in the OS and mapping the physical axes/buttons to the virtual device.I've had to do this for at least two games/sims already. In my case the older of the two was Falcon 4. The Control Manager has a wizard to help simplify the creation of the virtual controller.I doubt my father has his copy of PP99 with him on the road this week or I'd offer to try it on one of my PC's while he's visiting.Ed

Actually, I do have a copy of PP99 with me, complete with all the patches.As you guys have guessed, I am in Texas this week and will be stopping by my son's house this weekend for some downtime from the trade show I have been attending this week in San Antonio.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

David,My apologies. It seems the CD-ROM I had was only the 90 Mbytes of Europatches, not the program. Oh, well.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Sign in to follow this