Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

RV-9A Finishing Kit has Arrived!

It's HERE! There are seven new pictures and text for those of you have been following my aircraft construction progress. I have been busy traveling on business during the "down time" waiting for this kit to arrive. I have plenty to do now, both for me and the company. You can catch up on the airplane at the link below.http://home.earthlink.net/~n2prise4/rv9a039.htmJerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Execllent! You'll be closer to that 90% done & 90% to go..........very soon now! :)L.Adamson ----- 60% of the last 90 ( I hope)P.S. ---- I just had the A&P out yesterday to remove all four cylinders to check for potential bad piston pins. This was a 1996 mandantory bulletin, that I just got around to. The engine's guts looked completely new, with no rust anywhere. And the pins were the correct ones. But at least I feel good about no rust....... which has much to do with Utah's dry climate. Besides, the engine ( Lyc 0360 A1A) was about $5,000.00 cheaper then!

Jerry, just having read installments #39 and #40, I have two observations...No way in hell would I undertake anything like this, and...You need a bigger garage dude!!!I admire your tenacity in taking this on and getting as far as you have.

Thanks, Tom!Today, I went out to the airport where a friend who is building an RV-8 was testing his first fuel tank for leaks. He had several that I helped him locate. He took me to his home to pick up some of the sealant that all RV builders use on their fuel tanks. While I was there, I checked out his new house he and his wife just moved into earlier this month. He was worried about building his fuselage in the basement and then getting out the door. He was already thinking about having the basement door enlarged when I picked up one his wing carry-through bulkheads and showed him that he had room to spare from the fuselage sides.The nice thing about his basement, he has enough room to not only build the fuselage, but also to install the wings for setting the wing incidence and match-drilling the appropriate mounting-bolt holes before he has to take the aircraft to the airport for final assembly.As for me, I have had a couple of offers for some hangar space at the Collegedale airport when it is time to do the final assembly, etc. I also had some time to fly around the pattern and do a short local sight-seeing flight today to get current on my Cessna 172 flight time.I can hardly wait until the RV-9A is ready for flight, but I must, and be vigilant in my remaining tasks to insure a safe first flight. I hope to get my RV transition training done sometime this year. If I can fly by the year-end of 2004, that would be marvelous. If it takes longer, so be it. Safety comes first, then the fun begins! I will post the news as it happens all along the way!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN