Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Tax Day, and heading for home.

In less than an hour, it will be April 15th and I will finish up my travels in South Florida in the morning to begin my trip northward to Statesboro, Georgia. I have an early sales call on Friday, then head home to the Chattanooga area.I have a busy Saturday planned, but I will get a chance to get some airplane work started again on Sunday, April 17th. I will let you guys see what is new when I get things going again at home. I am due to be home next week working from there, then out again to Philly for the last week of the month.Doc, are you kicked back and taking it easy per Doctor's orders?Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oh yes I am behaving.Only one cigar today, plus took Brother Maynard for a long walk in the morning. I worked on a computer this afternoon and went to a Ducks Unlimited Sponsor's dinner this evening. A rather nice affair, I came home with a snow goose decoy and another carved bird. What I am going to do with them, I do not know. I don't bird hunt as they are so damn hard to whack with a shotgun. Now if they are running on the ground and carrying a TV set, that's a different matter.Saw one of my ER doctors tonight. He was out enjoying a cigar too. Hmmmm. Nothing like living by example.Diet is going well actually. That too is a scary thought, me dieting.Doc Bryant

Doc,I know what you mean about dieting. I pulled up an old photo of me standing in front of a conical horn microwave antenna from around 1976 and realized there was 30 pounds less of me then.I am the one with the sun glasses. The guy who looks like Colonel Sanders was Howard Hubbard, antenna designer, AFC owner, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Incredible antenna, Jerry! That is an historic photograph, no doubt about it. What do current microwave antennae resemble, I wonder?Obviously, you have changed. But, at least, you don't look like Col. Sanders!Great picture.Best regards.Luis

One heck of a microwave horn. Yes it's good you do not look like Col. Sanders. I recall the Col. has joined the chicken coop eternal.Doc Bryant

Question is, does Brother Maynard need to cut back on the ducks as well??????........While there may be good fiber in the decoys, even I can't stand rice cakes.......8*)Pork

And so has Mr. Hubbard...may he rest in peace. That photo was taken on his 60th birthday.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Brother Maynard has cut back on cats. And he has done pretty well on birds too. He gets a ration of some German dog food at lunch and a pound of diced beef for dinner. Plus the occasional dog treat when he finds a way to trick me out of one.Doc Bryant

It feels good to be back on home turf, if only for a week. I have collected all my mail, paid the few bills that came, and unpacked some additional aircraft parts that arrived while I was away.Luis,You asked about microwave antennas, here is another photo for you to absorb.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71893.jpgThe big dish on the roof is a prime-focus satellite receiving dish on a polar-mount. That means it has a single-axis of rotation that is parallel with the axis of the Earth's rotation.ALL the antennas on the tower are also microwave antennas. The little white one at the very top of the tower rotates to receive local signals from a news truck in the immediate area (25 miles or less typically). It is looking away from my camera location toward the north. It is a small offset-fed, prime focus antenna.All the other gray dome-covered antennas are used to connect places like nearby TV stations, news bureau offices, etc. The antennas behind the radomes are parabolic in shape, and made of solid aluminum sheet that has been "spun" on a special tool to give them the correct shape.There are TWO round antennas that are not covered with gray radomes, probably operating in the 2GHz to 2.5 GHz range, to nearby UHF television transmitter tower sites that cover the Miami area. These antennas are also parabolic in shape, but made from horizontal aluminum tubing spaced evenly in the vertical plane. The space between the tubes is not wide enough for these "low-frequency" microwaves to pass between them. Like all the other antennas in this photo, microwaves are focused toward a waveguide or dipole antenna at the focus of the parabola for reception. Depending on what frequency each antenna is receiving from 1.5 to 14 GHz, there may be either a coaxial cable or an eliptical waveguide to transport signals into the building to the associated transmitters and receivers.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

Thanks very much, Jerry. That is a far cry from the big horn, isn't it?I saw a very small antenna in Europe about a decade ago. It was rectangular in shape, about 8-10 inches high, maybe 4-6 wide, and not ver deep. Used for home reception of satellite television - do you know anything about this?Here in the Caribbean, we do not have any satellites beaming us those wonderful offerings from Fox - to our great loss! If we want to receive the North American satellites, we must still use those 8-foot parabolas. Got to get one of those just as soon as I get the tv set fixed!Best regards.Luisdoesn't watch television, so has to get his kicks mowing the lawn!