Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Checkride Yesterday

"'Bout time!" I'm sure some of you are thinking. An interesting examiner -- he was in Korea for a few days before they called the cease-fire/truce (said he met Jayne Mansfield there - I didn't know she went there -- and since one of the first things he noticed on my application was my age of 50, I'm sure he surmised I knew who she was, which was correct, only mostly from watching Bob Hope movies). He grew up in East St. Louis, went to Parks College and got his A&P, then flying licenses, and amongst all the other things/people he flew, and places flown to, were "minor league" hockey teams in the '60s (forgot what they called the league) -- Omaha Knights/Rangers (where I'm from), Oklahoma City, Dallas, St. Louis Blues for the short hops, St. Louis University's soccer, hockey and basketball teams (where I spent 2 years). When the minor league teams were to fly out after the game, he and the co-pilot would watch the first 2 periods and then drive to the airport to prep the plane (DC-3). Not being an airline, they had to do everything themselves -- including catering. Well, I told him I watched many games there in Omaha, and wouldn't be surprised if we were in the coliseum at the same time. In another job, he sometimes flew into Offutt AFB (southeast corner of OMA). And, since we lived about 10 miles away and off to the side of the flight path, I probably saw him fly by. Interesting. I guess the first question they probably ask everyone is "why do you want to fly/get a license? Have you always wanted to?" I told him my father was an F-80 crew chief at Elmendorf AFB (Anchorage, AK) about the same time he was in Korea. I'm sure that didn't make him feel any younger. But since I'm now a half-century old myself, I feel I can make statements like that and get away with it. Anyway, I said I haven't always seriously wanted to fly, because of the cost, mostly. But that I did start lessons 24 years ago, and that got interrupted with a 2-year trip to Korea of my own (courtesy of the USAF and some of my own tax dollars), and told him I just put it on pause until 2 1/2 years ago. Add in another pause Feb '03 to Feb '04, and here I am. I wanted to add another skill, fly my dad around (I'll figure the logistics of that later - he's in OMA), and just for the utility of it. Though I did not tell him this, I am the first one on either my mother or father's side of the family that has even attempted to get a license, so there was some motivation there, too. Oh yeah -- there's this friend in our church was has a Cessna 210 who said he'd take me for a ride if I got licensed.The emergency landing was painless - a lot less than I thought it would be. After getting 65kts for glide speed and finding the field (several grass strips from which to choose), I said I'll try to restart... "Fuel selector both..." and he immediately said, "it won't restart". I said "I'll call 'Mayday, Mayday...' and he interrupted and said "you don't need to call anyone." Okay --- I said "I'll set the transponder to 7700." He said "you don't need to do that". Okay ... now just using more generic language, "okay, then, I'll start shutting everything off." He said "you don't need to do that either." Well, at least he knew I knew what to do, and in what order. That was the part I was sweating the most, and it turned out to be a non-factor.So, after the flight portion, where I messed up a couple of things, he must have been in a good mood, because he told me to sign this little form in the place that said "Airman Signature." That's when it really sunk in.And as Jerry so fondly says, I now have that license to learn ... and now I know that means all the other numerous things that are not required by the books/rules, but rather all the intangibles and fine points --- and to just enjoy the view out the window.I just want to thank PP99 for its assistance - looks really nice with an 800-mHz PC (Voodoo II) and projected large on the wall (Epson PowerLite S1), and CH products and friends and family.And last, but not least, the support of the PP99 family here - sorry it took so long.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Congratulations Dave. Now the enjoyment begans. I hope you have as many happy hours in the air as I have had and that the Gods of the sky smile on you.Keep the blue side up.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Congratulations, Dave. I got my PPL at Eppley Airfield in Omaha. Small world! -Lindy :-rotor:-wave

I remember you being a Cornhusker - but I don't recall you mentioning before that you got yours at Eppley.When was that, may I ask ?Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Thank you, sir, although I'm getting kind of a late start.But in this case "better late than never" applies.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

And learn you will! Fly safely and remember good judgement and good flight plans can keep you out of trouble.As for me, my travels are going to take me someplace I WANT to go for a change. I will be heading out this coming Friday for a 15-day road trip that will take me to S. Florida again, and then fly from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle with a trip down to Portland, Oregon and then back up to central Washington to Moses Lake to teach a seminar class on activating the reverse path of a cable system. And of course, when I get down to Portland over that weekend, I will definitely be at Van's Aircraft on Monday morning, May 17th. With any luck, I may also get my transition training - or not. It may be too early for that.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN

When did I get my ticket??? a looonngg time ago!! I think I was 24 when I got my license; I'm over twice that age now and haven't been current for years and years. Time sure flies. Enjoy your flying. :D-Lindy :-wave

Many, many best wishes to you, Dave. This is a real milestone, a great accomplishment. Congratulations.As for the Janes, weren't they both nose art on bombers? That must be the aviation link. Just something about those girls that was bound to make them popular.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/74709.jpgBest regards.Luis

>So, after the flight portion, where I messed up a couple of>things, he must have been in a good mood, because he told me>to sign this little form in the place that said "Airman>Signature." That's when it really sunk in.When I did mine, I did "everything" real well, except the last thing. I missed the mark by 30-40 feet on the short-field landing. He said, "I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm giving you another chance". I missed again, not even a close. OK, there was a 20 kt. quartering crosswind, and I was very near the centerline. He gave me a good "talking to" on the ground, before we got out of the cockpit. I was sure I had failed.After I signed, and he left, I talked to the owner of the flight school about it. She just laughed, "Hey, he's a good guy, and just trying to find out if you are going to be a safe and sane pilot, willing to learn. You are. No sweat." Easy for her to say. Congratulatons, Dave ! ! ! I'll bet you're already a safe and sane pilot. {:^)DanCornhusker BSME class of '66