Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 24 May

From Avweb.com's twice weekly on line newsletter.....While practicing for my commercial license I was in the practice area west of Cleveland Hopkins airport. I had the radio tuned to the tower and heard this...Controller: Cessna ###, what is your purpose here on the field?Pilot: I'm here for my check ride.(pause)Controller: Are you a bit nervous?Pilot: A bit...Controller: Because you landed on the taxiway instead of the assigned runway....Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ouch!How slow can you go? It seems that it was a very busy day and a "good ol' boy" American (Texas-sounding) AF C-130 reserve pilot was in the instrument pattern for landing at Rhein-Main. The conversation went something like this... Tower: "AF1733, You're on an eight mile final for 27R. You have a UH-1 three miles ahead of you on final; reduce speed to 130 knots." AF1733: "Rog-O, Frankfurt. We're bringin' this big bird back to one-hundred and thirty knots fur ya." Tower (a few minutes later): "AF33, helicopter traffic at 90 knots now one-and-a-half miles ahead of you; reduce speed further to 110 knots." AF1733: "AF thirty-three reinin' this here bird back further to 110 knots" Tower: "AF33, you are three miles to touchdown, helicopter traffic now one mile ahead of you; reduce speed to 90 knots" AF1733 ( sounding a little miffed): "Sir, do you know what the stall speed of this here C-130 is?!" Tower (without the slightest hesitation): "No, but if you ask your co-pilot, he can probably tell you." Best regards.Luis