Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe

Looking for Short Final

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No, Doc is not out partying. But, I believe that there was no Short Final in the last edition of the AvWeb flash. Is that right, Doc?That is why there should always be an alternate. In this case, it is dedicated to all the people of the great state of Texas.An airplane is flying and develops engine trouble. The crew does everything possible to retain altitude. They toss out extra baggage, jettison fuel, etc. The First Officer claims, "If we lose another 500 pounds, we'll make it".So, the Captain asks for volunteers to jump from the plane to a certain death, the ultimate humanitarian gesture. Four guys go to the back of the plane: an Englishman, a Mexican, a Frenchman, and a Texan.The captain says, "Only 3 of you have to go."The Englishman pushes all aside and exclaims, "Long live the Queen," and jumps to his death.Not to be outdone, the Frenchman shouts, "Vive la France," and jumps.Seeing this, the Texan yells, "Remember the Alamo," and tosses the Mexican out!Best regards.Luis

Hullo All!Yes I am doing ok. I do not recall if it's common knowledge here, but I did stop a heart attack recently. I am back to work (some do call it that).But the reason for no post this week (besides the fact that there was indeed no short final save the Brother Luis posting) is that I was away on a long weekend to Kalamazoo, Michigan.Well, close to Kalamazoo. I went to the burg of Three Rivers, Michigan to satisfy my other hobby. Playing with locomotive horns and steam whistles.Whilst Brother Jerry has a garage filled with airplane, I have one filled with diesel air horns and one particularly nice steam whistle.This past weekend was the tenth annual gathering of collectors of such devices at Boot Hill, Michigan. I had never been there before, so off I went.Last year I got very lucky and purchased a Santa Fe Railroad steam whistle. For those into such things, it's a cast iron five chime step top whistle. And it is marked ATSF, which is a bit unusual. I had not had the required air or steam supply beforehand to see what it sounded like.Some other collector offered me double what I paid for it last year. So, I cleaned it up and hooked it up. Oh my does it sound nice. It reminds you of the whistle heard on the old sitcom, "Petticoat Junction."I have a digital recording of this beauty if anyone wants it.I also visited the Kalamazoo Air Zoo while I was in the area. Quite a nice collection of aircraft including an SR-71 trainer and many of the US Navy WW2 single engine fighter aircraft.So, that's where I was.Doc Bryant

Definitely, Doc. If it is not too large, why don't you just zip it up and attach it here, so that everyone can enjoy it. Turn those speakers up REAL loud!Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:It's pretty good sized, above the server limits I think. Yep. 988 kb of sound. Joe, your copy is on the way!Doc